Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad, bad carwash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three things went wrong with my first carwash yesterday.

Like buying insurance, having the Model 3 washed was one of the things I never looked forward to and put off as long as possible. I took delivery on July 2, and this was my first carwash. I have three more days left before not having insured the car becomes an issue.

I asked the guy who takes the cars in if they know about Teslas. Yes, yes, he said, and did I leave the key card? Encouraged, I did.

They drove the car onto the self moving line and left it in park or perhaps in autohold. Horribly, the car started bucking up as the rollers came up from behind and failed to move it. The rollers then went under and came out from under the front wheel, bumping the car up momentarily. Did it three times before a guy who knew how to drive a Tesla chased the guy who didn't. Don't know if any permanent damage was done, but my heart broke every time. I just about jumped out onto the wash line.

The second bad thing was no fault of washers or Tesla (I think), but as the towel guy finished drying her off, I pointed out some spots on the hood. He put some extra Simple Green, or what do they use, and wiped it clean, but the spots didn't come off. He called the guy who spoke English, who explained that it is bird sh!t and nothing can be done as paint is already damaged. Weird, because the car has always been garaged at home and at work, and on a few occasions where it sat for a few hours out in a park, I did not notice any splats on it other than the steadily growing layer of dust. I still don't know and may never know where the spots came from. There are three in all, one toward the center of the hood, two on the edge nearest the windshield. They are only noticeable in certain light from a certain angle, and they have a smooth wavy texture to them as if the paint, indeed, were damaged. The shape of the spots is that of a splat, consistent with the expert opinion of the carwash guy. But splats of what? And when? For all I know they may have been there from day one and I only noticed them when I looked closely for the quality of the wash/dry, but not when I took delivery.

Other than that, because the wash uses soft hanging stripes, not bristles, no damage to the paint and, as far as I know, none to the cameras or radars.

The third bad thing came up as I opened the door, and then the other three doors. There was water on the inside of the door frame. Yes, I know, high powered wash and all, but this has not happened to my two German cars I take there. I made a show of drying the door frames with their towel I found in a bin and did not even ask for half of my $2 tip back. I am sure they would have felt terrible, but they already moved on to the next car.

Needless to say, no more automatic washes for me. I will either invest in a two bucket rinseless system or pay the guys who wash the cars by hand at the office.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Use ONR works great! I don’t use 2 bucket I just spray on and either wipe if I have time or spray with deionized water and leave in sun to dry as deionized water won’t leave spots

I saw your post about ONR on the other thread and I bought one from Amazon to try it out. It supposes to come today. :p I got the new one that including wax (green one). I have never heard of this before. I remember years ago when I actually wash my own cars, I used the 2 buckets system. After the kid, I am just too lazy. If this works, I can certainly do this. Seems like is easier than driving to the car wash! My house already have the whole house water filter system, so the water should be spotless already I think.

I saw your post about ONR on the other thread and I bought one from Amazon to try it out. It supposes to come today. :p I got the new one that including wax (green one). I have never heard of this before. I remember years ago when I actually wash my own cars, I used the 2 buckets system. After the kid, I am just too lazy. If this works, I can certainly do this. Seems like is easier than driving to the car wash! My house already have the whole house water filter system, so the water should be spotless already I think.

Yah this is easy to wash with if u have whole house water you can spray and let dry in sun :p.. or blow off with leaf blower

• Disagree
Reactions: Numonefan
I use ONR pre-soak spray followed by 2 bucket method and can get it done in under an hour.

I've experienced similar horror stories at my local car wash where they didn't know how to operate my hybrid Camry and it jumped the tracks then was rear-ended by the next car. No thank you. Never again.

My Amazon order of ONR, and a couple buckets come today also. @P85_DA should get a commission.. lol

Yah this is easy to wash with if u have whole house water you can spray and let dry in sun :p.. or blow off with leaf blower

I see you are one with the laziness. Props to you fellow lazy car cleaner!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Need
Paint etching from bird crap can be permanent depending upon the depth but if you bring it to a professional detailer (or even a good weekend warrior), he might be able to polish out the etching.

I'd stop running it through auto-washes though and maybe put a good quality paint sealant on it to protect against more bird poo.

• Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
Sorry to hear about your car wash experience, as other noted - NEVER take a Tesla through an automatic car wash of any sort.

I also wash my car with ONR and it makes is so easy to wash since I have my entire car coated with Ceramic Coating (Ceramic Pro 9H)

Only use 1 wash bucket with ONR solution and have separate microfiber towels for each section of the car (Front, Sides, Rear, Windows)
I put some ONR solution in a spray bottle to loosen up the dirt and pre-soak/lubricate the car for washing with a wash mitt.

Hope this helps!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Use ONR works great! I don’t use 2 bucket I just spray on and either wipe if I have time or spray with deionized water and leave in sun to dry as deionized water won’t leave spots

Simple Chuck's Double Chuck - CR Spotless Water Systems
If I understand correctly ONR is Optimum No Rinse, and refers to the detergent proper, while the buckets one pay put it in and the mitts one may apply it with and cloths one may wipe it off vary. Is this the correct product? https://www.amazon.com/OPT-Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

The link you published appears to be for deionizing the water to make drying superfluous.

If I understand correctly ONR is Optimum No Rinse, and refers to the detergent proper, while the buckets one pay put it in and the mitts one may apply it with and cloths one may wipe it off vary. Is this the correct product? https://www.amazon.com/OPT-Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

The link you published appears to be for deionizing the water to make drying superfluous.

Correct that is the one ..green one just adds wax to the solution ,..the link I posted is what I use to spray the car off when I’m lazy and don’t want to dry:oops: ...u can literally spray the car and leave in sun to dry without water spots...

• Disagree
I see the two bucket system and no bucket (waterless) system here. In between is the one bucket system. I find this to be the best compromise between ease/time and effectiveness. One bucket, no grit guard, several (4-5) good microfiber towels, one good microfiber drying towel. Make ONR solution (1 ounce to 2 gallons water), dump the MF towels into the solution. Fold first MF towel into 1/4, wipe down one panel, flip towel, wipe down second panel. Go back and dry both panels. Doing it this way, you can do 4 panels with one towel. Once, you've done 4 panels, that MF towel is done for the session. Repeat with other MF towels, from top to bottom. This way, dirt never enters the bucket, so you don't need a grit guard. It also means you can re-use the solution next time.

Ok maybe I confused I use a lazier method ...no bucket ..I have this stuff in a chemical guy pressurized pump( or flow master from Home Depot ) works ..than just spray on ..either I will wipe with microfiber ..or blast with deionized water and let sit in sun ..either way one bucket,2,3 this is easiest method I have found ..and I typically don’t like washing cars :p

• Disagree
Ok maybe I confused I use a lazier method ...no bucket ..I have this stuff in a chemical guy pressurized pump( or flow master from Home Depot ) works ..than just spray on ..either I will wipe with microfiber ..or blast with deionized water and let sit in sun ..either way one bucket,2,3 this is easiest method I have found ..and I typically don’t like washing cars :p
I use a foam cannon with an electric pressure washer so I don't have to wipe with microfiber or use buckets, but I haven't gotten a deionized water system, so I'm always rushing to dry it off (with waffle micro fiber towels) super quickly before the hard water bakes onto the paint (in the evening when the sun has passed but before it's dark). I'll have to look into Simple Chuck's.

I cringed so bad while reading the original post, I think my sides hurt imagining what they did to your car. I used to take my civic through those automatic "hand" washes. But before I got my Model 3, I had already researched and bought all I needed for the one bucket wash. It turns out that I actually enjoyed washing my car, and it didn't take anytime at all.

Depending on how much you want to keep your car looking shiny and new, you could consider getting your front wrapped with PPF to protect against rock chips. Then have your whole car coated in ceramic coating, which will help you protect against bird droppings and make washing much easier. You just have to remember to spot clean when you do see the droppings, don't let them sit for too long. The detailer will likely do a paint correction on your car before laying the PPF/ceramic coating, which will fix up the issues you've spotted.

I cringed so bad while reading the original post, I think my sides hurt imagining what they did to your car. I used to take my civic through those automatic "hand" washes. But before I got my Model 3, I had already researched and bought all I needed for the one bucket wash. It turns out that I actually enjoyed washing my car, and it didn't take anytime at all.

Depending on how much you want to keep your car looking shiny and new, you could consider getting your front wrapped with PPF to protect against rock chips. Then have your whole car coated in ceramic coating, which will help you protect against bird droppings and make washing much easier. You just have to remember to spot clean when you do see the droppings, don't let them sit for too long. The detailer will likely do a paint correction on your car before laying the PPF/ceramic coating, which will fix up the issues you've spotted.
I meant to buy washing supplies, but between laziness and indecisiveness did not, have not. I enjoyed washing my cars when both they and I were young. Now I want the pros to take care of it. A guy washes them at the office by hand for $20, including interior. The problem is, the car had gotten really dirty and my kid had some friends she wanted to drive around, so I thought I had to get it washed just then. Never again.