Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad behavior. Remember, we are Ambassadors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Went to the movies this evening at the new Loudoun One Center in Ashburn, Virginia. This new facility features 2 GE WattStation chargers, which are of course unfortunately steps away from the movie theater, and are often ICEd. This evening, I observed a Model S blocking a charger...probably for hours while the owner was in the theater. I'm going to start carrying letters expressing "personal embarrassment" to post on Tesla vehicles parked this way.

Tesla-Loudon-Ice.jpg

What does the sign say? Electric vehicles only?

If so, technically he's allowed to park there. I don't encourage this at all. If you park there you should be charging, but if the sign doesn't say that... Well, you get me.

The sign should say: "Parking for charging Electric Vehicles only" something down that line.

The intent for what the space means is certainly there. There is already a notion that Model S owners are rich by default. To act as someone entitled just makes the situation and outsiders perception worse. This is just as bad as those ICEing a spot or someone parking in a handicapped spot when they are not handicapped.

As Lyon said - not cool.

Agreed.

Be considerate.

I live in Ashburn (and actually was the one who reported that charger when it was first put up). I don't recall seeing that color car around... wonder if they were local to the area...

Charger looks like it will reach two spots--maybe there was another car charging when the pictured vehicle arrived?

My bet is they were planning on charging. Then pulled in, realized the cord wouldn't make it. And instead of backing in, they recognized they had 10x more range than they needed already, and just didn't bother.

I remember the first time I pulled nose first into a spot, and the cord was about two feet too short to make the charge port. I thought about just leaving it, but ended up backing in only to find the charger was broken. I back in to charge spots now.

Way to assume good intent. :)

If that was possible, the driver could have been checking back every 15 minutes or so. We don't know.

I agree that in these situations it is always best to assume there could possibly be a reasonable explanation. I've learned so much from a few friendly chats with drivers of cars that were blocking charging stations.

Is there a recognized protocol to use when you can park within reach of an in-use charging station? Would it work to insert the J1772 adapter and leave a note to the driver of the other car to plug you in or call your mobile? I have used this particular station myself and I recall that it is free so you wouldn't be asking to charge on the other driver's dime if they initiated the session.

Lanny

I was at the mall the other day at a bank of chargers with signs that clearly stated "For EVs Only While Charging". When I came out, a Leaf was backed in to one of the spots... not charging. It's bad enough when an ICE car takes up these spots. Please let's not start doing to ourselves!

Way to assume good intent. :)

If that was possible, the driver could have been checking back every 15 minutes or so. We don't know.

I am an eternal optimist.

There are two lessons here: 1) don't behave badly, as this driver was conceivably doing, and 2) don't jump to too many conclusions based on a single picture.

I'm also local to this charger and actually have never charged publicly before, so want to learn general etiquette: if I were going in to see a 3 hour movie and knew I only needed to charge for 30-45 minutes is it okay to park at an EV spot and charge? Leaving a note to call me if the next person needs the charger is another thought, although I probably wouldn't want to leave in the middle of the movie, so wouldn't leave a note...

Also, can you tell by looking at the charge port or charger itself that active charge is going on?

I'm also local to this charger and actually have never charged publicly before, so want to learn general etiquette: if I were going in to see a 3 hour movie and knew I only needed to charge for 30-45 minutes is it okay to park at an EV spot and charge? Leaving a note to call me if the next person needs the charger is another thought, although I probably wouldn't want to leave in the middle of the movie, so wouldn't leave a note...

Also, can you tell by looking at the charge port or charger itself that active charge is going on?

It's a good question, but practically it isn't really an issue--30 to 45 min charging at a J1772 isn't going to get you much in the way of range.

I would leave a note, though--if you have to duck out of the theater, you have to duck out. Imagine being on the other end of that--i.e., having a Leaf or similar and desperately needing a charge to get home.

If you only need to charge for a short time, you probably don't need the charge to get home (versus the Leaf who might be in trouble without access to the charger). So I agree with JST. Leave a note if you decide to plug in & leave the movie if you have to. The other option is to park in a non-charging spot, if you don't want to get up during the movie.