Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Half Shafts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t understand Tesla not being able to make halfshafts that last. I purchased a 2018 model S a couple years ago with 32K miles and it needed them changed. The SC replaced them under warranty and said that they were replaced with an upgraded shafts. I only kept the car for a year after the new shafts were fine.
In December I purchased a 2020 model S LR with 20K miles and already at 24K miles I’m getting that grinding noise. I took Tec for ride and he said it’s bad halfshats. So brought to SC and now they are saying that is not fixing the problem and they are going to replace the drive unit.
Last car it was an easy fix and now they are saying the inner joint is impeding on the drive unit which makes it difficult to take apart for repair. This sounds strange to me so not sure what to expect.

Well, at least this didn't happen to you the day after they replaced the half shafts:

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Funny
Reactions: diddydee
I can’t understand Tesla not being able to make halfshafts that last. I purchased a 2018 model S a couple years ago with 32K miles and it needed them changed. The SC replaced them under warranty and said that they were replaced with an upgraded shafts. I only kept the car for a year after the new shafts were fine.
In December I purchased a 2020 model S LR with 20K miles and already at 24K miles I’m getting that grinding noise. I took Tec for ride and he said it’s bad halfshats. So brought to SC and now they are saying that is not fixing the problem and they are going to replace the drive unit.
Last car it was an easy fix and now they are saying the inner joint is impeding on the drive unit which makes it difficult to take apart for repair. This sounds strange to me so not sure what to expect.
I have a 2018 model x. I am currently needing the 6th set of half shafts.
Tesla latest gem is to claim (now it’s out of warranty) that it’s down to abuse.
It’s not abuse at all, my wife drives it on chill mode. Ive asked them to show me proof of their claim, and expect I have 1% chance of getting anything meaningful from them as they are the worst company I’ve ever come accross from service perspective.

I have a 2018 model x. I am currently needing the 6th set of half shafts.
Tesla latest gem is to claim (now it’s out of warranty) that it’s down to abuse.
It’s not abuse at all, my wife drives it on chill mode. Ive asked them to show me proof of their claim, and expect I have 1% chance of getting anything meaningful from them as they are the worst company I’ve ever come accross from service perspective.
I had this happen on my 2018 model s and they changed them with their claim that they are upgraded and will hold up. Well no way for me to know because I sold the car 1 year later and they were fine then but didn’t put a lot of miles on it.

I purchased my current 2020 model s in December with 20K on it and now at 24K started getting the grinding noise that the half shafts make. I just can’t believe by now that they have not figured out this problem yet. I would think there has to be an answer to this problem and it should be taken care of.

So far our experience with the SC’s in my area have been really good. I read a lot of complaints about their service but with our 2 teslas they have been excellent and have had no problems with the service.