Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shafiq

Sep 27, 2021
This was the first time I had to go in for service and did not like it. My Model X started vibrating on acceleration. The first appointment I got was 2 weeks out. I canceled a road trip I was planning because of this. At the service appointment I was told that they would have to keep the car for about 4 days. The service center gave me a loaner for that duration which was good. On the day I was supposed to get the car I did not get a text or call. I called in the next day, and it was very hard to find the phone number to call. It is hidden away under a lot of options. I was told that I can come and pickup the car, but the problem is not fixed. They have to get a part which will take another 2-3 weeks, at which time I have to schedule another appointment to do the work. So I've been driving and managing my driving style to avoid the vibration on acceleration. Overall it is going to be about 2 months turn around time to fix a problem which feels serious, even though Tesla service center says that there are no safety concerns and I can drive around. I am definitely not going on a long road trip until this problem is fixed.

To top off my woes, :), I ran out of charge while I had the loaner car with me. I was given the car with about 60 miles of charge on it. I charged as much as I could at home and went on a shopping trip the next day. The loaner model X probably ran out of charge sooner, but I had an EVGo charger nearby so I was good. Unfortunately the EVGo charger did not work. They claim to have Tesla charging, and they have a Tesla connector, but it did not work. I was with EVGo customer service for about 90 minutes and they could not fix it, :(. Anyhow, I ran out of charge during this time, so called Tesla road side assistance for the first time. I explained my situation to them, that my car was at the service center, and I was in the loaner car. They verified everything and put me on hold for about 2 hours. They then told me that you are not in your car, so it is not a covered service. They said that I am responsible for charging, and I should think of this as a rental car, and if I ran out of gas, it is my problem. I tried making my arguments against their silly excuses, but I was out of patience at this time, and just asked them how much it would cost. They took another hour to figure this out. I just wanted to see where they go with this. They came back and said that it would cost $300+. I declined the service.

While waiting on the call, I made a call to AAA on another phone. Within 5 minutes they scheduled a tow to the nearest Tesla Supercharger. The tow truck was there within an hour. They checked if my family was safe and wanted to arrange a Uber to our home. All fully covered. I was so thankful that I had AAA and got out of this situation.

Summary: Tesla service is really bad. I love my car, but I wish Tesla brings up their service to match the cars they are selling.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
As for the shudder … it is a known issue, has a known fix, and definitely isn’t a safety issue. It’s purely a comfort issue. If you’ve been awake the last year, you know supply chains everywhere are a mess. A parts delay right now is very normal — not just for Tesla, but for every manufacturer in every industry.

Sorry, I don’t call this bad service at all. You dropped off your car, they gave you a loaner (which YOU neglected), checked the vehicle thoroughly and let you know they’ll fix it as soon as the part comes in. In the meanwhile, they checked and verified your car is safe to drive.

On what planet is this bad service?

And yes, running out of battery is 100% on YOU.

Reactions: jboy210
This was the first time I had to go in for service and did not like it. My Model X started vibrating on acceleration. The first appointment I got was 2 weeks out. I canceled a road trip I was planning because of this. At the service appointment I was told that they would have to keep the car for about 4 days. The service center gave me a loaner for that duration which was good. On the day I was supposed to get the car I did not get a text or call. I called in the next day, and it was very hard to find the phone number to call. It is hidden away under a lot of options. I was told that I can come and pickup the car, but the problem is not fixed. They have to get a part which will take another 2-3 weeks, at which time I have to schedule another appointment to do the work. So I've been driving and managing my driving style to avoid the vibration on acceleration. Overall it is going to be about 2 months turn around time to fix a problem which feels serious, even though Tesla service center says that there are no safety concerns and I can drive around. I am definitely not going on a long road trip until this problem is fixed.

To top off my woes, :), I ran out of charge while I had the loaner car with me. I was given the car with about 60 miles of charge on it. I charged as much as I could at home and went on a shopping trip the next day. The loaner model X probably ran out of charge sooner, but I had an EVGo charger nearby so I was good. Unfortunately the EVGo charger did not work. They claim to have Tesla charging, and they have a Tesla connector, but it did not work. I was with EVGo customer service for about 90 minutes and they could not fix it, :(. Anyhow, I ran out of charge during this time, so called Tesla road side assistance for the first time. I explained my situation to them, that my car was at the service center, and I was in the loaner car. They verified everything and put me on hold for about 2 hours. They then told me that you are not in your car, so it is not a covered service. They said that I am responsible for charging, and I should think of this as a rental car, and if I ran out of gas, it is my problem. I tried making my arguments against their silly excuses, but I was out of patience at this time, and just asked them how much it would cost. They took another hour to figure this out. I just wanted to see where they go with this. They came back and said that it would cost $300+. I declined the service.

While waiting on the call, I made a call to AAA on another phone. Within 5 minutes they scheduled a tow to the nearest Tesla Supercharger. The tow truck was there within an hour. They checked if my family was safe and wanted to arrange a Uber to our home. All fully covered. I was so thankful that I had AAA and got out of this situation.

Summary: Tesla service is really bad. I love my car, but I wish Tesla brings up their service to match the cars they are selling.
I have been considering a AAA membership and your post gave me incentive to get one.