Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad, bad carwash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.. who could possibly beat a Dos Equis story? I wish I could tell them like that.

To be fair, while I'm sure it is possible to take your car through an automated car wash, I personally, in the worst case scenario only ever use a hand-wash place on any car I own, or perhaps one of those token-run jet washers, or use my own at home. So I get where you guys are coming from.

I did have one car that I just never washed full stop. But that's a story involving a car that was destined for the scrapyard, a fence paintbrush for creosoting and a few litres of surplus army green paint. Oddly enough I never seemed to have any trouble parking as space seemed to materialise around me.

Last edited:
I see the two bucket system and no bucket (waterless) system here. In between is the one bucket system. I find this to be the best compromise between ease/time and effectiveness. One bucket, no grit guard, several (4-5) good microfiber towels, one good microfiber drying towel. Make ONR solution (1 ounce to 2 gallons water), dump the MF towels into the solution. Fold first MF towel into 1/4, wipe down one panel, flip towel, wipe down second panel. Go back and dry both panels. Doing it this way, you can do 4 panels with one towel. Once, you've done 4 panels, that MF towel is done for the session. Repeat with other MF towels, from top to bottom. This way, dirt never enters the bucket, so you don't need a grit guard. It also means you can re-use the solution next time.

How do you clean your dirty towels when done? Just put them all in a regular clothes washer? Or a little more detailed than that?

Hehe, I was thinking more like 7 min... spray, wash with ONR, dry. If I am not too tired tonight, I will try to do it and report back tomorrow. :p

Okay so, my original plan of spending 7 min turned out to be more like 40 min. :p But I have to say it is a lot easier without rinsing and worry about the car dry up too fast leaving water spots. I did the wash under 96 degree sun. Also I didn't realize the X is so huge that even with a step stool it is hard to reach the center of the windshield and roof. But here some pics. Notice that I took that last pic as soon as I was done with the last wheel. There is no water on the ground. I pretty much just used about 1 gallon of water.

hood_dirty.JPG
hood_clean.JPG
clean_x.JPG

• Love
Reactions: SpudLime and P85_DA
How do you clean your dirty towels when done? Just put them all in a regular clothes washer? Or a little more detailed than that?

Good mocrofiber towels need to be washed separately from other clothes. There should be wash directions in the package you get. But basically, wash separately using dedicated microfiber detergent or liquid detergent on higher heat setting. Then dry on low heat but DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER SHEETS. No bueno for microfibers.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and SpudLime
To make your roof easier to clean on my X, I lower the suspension when I am doing the top. Then raise it up so I don't have to bend over so far to wash the lower portions.

I recently bought a microfiber wash mitt on the end of a short extension pole. Can wash every part of the car (except wheels) in 1/2 the time and little effort. Walk around the car 3 times and it is done :)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
To make your roof easier to clean on my X, I lower the suspension when I am doing the top. Then raise it up so I don't have to bend over so far to wash the lower portions.

I recently bought a microfiber wash mitt on the end of a short extension pole. Can wash every part of the car (except wheels) in 1/2 the time and little effort. Walk around the car 3 times and it is done :)

I got the pole too and yeah it was easy to wash the top. Drying was not LOL. You know those car magazines with female models lying on top of sport cars? Well it was kind of like that yesterday.. except with a 200 lb sweaty male trying to clean the center of the windshield and hope the glass roof/windshield was not going to crack!

I got the pole too and yeah it was easy to wash the top. Drying was not LOL. You know those car magazines with female models lying on top of sport cars? Well it was kind of like that yesterday.. except with a 200 lb sweaty male trying to clean the center of the windshield and hope the glass roof/windshield was not going to crack!

I like the first visual much better than the second.