Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad news on Camden and Middleton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both have slipped to Q4 which I interpret has never. These are two important destinations that need coverage. Middleton has been promised for years, what's so hard about finding a spot near Newport? Camden fills in a gaping hole in mid-coast Maine.

In other bad news, still nothing planned for the Williamstown/North Adams area instead they are adding a third Supercharger in the Tanglewood area. The already have a Supercharger in Lee and in Great Barrington, now they are adding Lenox. Lenox is a stones throw from Lee, adding a station there isn't helpful. Adding one at the intersection of 7 and 2 would make a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
Both have slipped to Q4 which I interpret has never. These are two important destinations that need coverage. Middleton has been promised for years, what's so hard about finding a spot near Newport? Camden fills in a gaping hole in mid-coast Maine.

In other bad news, still nothing planned for the Williamstown/North Adams area instead they are adding a third Supercharger in the Tanglewood area. The already have a Supercharger in Lee and in Great Barrington, now they are adding Lenox. Lenox is a stones throw from Lee, adding a station there isn't helpful. Adding one at the intersection of 7 and 2 would make a big difference.
I shouldn't interpret Camden, ME 2022Q4 as never. I just think it's much easier to get everything done in the fall when it's past the main construction and tourist seasons. I think it just says that they haven't started the process yet, so they're not trying to get it done in the early spring.

Lee is v2. They're adding a lot of v3 near existing v2 sites. It's obvious that they'd like to replace them.

I shouldn't interpret Camden, ME 2022Q4 as never. I just think it's much easier to get everything done in the fall when it's past the main construction and tourist seasons. I think it just says that they haven't started the process yet, so they're not trying to get it done in the early spring.

Lee is v2. They're adding a lot of v3 near existing v2 sites. It's obvious that they'd like to replace them.
Why not just add V3s to Lee. Lee is right off of the Mass Pike.

Reactions: kayak1 and jlv1
On Middleton, I know Neon Marketplace is building sites left and right around Rhode Island, and has just secured a location in Worcester. I know Neon is trying to add Superchargers to most of their new properties. They have an existing locations in Portsmouth and Middletown, RI. Both are classified as "Neon Express" locations which as described on their website do not feature EV charging. While I've not visited either location, I'm told the Middletown location is too small to consider adding superchargers, but the Portsmouth location could possibly fit one. I don't know what plans Neon might have to add more locations down that way - which seems to be a more likely path to getting a supercharger built closer to Newport.

As for Camden Maine, I'm cautiously optimistic a site will reveal itself soon. Most Q3 (but not all) New England sites are known at this point, which means Tesla has likely begun work on getting Q4 sites lined up for approval.

On Middleton, I know Neon Marketplace is building sites left and right around Rhode Island, and has just secured a location in Worcester. I know Neon is trying to add Superchargers to most of their new properties. They have an existing locations in Portsmouth and Middletown, RI. Both are classified as "Neon Express" locations which as described on their website do not feature EV charging. While I've not visited either location, I'm told the Middletown location is too small to consider adding superchargers, but the Portsmouth location could possibly fit one. I don't know what plans Neon might have to add more locations down that way - which seems to be a more likely path to getting a supercharger built closer to Newport.

As for Camden Maine, I'm cautiously optimistic a site will reveal itself soon. Most Q3 (but not all) New England sites are known at this point, which means Tesla has likely begun work on getting Q4 sites lined up for approval.
I can confirm that Tesla was eyeing the Hannaford Supermarket in Camden and had submitted a plan last year. I'm told the plan was withdrawn, but have no details on why. It's possible Tesla will resubmit a plan for the same location.

I wrote to Neon a several months ago, they said that they are putting Superchargers into Portsmouth. Don't know if their plans have changed since then but their intent was to put them in there.
I've heard that too from another source. I assume it's matter of Neon pitching the the site to Tesla, and the two agreeing on terms, followed by Tesla putting the job into a backlog for assignment to a contractor to do the build. I suspect the contractors doing the builds for Tesla are scheduled 1-2 quarters out, with Tesla handing out jobs on a rolling basis using whatever scheduling algorithm they use (just a guess - don't really know). I think the reason why some of the advertised "coming soon pins" get pushed out jobs like this being added to the list on top of where Tesla would already like to add sites to fill in gaps or address overutilization issues.

I can confirm that Tesla was eyeing the Hannaford Supermarket in Camden and had submitted a plan last year. I'm told the plan was withdrawn, but have no details on why. It's possible Tesla will resubmit a plan for the same location.

They might have withdrawn it because they expect it to expire before they start work.

Alternatives are the Belfast Hannaford where the VW Dieselgate chargers will go..
Or somewhere else before Camden on US-1 like the Irving in Waldoboro.

They might have withdrawn it because they expect it to expire before they start work.

Alternatives are the Belfast Hannaford where the VW Dieselgate chargers will go..
Or somewhere else before Camden on US-1 like the Irving in Waldoboro.
Very good point. I've already been keeping an eye on the Belfast Hannaford too, but will probably add Waldoboro as a place to check from time-to-time as well. I assume it's less likely anything north of Camden would be added in the short term given they just added Ellsworth.

Don't know why this was pushed obviously... but maybe Tesla is having challenges getting contractors to work on projects up that way. Especially given the contractor that has been doing some of the northern New England superchargers is flat out doing supercharger builds in CT, RI and MA with a lot of additional locations planned in the next 6-12 months not yet on Tesla's coming soon map (Neon Marketplace stations for example).

Don't know why this was pushed obviously... but maybe Tesla is having challenges getting contractors to work on projects up that way. Especially given the contractor that has been doing some of the northern New England superchargers is flat out doing supercharger builds in CT, RI and MA with a lot of additional locations planned in the next 6-12 months not yet on Tesla's coming soon map (Neon Marketplace stations for example).
Could indeed just be prioritization for _the_ contractor.

Falmouth, ME is still shown as 2022Q3. If that's I-295 side, that would provide an alternative to Freeport.

Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
Very good point. I've already been keeping an eye on the Belfast Hannaford too, but will probably add Waldoboro as a place to check from time-to-time as well. I assume it's less likely anything north of Camden would be added in the short term given they just added Ellsworth.

Resurrecting on old topic...

No evidence of a Supercharger but ...

On Sunday I was driving the Waldoboro, ME section of US-1 and I noticed the Citgo was being redeveloped, and maybe*** the neighboring lot (where there was a diner). I thought of this having Supercharger potential, because the area might have been of interest to Tesla: there is an Irving next door, there is a Hannaford nearby (0.3 miles away), and the Waterville, ME Supercharger is next to a Citgo that was being redeveloped when the Supercharger was installed.

So, if anybody happens to be driving by, you might want to have a glance and see if there's anything of interest there.

*** I was just driving by, so may not be remembering it correctly.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Resurrecting on old topic...

No evidence of a Supercharger but ...

On Sunday I was driving the Waldoboro, ME section of US-1 and I noticed the Citgo was being redeveloped, and maybe*** the neighboring lot (where there was a diner). I thought of this having Supercharger potential, because the area might have been of interest to Tesla: there is an Irving next door, there is a Hannaford nearby (0.3 miles away), and the Waterville, ME Supercharger is next to a Citgo that was being redeveloped when the Supercharger was installed.

So, if anybody happens to be driving by, you might want to have a glance and see if there's anything of interest there.

*** I was just driving by, so may not be remembering it correctly.

I went by again and yes the neighboring lot was repaved, but no sign of anything of interest. A couple of large slabs but just looked like it was just where the old diner "trailer" was.
Back to Tesla owners hoping for Rockland (which is on the voting.)

Reactions: Tdreamer