Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad news for those who delayed until 1/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand. All orders will be removed from hold and placed back on hold? You can't make someone pay for a vehicle if suggesting something else.
The impression I got from some emails people shared is that Tesla isn’t going to push older orders which have been put on hold for more than 30 days into the new year.

So people will either be prioritized for delivery, asked to update their order and accept the new pricing, or they will cancel the order.

They won’t force you to pay anything, they will simply cancel your order and refund your order fee.

It’s not entirely clear what they are going to do though. If you haven’t gotten a nasty-gram email telling you to release your vehicle hold or cancel your order you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Corndart
Thats exactly what I've been saying. NOTHING has been signed into law because there is not agreement in congress. That means anything is subject to change... effective date, limits, amounts, etc... we have a (at best) 50/50 senate, concessions will need to be made to get signatures. Everything is subject to change.

Its fine if people want to spend $250 and gamble that a BBB plan will pass in their favor, but dont be surprised if it doesnt. One can EASILY see a concession being "Ok, we'll go with all the values and cost limits, but only if it takes effect after the date the bill passes". Their thinking could be anyone who bought a car prior to the bill's signing knew what they were getting into. Thats not a huge leap to imagine.

"Dont count your chickens before they hatch"... its an old adage thats been around for a while for a reason
This is devolving into another version of this thread, where I'd invite people to go discuss. Cancellations is an entirely different topic.

I'm being forced to take delivery this year or forfeit my order, which is fine, I'm saving $9,150 as compared to current prices (was $11,150 but I removed $8k FSD).

That said, the language just states "after 12/31/2021" so as long as it passes at some point in 2022, anyone that purchases after 12/31/2021 will be eligible. It does not become a point of sale credit until 1/1/2023 so it doesn't matter if you buy on 1/1/22 or 12/31/22 you'll still qualify if it passes.

So I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but perhaps the person that posted it feels better about not qualifying for their 2021 purchase.

I'm being forced to take delivery this year or forfeit my order, which is fine, I'm saving $9,150 as compared to current prices (was $11,150 but I removed $8k FSD).

That said, the language just states "after 12/31/2021" so as long as it passes at some point in 2022, anyone that purchases after 12/31/2021 will be eligible. It does not become a point of sale credit until 1/1/2023 so it doesn't matter if you buy on 1/1/22 or 12/31/22 you'll still qualify if it passes.

So I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but perhaps the person that posted it feels better about not qualifying for their 2021 purchase.
Sounds very much like the B BB is being punted into 2022 regardless so it’s very much an open question.

Exactly this. There's no way I was waiting on this bill to pass to take delivery. I don't live my life like that.

Will the BBB eventually pass? Yes but who knows when that will be and there's zero chance it will pass in its current form. For all of the people waiting for this bill to pass to buy a Tesla, you don't even know what you're waiting for.
I been screaming this for months. lol

" so as long as it passes at some point in 2022, anyone that purchases after 12/31/2021 will be eligible. It does not become a point of sale credit until 1/1/2023 so it doesn't matter if you buy on 1/1/22 or 12/31/22 you'll still qualify if it passes.

Be careful here...
That was the prevailing thought on July 16th when I ordered my MY...
It was to be retroactive to May 24th.

Didn't happen.

Reactions: voxel
We won't know what is in the bill until it passes. My guess is (if it passes, and there are EV incentives in it) there will be income limits, because we all know rich people driving EVs does not help the environment the same as when others buy them. Just like we all know EVs made with union labor help the environment more than those made without union labor.

This should help convince some people to bite the bullet and move forward with their delivery. The fate of BBB (and the EV credit) is now very much in the air and chances of passing at all have taken a big hit.
Says the person with a hold according to your signature?
Ordered just before you, and have a hold (and a previous vin). Was not going to leave the money on the table, and that still is the case.
I don't think (or want) the bill to go anywhere, but it's a gamble. I have a stack of 8K in 20$ bills under the tree as a reminder of why we are driving a dino car.

Reactions: RatsFPV
Says the person with a hold according to your signature?
Ordered just before you, and have a hold (and a previous vin). Was not going to leave the money on the table, and that still is the case.
I don't think (or want) the bill to go anywhere, but it's a gamble. I have a stack of 8K in 20$ bills under the tree as a reminder of why we are driving a dino car.
I've already mentally prepared myself to eat the $250 order fee. If I can recoup my $$$ by transferring it to someone else (locked in at $1k less than current prices), I'll be thrilled. And if through some miracle, BBB actually passes, hey, even better!

I'm not sure why this is bad news specifically for folks that delayed until 1/1. It's not good news for anyone wanting the tax refund, but it doesn't mean they won't still get it, but rather it doesn't have a chance of passing until later in 2022. No guarantees either way mind you.

Be careful here...
That was the prevailing thought on July 16th when I ordered my MY...
It was to be retroactive to May 24th.

Didn't happen.

Thats because you are referring to the Senate bill that stalled out, it had retroactive credits into 2021. This House bill does not. Sure, the language could change, but so far they don't seem to be focusing much on the EV tax credits.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I had my fingers crossed since Feb 2021 when the return of Tesla EV tax credits first came back into the realm of possibilities. I placed my order 2/14, and had it on Hold until June 2021. Then took delivery in September 2021. No EV tax bills were ever passed, and it got rolled into the giant mess that the BBB is today. So I lost out on the tax credit, but I did save $10K off from todays prices, plus the $1500 CA rebate (time of sale) and the $2000 CVRP. So net-net I'm up $13500 off price changes and rebates.

Moral of the story is just place your order, get your car and get whatever rebates you can (if you want). You might find yourself waiting for something that never ends up happening.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Tesla never cancelled one single order. Please dont spread lies here. If you don`t want others to get tax credit thats ok, but dont spread infos that are not true.
Tesla sent emails to those with order on hold but never cancelled any of them.
And they will never do.
deposit placed 6/21/21 on or around 12/10/21 cemails me saying “ your model Y is ready for delivery “ Notify tesla i am out of country will not be back until April/May 2022? Also told them have no problem placing me in back of line keep my locked options and price . They cancelled my order said cannot do that?

tesla needs old fashioned USA honesty.
no custmer service , they lie , screw them
i’m going with other company maybe others will see the light as well
Neve in 83 years did i chase to buy car