Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad luck [kerbing alloys]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately cars are only new for a few hours. My last brand new car, on the first weekend I owned it I went to full wash, claybar and proper polish to protect it during which I found that someone had already scraped the rear bumper! Never bothered getting it repaired.

All Model 3 wheels seem to be 8.5 in wide. I would think it's also affected by particular tyre brand profiles. I would be interested to see if the 235 tyres on an 8 in rim width would provide better scuff protection by allowing more sidewall protrusion.
I totally agree, I think maybe the tyres are stretched to the wide wheel rim.
I used to know a race driver that said you'd do this as it prevents sidewall flex during high speed cornering (on race cars).
But at the expense of kerb protection.

Reactions: M3noob and Adopado
Just resurrecting this rather than creating a new post.

I have kerbed the wheels on my model Y more times in the last 5 months than I did on my Toyota in 12 years. Yesterday it was reversing into a charging bay.

The reason for posting this is that this is the first time that I have actually had tyre damage (at about 2mph) — see photo. In the forum's opinion is this a case of shrug and live with it or OMG get a new tyre immediately?

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 67
Just resurrecting this rather than creating a new post.

I have kerbed the wheels on my model Y more times in the last 5 months than I did on my Toyota in 12 years. Yesterday it was reversing into a charging bay.

The reason for posting this is that this is the first time that I have actually had tyre damage (at about 2mph) — see photo. In the forum's opinion is this a case of shrug and live with it or OMG get a new tyre immediately?
You need a professional opinion (sooner rather than later) but it looks potentially terminal. Sometimes it's just a lifted flake of surface rubber that can be stuck down but you need to be confident there's no structural damage.

Thanks for the replies. I checked with the guy who runs my local Tyreland. He reckons that the cut is not through to the carcass so it is unlikely to spontaneously fail. However it is a weak point so does need replacing sooner rather than later.