Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad news for those who delayed until 1/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BS they canceled my order , i live out of USA they were informed before. i don’t care about rebates car was for grandchild

They would not hold an order for 5+ months to April 2022 for an order already 6+ months old. You probably should have transferred the reservation/order or swapped with somebody with an April/May EDD.

plus the $1500 CA rebate (time of sale) and the $2000 CVRP
so the $1500 was already cut in half in November, and who knows how long the 2k will last (funding exhausted earlier this year but came back), and all the material becomes more expensive which translate to higher outlet/charging station cost, so people can keep on waiting and be losing out more for nothing in return...

If this still passes sometime in 2022 (and that is a big if) and if it will be made retroactive to 1/1/2022, it will be interesting to see how they handle vehicles/buyers eligible in current tax credit without MSRP or AGI limits but not eligible for the new tax credit with MSRP & AGI limits. You can't just make the new law retroactive and take away tax credit from people for who were eligible for the tax credit when they purchased the vehicle.

If this still passes sometime in 2022 (and that is a big if) and if it will be made retroactive to 1/1/2022, it will be interesting to see how they handle vehicles/buyers eligible in current tax credit without MSRP or AGI limits but not eligible for the new tax credit with MSRP & AGI limits. You can't just make the new law retroactive and take away tax credit from people for who were eligible for the tax credit when they purchased the vehicle.

There's nothing to take away. For 2022, you claim the tax credit in your 2022 tax return in March/April 2023. It's no different from the current EV tax credit for all carmakers except for Tesla and GM.

There's nothing to take away. For 2022, you claim the tax credit in your 2022 tax return in March/April 2023. It's no different from the current EV tax credit for all carmakers except for Tesla and GM.
Yes, and this is all hypothetical (and there is a good chance BBB bill will never make it to the President's desk ever), but I assume the bill will replace the existing tax credit structure and if it happens mid year wouldn't there be a problem?

Yes, and this is all hypothetical (and there is a good chance BBB bill will never make it to the President's desk ever), but I assume the bill will replace the existing tax credit structure and if it happens mid year wouldn't there be a problem?
Yes, that's a problem. Example: I make 500K and can take the current tax credit (7500) for my eTron that I buy in January '22. Then the BBB-BS gets passed retroactive to 1/1/22 - I loose the 7500 tax credit from the current bill and am not eligible to take the BBB credit. BBB is dead, or for the hopefuls it would probably be effective on the date signed into law (a necessary change due to the delays).

Reactions: leaftoy
There was no way this was going to pass this year. If it passes next year it may well be retroactive from Jan. 1. But I suggest you’ll get better odds in Vegas.
No way they make this retroactive. It would cost them a fortune to back pay everyone to a certain date. I believe I have seen enough to believe that the effective date will be the date the bill gets signed...if it ever does.

Reactions: rob968 and mrmtb
Yes, that's a problem. Example: I make 500K and can take the current tax credit (7500) for my eTron that I buy in January '22. Then the BBB-BS gets passed retroactive to 1/1/22 - I loose the 7500 tax credit from the current bill and am not eligible to take the BBB credit. BBB is dead, or for the hopefuls it would probably be effective on the date signed into law (a necessary change due to the delays).
Think one of us is confused - until the eTron hits the 200k sales mark, it's covered by the existing EV incentives. in what scenario do you "lose" anything , with the eTron, predicated on BBB failing?

Actually there is wording stating it isn't retro.
Depends on which version of the bill you are looking at, the version that passed the house said it was effective for vehicles acquired after 12/31/21. If that language doesn't change then it would be retroactive.

Found on page #1886 of the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/text

3 (e) EFFECTIVE DATES (1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021. (2) The amendments made by subsection (b) 8 shall apply to vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022.

Depends on which version of the bill you are looking at, the version that passed the house said it was effective for vehicles acquired after 12/31/21. If that language doesn't change then it would be retroactive.

Found on page #1886 of the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/text

3 (e) EFFECTIVE DATES (1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021. (2) The amendments made by subsection (b) 8 shall apply to vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022.
None of this matters since if they take up it again next year they will have to reword this part to make sure they don’t retroactively take away credit from purchasers early in the year who were eligible under the current regime but would be ineligible in the new regime due to MSRP or AGI caps.

None of this matters since if they take up it again next year they will have to reword this part to make sure they don’t retroactively take away credit from purchasers early in the year who were eligible under the current regime but would be ineligible in the new regime due to MSRP or AGI caps.
I think you are giving congress way too much credit. They often make changes to tax related law and back date it to the start of the year, mid year changes are frowned upon from a tax standpoint because it creates a huge burden on the IRS, which is the one area of government every law maker bends to.

• Funny
Our Constitution normally requires a spending bill to get 60% of the votes to pass. This is to prevent a party with a slim majority from pandering for votes and trying to pass bills that benefit only that one party and does not really benefit the citizens outside that party.

Currently the bill cannot even get a 50% Vote, and that includes having a voting Vice President of the same party.

If a huge spending bill is not supported by both Parties, then it should die. Plunging our Country even further into debt, with no way to pay for the spending except to pass it on to the children is perhaps not prudent.

This massive printing of money is going to cause massive inflation. This will hurt the poor and middle class the most. Already the recent increases in the minimum wage has been eaten up by the inflation it caused.

I think you are giving congress way too much credit. They often make changes to tax related law and back date it to the start of the year, mid year changes are frowned upon from a tax standpoint because it creates a huge burden on the IRS, which is the one area of government every law maker bends to.
Usually Congress back dates bills that will give them additonal revenue. They rarely will back date bills that cost them money.

• Funny
If a huge spending bill is not supported by both Parties, then it should die. Plunging our Country even further into debt

I don’t follow your logic. A failure to pass a spending Bill means we spend less and reduce the speed at which we pile on debt. Unless you think that spending Bill will actually bring in more revenue than spending, which they never do!

If a huge spending bill is not supported by both Parties, then it should die. Plunging our Country even further into debt, with no way to pay for the spending except to pass it on to the children is perhaps not prudent.

Yup, same crap happened 3 years ago

This budget reconciliation system is being abused. Neither party wants to work with another so we have gridlock.

Retroactive would benefit Tesla owners who purchase after Jan 1st but screw Taycan purchasers. Who knows about the final bill. They might as well make it start in 2023 as a point of sale rebate. Allows carmakers to adjust production to the US too and let the 200K naturally expire for many.

Think one of us is confused - until the eTron hits the 200k sales mark, it's covered by the existing EV incentives. in what scenario do you "lose" anything , with the eTron, predicated on BBB failing?
The eTron was used because is is covered by the current incentive WITHOUT income caps. If the new BS bill passes 'retroactive' (and I make more than the income caps in the BS bill) the old incentive will be null and I would loose. Nothing to to with tesla, but this bill is not and was not about Tesla.