Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad J1772 adapter or other problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can help dignose why my charge rates aren't at the right level. My work has recently installed the new Chargepoint chargers for us to use and for the first few weeks charging was at 20 miles per hour. The last friday I had trouble establising a good connection and get 205v but only 9A. I unplugged the adapter and reconnected it and it went charged at full current. Today I've tried reattching the adpter and moving to different charging stations but it now seems to make no difference.

I suspect this might be something wrong with the J1772 adapter not establishing a good connection, has anyone else experienced similar?

Thanks for the replies. I work with Kipernicus and he thought it might be that I was parking front first and the cord was pulling and making the adapter loose contact. I'll give that a try before replacing it.

efusco,
When it was low amps it would not allow it to be raised in the UI and capped it at 8 amps.

If the pilot signal pin doesn't engage, the car defaults back to minimum current (9A) for safety reasons. So yes you're probably right about the adapter. (Tesla was replacing old adapters whose part number ends in an "A" with ones that end with a "B", because they often didn't fit right.)

If the pilot signal pin doesn't engage, the car defaults back to minimum current (9A) for safety reasons. So yes you're probably right about the adapter. (Tesla was replacing old adapters whose part number ends in an "A" with ones that end with a "B", because they often didn't fit right.)

They replaced mine (an "A") when the glue holding it together failed. (and the adapter still worked:smile:)