Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad GPS Kills FSD, Autopilot, TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting about 3 weeks ago, my 2020 Model Y LR began dropping out of FSD mode and alerting me to take over immediately. Upon taking control, a message on the Nav screen said it failed due to a system error. Additionally, I began to experience FSD randomly slowing down and then momentarily signaling a left or right turn for no apparent reason. In all these cases I never looked closely at the Nav screen as I was busy taking over all driving responsibilities. As the frequency of occurrence began to increase I was able to calmly take over and was able to closely observe the Nav screen. What is showed was that FSD was properly charting a path down the road BUT the GPS was placing the car off the road. Often it looked like I was driving through people's front lawns and several times driving in the river. After a short interval, the GPS corrects itself and properly shows the location of the car. I found that this also happens with just Autopilot or TACC engaged.

Another odd thing I have noticed is that the windshield wipers automatically engage and spray fluid. A message on the Nav says the front cameras are obscured. In both cases the windshield is perfectly clean and it is not raining.

Contacting Tesla Service, they asked me to perform a "scroll wheel reset" which I did but with no improvement. I have a service visit scheduled for next week. I did have the front windshield replaced 14 months ago by Tesla due to a crack. I believe the GPS antenna is located in the same housing as the front cameras. Potentially, the mounting of the housing is at the root of this problem.

Anyone else experience such an issue?

Reactions: Riguy
I have two spots in my neighborhood that I can repeat where FSD beta drops out and alerts me to take over immediately. I've reported it a dozen times with no fix so far. I'm on 10.12.2. Not sure if it's GPS dropping out as you say but I've noticed the "tentacle" for the intended predicated path starts to flicker and disappear a few moments before FSD beta drops out and I get the take over immediacy message. Driving back and forth manually over these areas shows the same behavior (predicated path flickers and disappears momentarily).

I think it's related to a conflict between the vision system VS map data and the confidence of the predicted path goes to zero and FSD beta then drops out saying it can't continue.

As for the windshield wipers automatically engaging and spraying...yes to that as well. I've had it do this since late last year, almost every time I leave the car wash. I think it may be related to condensation building up in the front camera housing when there is a big temperature difference during the car wash but I'm not sure.

Reactions: MWhy
Report this to NHTSA. Tesla has this known issue but never issued a recall.

Actually, Tesla is taking this very seriously. I'm scheduled to meet with an engineer tomorrow for a ride-along. They will connect to my car and record all the data in an attempt to capture the problem so they can analyze it. Should be fun. :)

I’m having exactly the same symptoms on my M3P. Please update us of the progress on yours.
Today, Tesla first advised that I’d need a $2k replacement of my HW3 but, as a Hail Mary, they wanted to push a firmware update that supposedly “didn’t make it through” last night. GPS drift persisted on the first drive after update but is seeming gone after a reboot before a second drive. I mentioned to them the cabin camera issue during my initial call but I sensed no reaction. I’ve provided them this update through the app and requested confirmation that the firmware push has disabled the cabin camera: let’s see what, if anything, they will confirm. I obscured the cabin camera during a third drive and saw no “pay attention” nag: is this evidence that it’s been disabled?

Today, Tesla first advised that I’d need a $2k replacement of my HW3 but, as a Hail Mary, they wanted to push a firmware update that supposedly “didn’t make it through” last night. GPS drift persisted on the first drive after update but is seeming gone after a reboot before a second drive. I mentioned to them the cabin camera issue during my initial call but I sensed no reaction. I’ve provided them this update through the app and requested confirmation that the firmware push has disabled the cabin camera: let’s see what, if anything, they will confirm. I obscured the cabin camera during a third drive and saw no “pay attention” nag: is this evidence that it’s been disabled?
Sorry: just realized this is a Y forum!