Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Basic Autopilot experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in basic auto pilot in my new Model 3 vision only.
This happened at an highway intersection:

- stopped behind car at red light
- Activated auto pilot
- Street Light turned green
- It followed the car infront of me past the light
- Right after the street light, my teslas wheel pretty much fully turned right, and was about to drive straight into the car beside me.
I intervened and stopped it

Very very odd, wouldn't it have seen the car beside me?
I know basic autopilot doesn't do lights, but I feel this is more an intersection problem where the system is not detecting the lanes properly.

I basically don't want to use my basic autopilot near any lights anymore.

...my teslas wheel pretty much fully turned right, and was about to drive straight into the car beside me...I feel this is more an intersection problem where the system is not detecting the lanes properly...

I had that problem with older firmware versions but it's much better now and it seldom happens anymore. But my version is radar-equipped firmware. Maybe in writing up for radarless firmware, there's some regressions in this function for radarless firmware.

In theory, it should not because it's vision-related and not radar-related.

Very very odd, wouldn't it have seen the car beside me?

Agreed. That's what vision is all about. It should see what you see. But reality can be different.

I basically don't want to use my basic autopilot near any lights anymore.

I always have at least one hand with counter-torque on the steering wheel so I can feel its steering in real-time and react to it effortlessly and seamlessly. I don't quit using it just because it steers incorrectly.

Reactions: TresLA and henderrj
There is an intersection here where that happens consistently. See below - westbound road ends at a "T" with a light, 2 lanes turning right/one left.

Problem is when you are northbound in the right lane. AP sees the guide markings for the 2 westbound lanes turning right. Northbound the car will attempt to follow those markings, essentially changing lanes to the left. Regardless if it's occupied or not. 🤫

It's obvious to the human driver but elusive to AP. As stated it needs constant supervision and potential immediate driver correction at all times.

Screenshot_20210630-102231_Earth.jpg