Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bad cell 2013 s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got the fatal display battery charge level restricted and car turns off module # 5 has a weak cell and for the extra bonus no warranty has anyone has any luck opening the pack swapping out 1 module with a good known besides grubber motors who snips and cut cell out its a long haul from new york to midwest

I've just done this myself. Opened the pack up, repaired a module and put it back together again. I found that cell group 66 was showing 0.9V with all the other cell groups all at 3.645V.

I bought a complete module to replace it with, but the fault was actually just a dry joint in the slave BMS. The cells were fine, all measuring the correct voltage but the BMS was measuring the voltage incorrectly.

Here's a picture of the dry solder joint on the slave BMS of module 11 that caused my issue. The picture was taken under a microscope, the actual pin in the photo is 1mm square.

I suspect that a lot of battery pack failures are actually caused by these types of faults and the cells themselves are OK.

Attachments

• fr_7403_size880.jpg
    fr_7403_size880.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 595
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
They are logically laid out in the pack luckily. Starting from the negative contactor, the voltage increases in order from group 1 to 96 (in an 85kwh pack). If you are looking at the pack from the contactor end, module 1 is closest to you on the right, module 2 on the left, module 3 next row right, then 4 left etc. 15 and 16 are the two on top of each other at the far end. 6 cell groups per module.

There is a part number on the slave BMS, there are a few versions but are commonly available on eBay.

yes it is salvage bought it with slight hit drivers headlight assem and cracked radiator support drivers bag deployed, been driving the car almost a year fixed mcu screen drivers door handle upgraded the speedo head version 2 and now hv battery thank you red_five for the info, let the forum know what happens its going to be after the new year happy holidays

Reactions: red_five
I sincerely think Tesla or 3rd party shops should comeup with solution for fixing dead cell or dead module rather than replacing battery packs.

There are 2012 cars that will be running out of warrenty pretty soon & Tesla's approach to replace battery pack at 15k for one dead cell or one dead board isn't going to be worth the value of the car.

I sincerely think Tesla or 3rd party shops should comeup with solution for fixing dead cell or dead module rather than replacing battery packs.

There are 2012 cars that will be running out of warrenty pretty soon & Tesla's approach to replace battery pack at 15k for one dead cell or one dead board isn't going to be worth the value of the car.

Pretty sure Elon is counting on that!

Yes I agree it's likely to be a BMS fault. Check the voltage across the terminals of all 16 of your modules. If they are the same then it's a BMS issue. You can wake the pack up and talk to it out of the car, but you do need a CAN analyser like SavvyCAN. Then you can check it's OK before putting it back in. Or swap out the BMS that you think is faulty and put it back in the car with the lid loosely attached to test it before sealing it up properly.

Resurrecting an old thread that shows pack failure from cold solder joints. Most HV pack replacements are done by Tesla without any failure mechanism feedback so no stats.

In my auto repair experience, have encountered many ECU/TCM/instrument cluster cold solder joint problems for variety of cars starting in the 2000s when lead-free solder transition started. Seen issues on both Europeans, Japanese vehicles. Computer boards encountered the same problem in this time frame as well. I've fixed about 10x Apple 27" LED displays with same lead-free solder problem (edge lit LED connector solder joint weaken by thermal cycling). Of course the lead-free transition is for environmental/health reasons. However, every laptop board level repair tech knows lead-free solder is much worse than leaded solder for a long lasting solder joint. Lead-free is brittle and cracks with thermal cycling (in computers and auto) and vibration (in auto). Repair techs always use leaded solder in the repair process (softer and much better at handling thermal cycles and vibrations)

An 85kw pack has at least 6x16 (96) solder joints to monitor voltage. They probably don't get much thermal cycling but certainly lives in a high vibration environment. I wonder how many pack failures are similar to post #5 #6 with failed solder joints? OPs issue with module 5 with lower voltage (post #4) measured fine after pulling the module and measured directly (post #17) so BMS solder joint is also the likely suspect. Unfortunately have no follow up from OP.

I guess @wk057 and @Recell might have some stats on this failure mode rather than water ingress or just individual cell failure.

Reactions: aerodyne and NV Ray