Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad news for those who delayed until 1/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

During a congressional sprint to pass legislation before holiday recess, the US Senate is reportedly planning to put a pin in President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion Build Back Better bill to focus on other acts it hopes to pass before 2021’s end. Unfortunately, any delays to the Build Back Better bill means a delay in the proposed revisions to federal tax credits for EV automakers and moreover, US consumers.

As time passed and likelihood of BBB passing this year was going to naught I decided to go ahead and accept delivery so I could have a nice Christmas present for myself. This thing could pass in the first few weeks of the new year, but who is to say that the EV credits will remain "retroactive" to January 1st. Too many unknowns for one to keep delaying IMO. Either way....it's just money.

and this is why you never rely on the government to plan your financial decisions...
Exactly this. There's no way I was waiting on this bill to pass to take delivery. I don't live my life like that.

Will the BBB eventually pass? Yes but who knows when that will be and there's zero chance it will pass in its current form. For all of the people waiting for this bill to pass to buy a Tesla, you don't even know what you're waiting for.

Guess Lucid and Rivian customers are happy and hope this drags out even longer.
Considering this bill seems to be ending the previous legislation and all of Lucids cars are too expensive to get incentives under new legislation and how many of Rivian’s pre-orders exceed it, I’m sure both are hugely relieved.

Of course they would actually have to produce more than a handful of cars in order for it to make any difference at all.

Reactions: RatsFPV and WhiteWi
I knew it wasn't going to pass this year. this is why i ordered late this year and won't get it until september of 22. if it doesn't pass by then i'll just get another car. not sure its worth it the full price after the 8k price increase.
Me either… I dodged that bullet by buying mine before the price increases.

I wonder if backlog will get shorter if the incentives don’t pass.

I ordered with a $5k lower price in September and will gladly wait a few extra weeks (or months) with an extra $8k on the line.

$40,999 for a blue M3, now with heated wheel and rear seat, bigger battery, and an $8k rebate ($32,999), gotta like that.

I ordered with a $5k lower price in September and will gladly wait a few extra weeks (or months) with an extra $8k on the line.

$40,999 for a blue M3, now with heated wheel and rear seat, bigger battery, and an $8k rebate ($32,999), gotta like that.
Tesla is actively cancelling orders from people that keep pushing off the delivery date. Hopefully your date doesn't come up, but if it's been 4 to 6 months they may ask you to take delivery by xyz date or reorder when you're ready at current prices.

Curious about this. VP Harris sound bite said “rebates for electric cars made in America with union labor” but Tesla’s not union. So I wonder how this will work. I bought 2/21 so I’m not in it anyway. 🤔

The House version of the bill includes an *extra* $4500 for EVs made in the US at unionized factories, which is what Harris is referring to. That’s on top of the base $7500 EV credit and an extra $500 if the battery is made in America. (That’s how people are arriving at the $8000 figure for Teslas.)

But Sen. Manchin opposes the union provision, so most people are assuming that it will get stripped out of the final bill.