Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad experience with FSD Subscription refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my Plaid is a lemon. Literally. It's been broken the majority of the time I've owned it and I'm having them buy it back.

Recently I had a particularly infuriating experience with the FSD subscription. I set it up a few months ago for a long road trip and in hopes I'd get the beta. Neither happened in part because the car broke. In October. It's still in the shop today (so it's been months) both due to parts shortages and a general inability for the service center to test their work before delivering it back to me (I have twice gone to pick it up and it's still broken). They've even run it out of battery twice, once for an entire weekend. Just abysmal support.

Now, I recently check my CC statement and find Tesla is still billing me for the FSD subscription. This is surprising to me. It knows the car is broken and has been for months. Why would it still charge me?

Thinking this is obviously a mistake I call, only to be blamed by multiple support reps. I should have remembered to cancel it, they say, and the policy is zero refunds for any reason. Nevermind that there is no email reminding you your card is going to be charged (I get this for Tesla Solar but not for this). Never mind they never actually delivered the feature because the car doesn't boot. No refunds. Multiple agents confirmed this and told me no way.

Quite frankly I'm flabbergasted. It's not a ton of money but the "**** you we already charged your card" attitude toward a multiple-car customer and owner of a $140k flagship model is just beyond the pale. I think I'd get better service from any other company.

Quite frankly I'm flabbergasted. It's not a ton of money but the "**** you we already charged your card" attitude toward a multiple-car customer and owner of a $140k flagship model is just beyond the pale. I think I'd get better service from any other company.

This is indeed terrible. As was said above, I'd dispute the charge.

Now... I do think it was a little bit (like 2%) on you to stop the subscription once you knew your car was going in the shop (and then staying there... and staying there...) and to check your monthly bill since October. ...That said, if I were Tesla, I would absolutely refund the charge because it's both fair (i.e. you had NO CHANCE to get the value from the service) and because keeps the customer happy.

However, there are thousands of people behind you in line for the product you have, so maybe they don't feel like they need to earn customer goodwill right now. IMO, this will bite them in the a** eventually...

Dispute the charge. Good luck on the buyback.

Yeah. 2% is about right. That said I didn't have any way of knowing how long it would be in the shop. They said a couple days. You know how they string you along. They've called me to say it's fixed twice and it wasn't.

As for people in line - there's quite a bit of Plaid inventory now... Is anyone still in line?

So, my Plaid is a lemon. Literally. It's been broken the majority of the time I've owned it and I'm having them buy it back.

Recently I had a particularly infuriating experience with the FSD subscription. I set it up a few months ago for a long road trip and in hopes I'd get the beta. Neither happened in part because the car broke. In October. It's still in the shop today (so it's been months) both due to parts shortages and a general inability for the service center to test their work before delivering it back to me (I have twice gone to pick it up and it's still broken). They've even run it out of battery twice, once for an entire weekend. Just abysmal support.

Now, I recently check my CC statement and find Tesla is still billing me for the FSD subscription. This is surprising to me. It knows the car is broken and has been for months. Why would it still charge me?

Thinking this is obviously a mistake I call, only to be blamed by multiple support reps. I should have remembered to cancel it, they say, and the policy is zero refunds for any reason. Nevermind that there is no email reminding you your card is going to be charged (I get this for Tesla Solar but not for this). Never mind they never actually delivered the feature because the car doesn't boot. No refunds. Multiple agents confirmed this and told me no way.

File a chargeback with your CC company. I’ve found that, or letters from an attorney, are the only language Tesla understands.

There is definitely lower demand for Plaid. But there are people who have been waiting some months. These people generally were locked into a lower price. Tesla has been dumping new cars off the production line into inventory rather than delivering cars to some of these folks.

That said -- I do agree that there's a much longer queue for the LR (or just plain "Model S") version, and for Model X, all versions.

Once again, all the best with resolving your situation.

I completely see your point. I also imagine the FSD hand doesn't know what the repair hand is doing. i had similar issues with Mercedes.
if they have different monkeys in the FSD order department (or the same monkeys who give our EDD), they may not have authority to tell you the time of day, let alone issue a refund.
i'd imagine if you ever spoke with soemone higher up, or possibly whoever you're speaking with for the buy back, you may well get the refund from that department.
i was imagining a write up i may do if/when i ever get my car, and the terms that came to mind were "expect" and "accept" - we "expect" great service, and have to "accept" that it won't be.
my neighbor's plaid just bricked today, so i'm squeamish about my incoming S.
regardless, good luck!