Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Luck M3P *Rant*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car has been a blast to drive and I've enjoyed all the features that it has to offer however it seems like luck has not been on my side. I bought my 2021 Model 3 Performance in March. A week after taking delivery, I must have ran over something on the freeway causing a huge gash on my passenger rear tire.

Fast forward to June. Driving on the freeway on my way to work I hit a pothole after a poor/failed repair job that was done overnight. This put a gash on the sidewall of the very sensitive Pirelli tire. This time it was on the driver front.

Fast forward to August and the very first time I leave the M3P parked overnight on my street, it gets backed into by a truck which left a nice square tow hitch sized indent on the front bumper. Sentry mode is disabled due to it being at my home address.

Fast forward to November. passenger front tire gets a nail that leaks 10 psi every 4 days. Got lucky with this one and was able to patch.

Fast forward to December. Driving on the freeway on my way to work and the car in front of me kicks up a rock and cracks my windshield.
December again. Mobile Tesla tech comes over to replace the interior driver side door panel due to it developing a strange wrinkle on the leather. During installation, the tech somehow punctured the speaker screen, punctured the leather next to it and broke the reflector that covers one of the bolts used to fasten the door panel.

But wait there's more!!! Today, there was a cone being bounced around on the freeway which magically made its way in front of my car. There was no room to avoid hitting it so I smack it dead on. The passenger fog light took the most damage causing it to crack in half and braking its tabs forcing it to become stuck within the void behind the bumper.

Out of all 7 vehicles I've owned in the past, this one has given me the worst luck. I've joked around saying I'm going to sell it just to buy another one and hope for better luck and am now somewhat considering it. The car gods hate me.

PXL_20220104_015139378.jpg

This car has been a blast to drive and I've enjoyed all the features that it has to offer however it seems like luck has not been on my side. I bought my 2021 Model 3 Performance in March. A week after taking delivery, I must have ran over something on the freeway causing a huge gash on my passenger rear tire.

Fast forward to June. Driving on the freeway on my way to work I hit a pothole after a poor/failed repair job that was done overnight. This put a gash on the sidewall of the very sensitive Pirelli tire. This time it was on the driver front.

Fast forward to August and the very first time I leave the M3P parked overnight on my street, it gets backed into by a truck which left a nice square tow hitch sized indent on the front bumper. Sentry mode is disabled due to it being at my home address.

Fast forward to November. passenger front tire gets a nail that leaks 10 psi every 4 days. Got lucky with this one and was able to patch.

Fast forward to December. Driving on the freeway on my way to work and the car in front of me kicks up a rock and cracks my windshield.
December again. Mobile Tesla tech comes over to replace the interior driver side door panel due to it developing a strange wrinkle on the leather. During installation, the tech somehow punctured the speaker screen, punctured the leather next to it and broke the reflector that covers one of the bolts used to fasten the door panel.

But wait there's more!!! Today, there was a cone being bounced around on the freeway which magically made its way in front of my car. There was no room to avoid hitting it so I smack it dead on. The passenger fog light took the most damage causing it to crack in half and braking its tabs forcing it to become stuck within the void behind the bumper.

Out of all 7 vehicles I've owned in the past, this one has given me the worst luck. I've joked around saying I'm going to sell it just to buy another one and hope for better luck and am now somewhat considering it. The car gods hate me.

View attachment 751643
I feel sorry for you but I have to disagree about part of what you said: "Out of all 7 vehicles I've owned in the past, this one has given me the worst luck." The car didn't give you this bad luck. And I don't believe in Karma either. As they say, "*sugar* happens".

Reactions: hcdavis3
Just a comment on my previous comment: I did not write "*sugar*" happens. I wrote what we all know I wrote. I won't call it censorship because it's just a comment on a website, but I don't want anyone to think I'm too prim and proper to spell out that word. So, ok, I won't spell out any of what George Carlin called the 7 deadly words on this website
You could say "poop occurs". I think that would be acceptable. Only quoting Juan Pablo Montoya.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I feel sorry for you but I have to disagree about part of what you said: "Out of all 7 vehicles I've owned in the past, this one has given me the worst luck." The car didn't give you this bad luck. And I don't believe in Karma either. As they say, "*sugar* happens".
I completely agree, all damage with the exception of the leather on my door panel has been outside influenced. I'm not a superstitious person but damn, sugar is happening way too often with this thing.

View attachment 751643
@BadM3P You might not have any paint damage at all. Try isopropyl alcohol, goo begone, or or paint thinner and all that back may just wash off, seriously.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
@BadM3P You might not have any paint damage at all. Try isopropyl alcohol, goo begone, or or paint thinner and all that back may just wash off, seriously.
Most of it did come off with some mineral spirits. There's only a small mark now that looks like it may rub off with some compound.
There are also really fine stress fractures on the paint from when the bumper flexed however they're really small and not noticable unless you're up close to the area.

Most of it did come off with some mineral spirits. There's only a small mark now that looks like it may rub off with some compound.
There are also really fine stress fractures on the paint from when the bumper flexed however they're really small and not noticable unless you're up close to the area.
Use some ceramic coating on that. Many options on Amazon, including relatively inexpensive ones as well.

Within the first year and within a certain tread wear all those hazard tire issues would have been covered under the Pirelli (if you have pirelli pzero) new tire hazard warranty. I just had 2 of my 2 month old Tesla's Pirelli tires replaced at no charge from Pirelli after hitting a monster pothole.

• Informative
Reactions: TXDawg and SPACE_EX
Within the first year and within a certain tread wear all those hazard tire issues would have been covered under the Pirelli (if you have pirelli pzero) new tire hazard warranty. I just had 2 of my 2 month old Tesla's Pirelli tires replaced at no charge from Pirelli after hitting a monster pothole.
I had no idea at the time. I just came across a thread on here that details all of that. Wish I had known sooner and wished Tesla or America's tires would have helped relaying this information.

I had no idea at the time. I just came across a thread on here that details all of that. Wish I had known sooner and wished Tesla or America's tires would have helped relaying this information.
Yah its sort of "hidden" in the fine print. I think its unfortunate that Tesla nor Pirelli/Americas Tire tell their customers about it without an inquiry.

I just came across this thread. I took delivery of my M3P on August 30, 2018 after the first car I was assigned was not delivered due to an unknown issue. On September 6, 2018 I was rear ended by a flatbed transport truck when traffic was stopped at an exit ramp. the car was repaired.

In May 2019, I was backing out of a space in a parking lot when another parent picking up their kid from the same kids birthday party in an F-150 backed into my car. The car was repaired.

Up to the moment I read this thread, I thought I had the worst series of events happening to my car. I now bow down to the OP.

Since, no more incidents.

Reactions: XPsionic