TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bad FM reception

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by rogelio888, Jul 22, 2013.

1. rogelio888

rogelio888 Member

I have a Model S about 2 months old. The FM reception, especially on news station is poor, with pops, crackles, etc. Any one experience this problem. This does not occur on ant of my other cars.

2. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

There have been reports of the antenna being grounded to painted metal... that would cause it. when did you take delivery?

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I have this issue too, my car was built in December...

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

No exceptions? All FM stations?

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

In my case the car is very susceptible to losing reception in valleys where my old car had not problems.
    It is unlistenable. (Listening to NPR is where I heard about the Model S, imagine what I may miss if I
    listen to something else :) ).

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yes, the FM reception is poor. One thing is to try TuneIn radio instead. The quality was a lot better for the radio stations I wanted to hear.

7. rogelio888

rogelio888 Member

May 10, 2013

8. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I would be interested in any aftermarket solution to this.

What about AM reception? Is this also poor?

9. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

It's weird, I was just noticing that with one particular station in my area (KPBS-FM). But it doesn't happen with any other station! And it makes those noises even on HD, which should be impossible because that's entirely digital. I don't understand what's happening.

10. ShortArc

ShortArc Member

My reception sucks. Mentioned it to the service manager but apparently it is not anything on their list.....

11. rogelio888

rogelio888 Member

After three attempts to correct the problem, it has become worse. Now Tesla is blaming the radio stations and bad placement of FM towers!. None of my other cars have this problem.

12. rogelio888

rogelio888 Member

The car has now gone back to service for the fourth time. I dot know whether Tesla can solve the problem.

13. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

HD will drop back to SD if the signal isn't good enough.

Poor FM reception is an issue I've had from the start. I live 45 miles from the towers and while every other vehicle and stereo in my home can receive signals with great clarity, the Model S is kinda fuzzy even on the strongest. They tried replacing my antenna amplifiers, but it seems to be an intrinsic problem with the in glass antennas and arrays that Tesla chose to use. The service center looked it over but ruled out technical issues... I demonstrated the difference on side by side cars. It still works, but HD cuts out now and then.

14. jmgoryeb

jmgoryeb New Member

Radio Reception

Live in northern NJ. Radio reception is weak. Has anyone done anything to boost reception?