Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad behavior. Remember, we are Ambassadors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard from two separate people now about someone who is a (very active) member of this message board in my area who has been driving like a jack ass in his Model S.

He even gloats about his misbehavior on the roads at times on this board. I would like to say something but I feel like I'll just come across as more of a douche than I already do.

I've heard from two separate people now about someone who is a (very active) member of this message board in my area who has been driving like a jack ass in his Model S.

He even gloats about his misbehavior on the roads at times on this board. I would like to say something but I feel like I'll just come across as more of a douche than I already do.

I support public shaming (unless it's me then hush up) :tongue:

If the charger is at a theater, I expect people to come back when the movie is done. If its at a shopping mall, I expect people to come back after shopping (or when they have a reasonable opportunity after it finishes). Id only expect to see the car moved instantly if there is nothing else to do in the vicinity of the charger.

I find this reasonable for the most part. There might be a few exceptions... such as taking one of only a few charging spot while you are at something like a theme park for 12 hours, when you only need a couple of hours charge.

And only if you really need it. If you already have sufficient range in the pack, park elsewhere. But if you do, then plug in and finish your movie.

If the sign in front of the ev charger says ev parking only... I wouldn't be surprised/upset if someone parked there and didnt charge. The best thing to do is to have two stalls for each charger so one can be used for parking and the other for charging.

if the spot has signage that says for ev charging... I'd expect the, to be charging, at least initially, and then come back when their errand is done.

Here I disagree some. While certainly signage could be more specific for some places (and charging spots could be located so others covet them less), while we are still in the Wild-N-Woolly Pioneer days of EV adoption and public charging, I think it would be helpful if the EV community realizes public chargers are still a somewhat scarce commodity. As such, don't obstruct it's being utilized by folks in the need.

That being said, if it is a supercharger I expect that they plan their activities to be within 15 or 20 minutes of the car finishing charging.

I'd be ready for the mainstream populace to have very differing opinions and habits on this issue, most of which I doubt will be nearly as strict to the etiquette suggested here by a lot of early ev adopters and strong ev advocates. Be prepared for the fact at most owners aren't as dedicated to ev and ev outlets like this forum and don't know/share this etiquette.

Agreed.

Until public charging infrastructure is abundant enough that this becomes a non-issue, it would be nice if we as a community look beyond what's "allowed" for spots like these, and instead do our best to determine what be in the best interests of the community as a whole.

If technically you are "allowed" to park there because you have an EV, but don't need it, why block the charger for the poor guy who is searching for something on plugshare that will get him to his hotel on vacation? We'll all appreciate similar consideration the next time we are in a bind.

Besides, parking at the far end of the lot prevents door dings. :)

I leave my cell phone number on the dash if there is only a few available chargers in the area.
There is always that chance that someone else has an emergency to tend to.
Yep. I left a note on the dashboard when I was in the "one and only" charging spot in the garage I was in, saying "If you need to charge while I am plugged in, call me at XXX-XXXX-XXXX".

Of course, I arrived to find that I'd been unplugged without notice by a Volt.

I managed to actually meet the Volt owner later, he apologized for not looking at my dashboard and then asked a lot of admiring questions about my car. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes! Unless an abundance of charge stations arise (doubtful, I think battery tech will improve faster), don't use a charge station (or worse, merely occupy the space) just because you can. Leave it available for someone who needs the charge!
In the bitterly cold weather on my road trip (down to 5 F), with unplowed roads and appalling mileage, I started charging whereever I could just to fight the vampire losses from battery heating, even if I didn't "need" it. But I left a note on my windshield, as noted before -- if someone else needed it more, that's fine, I just would like to know what's happening.

- - - Updated - - -

There are other issues at play here that add confusion to the issue. In some jurisdictions EV parking is provided as incentive to get an EV. Another is availability, for example in the Northridge Mall there is one charger yet two "electric vehicle" parking spaces. Clearly they aren't requiring vehicles to charge in order to park.
Actually, I think it's generally a good idea to have extra spaces per charger for the following reasons:
(1) insurance against ICEing
(2) Charging, but parking for *a longer time* than you are charging, which is perfectly reasonable behavior, especially since charging time can be unpredictable. If I'm parked at a charger but I'm *done*, I would be OK with someone else pulling up in the next space and taking the charger, but I may not want to hike back from whatever store or restaurant I'm at right that minute.

Besides, parking at the far end of the lot prevents door dings. :)

I actually think it's a good idea to locate charging points in slightly inconvenient parking spaces -- NOT the ones closest to the facility door. This makes ICEing much less likely.

Chatham Downtown Centre (Chatham, Ontario) did this correctly, with the charging spot being somewhat remote, not in the most attractive spots. Actually, that was a blast to visit, in a really unexpected way -- they have the only known surviving Detroit Electric sitting in the middle of the mall. A surprising treat. Anyone know who owns that?

That being said, if it is a supercharger I expect that they plan their activities to be within 15 or 20 minutes of the car finishing charging.

I generally agree, but I think we may see a problem develop at SC's located at hotels (such as the Marriott in Flagstaff). Of course they are installing a boatload of chargers and the spots are far from "coveted" but still, setting up an SC in a hotel parking lot? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but not sure it's a good one.

I actually think it's a good idea to locate charging points in slightly inconvenient parking spaces -- NOT the ones closest to the facility door. This makes ICEing much less likely.

Chatham Downtown Centre (Chatham, Ontario) did this correctly, with the charging spot being somewhat remote, not in the most attractive spots. Actually, that was a blast to visit, in a really unexpected way -- they have the only known surviving Detroit Electric sitting in the middle of the mall. A surprising treat. Anyone know who owns that?

I knew the day would come where we would wholeheartedly agree upon something. Write it down. Today is THAT day. Wednesday, January 8th, 2014. YES. I wish the EV spots were NOT the coveted parking spots. It will stop the whole 'EV drivers are just a bunch of entitled rich people' mentality.

Unfortunately, it is almost always cheaper to place those spots closer to the building ... less wiring to run. Imperfect world, I know. But in 'Bonnie's World', this would not be a problem. Just sayin'.

Today's the day (okay, one day) that I don't agree with Neroden:

Chatham Downtown Centre (Chatham, Ontario) -- they have the only known surviving Detroit Electric sitting in the middle of the mall. A surprising treat. Anyone know who owns that?

Don't tell Union College that. They have an operational Detroit Electric on display at the Edison Tech Center in Schenectady*

(*unless that one is on loan to Chatham?????)

Proper Signage should indicate 'WHILE CHARGING '

IMG_0401.JPG

Today's the day (okay, one day) that I don't agree with Neroden:

Don't tell Union College that. They have an operational Detroit Electric on display at the Edison Tech Center in Schenectady*

(*unless that one is on loan to Chatham?????)

My apologies. I quite likely misread. More likely it's the only known survivor of its particular MODEL. Or maybe the information at Chatham was just wrong.

The other thing is, the Detroit Electric in the Chatham mall is certainly on loan from somewhere -- there's no way it lives there permanently -- but the information provided was really thin, so I couldn't tell who was lending it.

- - - Updated - - -

I knew the day would come where we would wholeheartedly agree upon something. Write it down. Today is THAT day. Wednesday, January 8th, 2014. YES. I wish the EV spots were NOT the coveted parking spots. It will stop the whole 'EV drivers are just a bunch of entitled rich people' mentality.

Unfortunately, it is almost always cheaper to place those spots closer to the building ... less wiring to run. Imperfect world, I know. But in 'Bonnie's World', this would not be a problem. Just sayin'.
Perhaps the secret is to place them close to the building but far from the front door. The breaker box is usually not at the front door....