Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad luck? New windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So after just getting the model 3 back from the SC on Wednesday after they had it three days to replace a faulty charge door, now our windshield has cracked all the way across the driver side. It had a rock chip which was filled by safelite about 8-9 months ago and I think the extreme heat of 116 degrees in vegas this week caused it to crack across. A few questions:

1) Tesla states on the app they can get it in Tuesday morning for the windshield.....but last time we dropped our car off Monday and they didn't touch it until Wednesday. Do the service centers have special technicians that can get this done on time? We leave on a trip Saturday next week and need it fixed by then.

2) we made an appt as of right now with safelite as we've seen on here that they have the same tesla glass. They quoted us $1060 with tax which I believe is $600 less than what I've seen tesla is charging. Will the car recalibrate itself or do we then need to take it to tesla? Is there a special setting for that in the menu? (And just in time for our trip the following day 🙌)

We are now also contemplating maybe trading it in for a new model 3 or y just to avoid further issues as they usually come in threes.....

Any experiences with windshield replacements for SC's or safelite? Thanks for the input!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Called tesla and they were able to find an appt Wednesday. Said as long as they have the windshield which he believed they did, should take about a day to do and then about $980 with labor. Somehow cheaper than safelite and done by tesla themselves. Knock on wood, hopefully by Thursday will have the new windshield and be on our trip Saturday

Had rock damage repaired by Safelite a few months ago, so far, so good. Have some other small "dings" in the windshield. Really seems like Tesla cheaps out on the quality of windshield glass. I do very little highway driving and do not tailgate and never had this issue with previous vehicles.

So after just getting the model 3 back from the SC on Wednesday after they had it three days to replace a faulty charge door, now our windshield has cracked all the way across the driver side. It had a rock chip which was filled by safelite about 8-9 months ago and I think the extreme heat of 116 degrees in vegas this week caused it to crack across. A few questions:

1) Tesla states on the app they can get it in Tuesday morning for the windshield.....but last time we dropped our car off Monday and they didn't touch it until Wednesday. Do the service centers have special technicians that can get this done on time? We leave on a trip Saturday next week and need it fixed by then.

2) we made an appt as of right now with safelite as we've seen on here that they have the same tesla glass. They quoted us $1060 with tax which I believe is $600 less than what I've seen tesla is charging. Will the car recalibrate itself or do we then need to take it to tesla? Is there a special setting for that in the menu? (And just in time for our trip the following day 🙌)

We are now also contemplating maybe trading it in for a new model 3 or y just to avoid further issues as they usually come in threes.....

Any experiences with windshield replacements for SC's or safelite? Thanks for the input!
We had ours replaced after a small rock chip. Tesla has to recalibrate the camera. The combined cost in Colorado of Safelite windshield plus Tesla calibration was higher than Tesla doing the full job.
It may be my imagination, but the M3 glass seems more prone to cracking than other cars I've owned. So after the replacement, I had a clear vinyl wrap installed on the windshield and it has worked well for 2 years.

Just had mine replaced by Tesla Thursday. Brought car in at 8:30AM and was told I can wait for the 4hr repair. Chose not to wait, received a loner M3 and Friday rec'd a text car was ready. Total cost $936.31 billed to my cc. Travelers Insurance will reimburse 100 %. No deductible.

We had ours replaced after a small rock chip. Tesla has to recalibrate the camera. The combined cost in Colorado of Safelite windshield plus Tesla calibration was higher than Tesla doing the full job.
It may be my imagination, but the M3 glass seems more prone to cracking than other cars I've owned. So after the replacement, I had a clear vinyl wrap installed on the windshield and it has worked well for 2 years.
I’ve been looking for an option (cost effective, hopefully), that I could have installed. Would you mind sharing the product name and cost?

safelite does not do a good job fixing windshield chips

My rock chip on April 3 turned into a crack on April 5. I called Safelite on April 5th and guess what...I get a windshield installed today. Yep MONTHS to get a replacement windshield.
yes I had same issue and tesla says need to order, not in stock for windshield, plus says 3rd party could do it( like safelite), but I figure they probably charge extra fees to have one shipped, since not in stock and I worry about the camera calibration, done by 3rd party- quoted over $900 for tesla service center

Had rock damage repaired by Safelite a few months ago, so far, so good. Have some other small "dings" in the windshield. Really seems like Tesla cheaps out on the quality of windshield glass. I do very little highway driving and do not tailgate and never had this issue with previous vehicles.
yes I had same issue and tesla says need to order, not in stock for windshield, plus says 3rd party could do it( like safelite), but I figure they probably charge extra fees to have one shipped, since not in stock and I worry about the camera calibration, done by 3rd party- quoted over $900 for tesla service center in vegas.. Probably will get more glass insurance or change my insurance deductible to a lower amount? And yes I feel the windshield has cheap quality glass, never had an issue with other gas cars

My experience with my wife's Model 3 broken windshield was to find out who your local Tesla Repair facility uses for 3rd party repairs and replacement of Windshields. Then find out if that shop is on your Insurance Company approved list. If so, you will not have to pay out of pocket and then wait to get reimbursed for the windshield, only your deductible. Tesla does not submit the cost of the windshield to your insurance company for payment.

Yes, you will have to take your Tesla into to service center to have the forward camera recalibrated.