Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad experience at SF Hilton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like their primary service is leasing parking spaces, though they do offer short-term room rentals on the side.

I wonder if these EV spaces have been leased to other EV owners in which case they would probably be annoyed if they showed up at the spot they reserved for their EV and a hotel guest was using it. Perhaps this situation should be seen as an opportunity to convince the hotel to install some chargers for guest use in addition to the ones they are using for monthly parking spots since there is demand for both.

bonnie - if you have a chance, please update the hotel's entry on Plugshare with this crucial info. Keeping this sort of information accurate and up-to-date is a great way to help out fellow EV travelers. It just might help to redirect the next person to a different hotel. Think of it as paying it forward and sticking it to them at that Hilton all at the same time.

bonnie - if you have a chance, please update the hotel's entry on Plugshare with this crucial info. Keeping this sort of information accurate and up-to-date is a great way to help out fellow EV travelers. It just might help to redirect the next person to a different hotel. Think of it as paying it forward and sticking it to them at that Hilton all at the same time.

I will, of course, not only update entries in online EV databases, but Yelp, TripAdvisor, and other online review services. I post pics and information to PlugShare on a regular basis and have since I've owned an EV (well, okay, used to be Recargo). It's just what you do as a member of the community. But never hurts to remind people.

After the lackluster response from the day manager, I checked out. I'm still a little gobsmacked that the night manager actually asked me if I had asked what hours I could charge, as if it were my fault that I didn't know there were restrictions because they'd sold a hotel guest service to non-hotel guests. I'll also be sending a letter to their corporate office, explaining why I'll be avoiding their properties in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if these EV spaces have been leased to other EV owners in which case they would probably be annoyed if they showed up at the spot they reserved for their EV and a hotel guest was using it. Perhaps this situation should be seen as an opportunity to convince the hotel to install some chargers for guest use in addition to the ones they are using for monthly parking spots since there is demand for both.

Nope. I moved my Roadster at 5:30, went over to Starbucks for a coffee, came back, got ready, and checked out. When I went back to my car, there was an ICE parked in the spot I had been charging in all night. And what really was annoying was that (obviously) that ICE could have been parked anywhere. But that was *their* reserved spot.

Bonnie,

First of all, I'd like to applaud you on your way of handling all of this. I love that you're being so proactive about all of this and helping others.

Second, I recently stayed in downtown SF at the Grand Hyatt, I looked in advance and near their underground valet parking garage spots adjacent to the hotel, they have chargepoint level 2 chargers. The hotel wanted $66 a night for valet, so I parked it myself and ended up in the same exact spot the valet would've parked it in for $22 a night with free charging all night long. Next time try that garage instead, PM me if you need specifics!

Nope. I moved my Roadster at 5:30, went over to Starbucks for a coffee, came back, got ready, and checked out. When I went back to my car, there was an ICE parked in the spot I had been charging in all night. And what really was annoying was that (obviously) that ICE could have been parked anywhere. But that was *their* reserved spot.

Ok, that's insane, they deserve whatever bad reviews come their way!

It's not like Hilton San Francisco hasn't heard this complaint before. From a tripadvisor.com review September 2013:
" IF you manage to charge your EV overnight, you'd better be able to move your car by 7 am, because Hilton rented out the charger spot to an EV driver during the day!"

That suggests two things:

1. That Bonnie didn't look at TripAdvisor reviews (or: not carefully enough) - Caveat Peregrinator!!!!,

and

2. That the hotel was aware of this as a "pre-existing condition", and chose (that is, senior management did not otherwise so instruct its employees) not to notify its prospective clients.

No excuses available for you, Conrad.

I admit I didn't read every review available online. (Is that possible??) It's not like it's so podunk hotel in the middle of nowhere, where I'm wondering if they have clean rooms or not. It's a Hilton.

Anyway, I checked out, gave someone else my business, and made sure Tesla also knew of their poor behavior ... wouldn't want them getting on the destination charging program. But I will recommend every hotel around them. Everyone BUT them. EVSE-bombing. :)

I admit I didn't read every review available online. (Is that possible??) It's not like it's so podunk hotel in the middle of nowhere, where I'm wondering if they have clean rooms or not. It's a Hilton.

Rule of thumb is that the larger the hotel chain, the worse the service. I always use B&Bs now if there is one in the area.

I suspect I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't like B&Bs. At all. My experience has been totally hit and miss on those.

With the larger chains, I've had some pretty good experiences. If you travel a lot, for instance, there is a lot to be said for sticking with one chain and always having the same brand of bed/linens ... easier to fall asleep, wherever you are. Crazy, but true. After awhile, it just feels like home. When the TeslaRoadTrip guys were coming to this area, I got them a discounted rate at my favorite chain, Larkspur Landing. And they found it to be price competitive, yet easily the most luxurious of where they'd stayed. (And Larkspur was so excited by the Model S crew that they're not only putting in HPCs in Roseville, but now talking about doing it across the chain.)

When the TeslaRoadTrip guys were coming to this area, I got them a discounted rate at my favorite chain, Larkspur Landing. And they found it to be price competitive, yet easily the most luxurious of where they'd stayed. (And Larkspur was so excited by the Model S crew that they're not only putting in HPCs in Roseville, but now talking about doing it across the chain.)

All of what you said about the Larkspur Landing is true!! And I will add that the staff of the Larkspur Landing were the friendliest too.

Thanks Bonnie for setting that up for us and great news about the Larkspur chain looking to install HPCs throughout the chain. The Superchargers are great but destination charging is important too.

All of what you said about the Larkspur Landing is true!! And I will add that the staff of the Larkspur Landing were the friendliest too.

Thanks Bonnie for setting that up for us and great news about the Larkspur chain looking to install HPCs throughout the chain. The Superchargers are great but destination charging is important too.

You guys helped make that happen. They liked the kind of guest that destination chargers will bring to their properties. :)