Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad fit for tall people?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6'2" and fit OK with pano roof; fit in regular roof as well. The problem comes when exiting the driver's seat. Swivel and the only way to lift your own weight is with left knee extension.

I'm going to next experiment with a seat setting "Exit" that raises the steering wheel and advances the seat so that I can swivel on the seat to get two feet flat before exerting myself.
I have a driver profile called "Exit" that does just that. Kind of a pain at first but soon becomes second nature.

I test drove the S yesterday. Fell in love with the driving experience, but hated the front seat. I'm 6'3"; had plenty of leg room and just (barely) enough head room, but the lack of an adjustable headrest is a major problem and a deal breaker for me. The lump at the base of the fixed headrest stuck out right in between my shoulder blades, which made for a very uncomfortable ride. And the top of the head rest only came up to the top of my neck, not the top of my head -- which makes for a potentially dangerous situation in event of a crash.

Has anyone else out there run into this problem? If so, do you have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks.

This is a perplexing one. I'm 6-4, but long legged, so the headrest height is not bad. The pano roof will will provide some extra headroom up top, but it sounds like the seat back is your real problem. You might be able to have the existing seat backs modified by a good custom interior shop, adding more height to the headrests and changing the contour of the padding.

I had the same problem (I'm 6'3"), and have a great solution that is pretty inexpensive. I had Bascom Trim & Upholstery (in Santa Clara, but they have other locations throughout the Bay Area) trim about 1/4" of the foam off the lower portion of the headrest. They removed the leather from the top portion of the seat, had me sit in the seat to determine where the foam was hitting my neck/back, and trimmed it down. It took them less than 2 hours. I was prepared to do the same for the passenger seat, but you don't notice the difference between the front seat headrests unless you know what to look for, so I opted not to spend the extra money for that. Bascom was recommended by the Fremont SC to me (Tesla contracts with them for upholstery), and Ryan Bascom oversaw everything. I was totally impressed with their work.

Thanks for the big idea!

I had the same problem (I'm 6'3"), and have a great solution that is pretty inexpensive. I had Bascom Trim & Upholstery (in Santa Clara, but they have other locations throughout the Bay Area) trim about 1/4" of the foam off the lower portion of the headrest. They removed the leather from the top portion of the seat, had me sit in the seat to determine where the foam was hitting my neck/back, and trimmed it down. It took them less than 2 hours. I was prepared to do the same for the passenger seat, but you don't notice the difference between the front seat headrests unless you know what to look for, so I opted not to spend the extra money for that. Bascom was recommended by the Fremont SC to me (Tesla contracts with them for upholstery), and Ryan Bascom oversaw everything. I was totally impressed with their work.

Wow, I never, ever would have thought of this (and the guys at the Tesla store in San Rafael didn't either). Thanks for sharing both the ingenious idea and the reco on a source for getting it done.

I'm going to have to schedule another test drive and and reconsider my previous rejection of the Tesla.

Thanks again.