Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad news and a bit of good news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Failure to stop at the scene of an accident. If they don’t report it to the police themselves within 24h
How does the 24hours work? i.e. You'll need a crime ref number to give your insurance to claim as a hit and run so should you wait 24hours before informing your insurer?

Honestly insurance is such a con.
It's a gamble but they're that guy who knows how his horse will perform on those ground conditions, with that light and those jumps whereas we're the guy who chooses the horse with a funny name.

Applying 8 years of no claims to my M3P insurance only dropped it by around 20% which is also a con given that they quote 'average' reductions of over 50% for that level.

I have a quote from a local Toyota dealer that I can trust that has an excellent reputation for quality work. I need a new driver door and all the associated works, parts and labour. £2150! The door was struck just above the low crease line that runs parallel with the cill. There is a dent above the line and a bulge below it.

I would post the video but I’m not sure how to edit it to mask the number. It is very clear that they knew they had hit my car and left their car to check the damage. I can’t see any video after that but I doubt if they bothered to record my number.

Claim made. As has been said, my NCD won’t be affected but my premium will. Thankfully my claim has been deemed a ‘no fault’ claim and I won’t be paying an excess. The other driver is in for a shock. Not only will they receive a visit from our boys in blue but their insurance company will be getting in touch.

I have a quote from a local Toyota dealer that I can trust that has an excellent reputation for quality work. I need a new driver door and all the associated works, parts and labour. £2150! The door was struck just above the low crease line that runs parallel with the cill. There is a dent above the line and a bulge below it.

I would post the video but I’m not sure how to edit it to mask the number. It is very clear that they knew they had hit my car and left their car to check the damage. I can’t see any video after that but I doubt if they bothered to record my number.

Claim made. As has been said, my NCD won’t be affected but my premium will. Thankfully my claim has been deemed a ‘no fault’ claim and I won’t be paying an excess. The other driver is in for a shock. Not only will they receive a visit from our boys in blue but their insurance company will be getting in touch.
Sorry to hear about your incident.
Obviously your sentry mode is working well. I was wondering what you are using to record the footage in the car?

This is my worry with my current car, even though I have blackview front and back cameras, it doesn't always pick ups little things, that I hope sentry will.when I get my Tesla.

Got home one day and noticed some white dust on my driver's door, it had been dinged, and now there is just a tiny miniscule dull dent, but I know it is there.

After an accident both parties get a hike in their premiums so, over time, everybody ends up paying more regardless. The only way the price inflation slows is when there are no more accidents (but you'd still have damage from falling trees, amorous elephants or golf ball sized hailstones etc.etc). Roll on active sentry mode, enforced autonomy and transport-as-a-service... :p
everybody int he country unfortunately. remember the big thing for whiplash? everyoens insurance went up about 5% because of that until they got forced to stop reporting(the doctors) it as such.

Sorry to hear about your incident.
Obviously your sentry mode is working well. I was wondering what you are using to record the footage in the car?

I’m using this
64GB Sandisk Extreme Micro SD Memory Card In a USB adapter. It’s fast and not too expensive. I’ve used 7 Day Shop for years. I think they’re Jersey based.

I view the film in the TESLACAM app. In this app I can view all 4 video (front, rear and both sides) at the same time. The phone doesn’t give enough clarity fir serious close up but it’s helpful to identify why the sentry mode was triggered. We use Sentry Mode when we park away from home. The video is a bit clunky at times. There are gaps at the end/start of each clip so critical info might be missed. For example. People walking by the car the other night triggered sentry mode and I could see them clearly. What wasn’t clear is why they triggered it and not others. This happened for about 15 minutes until after my car was hit. After the person hit the car, she drove forward, got out of her car and walked towards my car. The video switched off at that point and if she went near the car, it didn’t show that and showed nothing after that incident. It’s almost like it switched itself off after being hit.

the individual files for each camera are in MP4 format and can be viewed in Windows Media Player or VLC player. No doubt others have their own app/ programme. The pictures were really clear. Car logo and model (Toyota Corolla hatchback) as well as the number plate were well defined even though the street was quite dark.

bear in mind that if your card is over 32gb, you will need some additional tools to format it to suit the car. There are plenty of links about here to tell you how to do it. (Not on desktop right now but I’ll post a link later if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

one other thing is that the card isn’t self wiping (it’s the car software). So needs cleaned out every so often. I’m buying a 2nd card to allow for continuous coverage with 1card always in place.

Reactions: D4v1d
Update. Insurance company (LV) requested copies of video yesterday and Representatives from Poileas Alba arrived this afternoon, viewed the video on my wife’s phone and took away a memory stick with the 20 files showing the sequence of events. Having viewed the files, they were off to charge the driver who hasn’t reported the incident. They seemed pleased with the clarity on the video. Apparently some of the dash cams can be fairly poor and hard to read with standard software. As a side note, I got my first software update in 2020. I haven’t seen the notes but apparently, clips will be saved if you hit the horn. Could be useful in future for someone.

Reactions: Mr H and Daverh
Diminished value - Wikipedia

Is there anything like this in the UK? It would take the sting off your future insurance payments.

Not really, there is only a low level decision in Scotland that supports this sort of claim, no reliable case law to depend on that is specific to cars.

The hang up is that unless you have actually suffered the loss by already having sold the car, you are in effect asking for compensation for something that might never happen. If say you continue to own the vehicle right up until the point where it only has scrap value then you would have received a windfall gain with no actual loss.

• Informative
Reactions: Daverh
Diminished value - Wikipedia

Is there anything like this in the UK? It would take the sting off your future insurance payments.
If I incur costs I can claim them back from the other side. Truth is, I can’t predict future costs in my insurance premium and I will just need to bite the bullet. What was more worrying to me was the possibility that someone other than the owner was responsible for driving.

as an additional quirk. The police will charge/have charged the driver with failing to report an accident. If she had not stopped (definitely a she in her 50s/ low 60s), she would also have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident. I find that bizarre. She stopped, examined her damage and drove off without letting on. Looking forward to the court case (because there will be one) - not really!

If she had not stopped (definitely a she in her 50s/ low 60s), she would also have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident. I find that bizarre.

Its the difference between stopping, confirming that nobody had been injured and finding there was nobody to exchange details with at the scene vs not bothering to stop at all...