Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Paint Job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of my husband's 2022 Model Y Performance in early October. At the time of delivery we discovered lots of paint issues, which we brought to the delivery persons attention. We were told to schedule the car for service, which we did. When we took the car for service, Tesla told us they don't do paint, that we would have to be scheduled for an estimate at a third-party paint shop that was authorized to do Tesla's. Fast forward to the end of November and we still have not been schedule for an estimate on having the paint issues fixed. On top of that the "estimate must be approved by Tesla" prior to getting it repainted. I asked why they have to approve it since it was a defect from Tesla. The reply was "that's the way Tesla does it". We scheduled another appointment for service since we haven't heard back from them because you can't talk to a live body, you must go through the app.

This is my biggest complaint about Tesla - you cannot talk to a live body with a question and it takes forever to get anything done. Anyone have a better way, besides the app, to get our vehicles taken care of?

Reactions: matj1285
I've found when you aren't getting a response, the best solution is to just show up at a Service Center and speak to an advisor face-to-face. Some centers are better than others, and I've had a great responses via the app from three local service centers, but in my experience the Factory Service Center in Fremont and my original Delivery Center there just ignore app questions and can't be reached by phone.

I've had a similar experience with horrible paint on my frunk hood, except that the Delivery Center and then the Factory Service Center took the car over to a third-party paint shop themselves which was nice. But aside from that the experience has been horrible, and this issue has dragged on for almost a year so far, along with a long list of other manufacturing and prep defects.

The first time, they agreed the entire hood had a big sloppy paint blotch under the clear coat, but when I got the car back I found they had forgotten to send the car to the paint shop. The next time they did send it out, but it came back with big sparkley swirls in the paint. So back it went, but the same shop then repainted it with fewer swirls but it's still ugly and on top of that they forgot to put the "T" emblem back on the hood! At that point the service advisors decided to order a new hood for me, but they've been having trouble getting it and the appointment has been delayed three times so far. Sometimes ya gotta have a sense of humor when dealing with Tesla...

Upvote 0
@EV_Dad

Just curious, the SAs are ordering a new factory painted hood?

Yes, by "new hood" I meant new a factory-painted hood, sorry. Still waiting for it. Getting very close to one year since delivery.
At that point the service advisors decided to order a new hood for me, but they've been having trouble getting it and the appointment has been delayed three times so far. Sometimes ya gotta have a sense of humor when dealing with Tesla...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy cow, you're still waiting????
On 12/31/2021 I took delivery at the factory against my better judgement, as they rushed to make end-of-quarter end-of-year numbers.

On 1/24/2022 they fixed several other factory defects, but somehow forgot about the big ugly paint blotch on the hood.

On 3/21/2022 they brought it to their third-party paint shop in Fremont. Now instead of a blotch, it had big sparkling paint swirls all over the hood. I then went through a long struggle to get another appointment, but I'll spare you that story.

On 10/4/2022 they again sent it over to the same third-party shop, which did another terrible job. Half as many paint swirls, but still unacceptable. And this time, they also forgot to reattach the "T" emblem.

At that point an SA ordered a new factory-painted hood, believing it would arrive within about two weeks. But they've postponed the appointment three times so far now, because they haven't received it. My next appointment is scheduled for 12/28. Wish me luck.

What color is the car?
Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG).

Upvote 0
On 12/31/2021 I took delivery at the factory against my better judgement, as they rushed to make end-of-quarter end-of-year numbers.

On 1/24/2022 they fixed several other factory defects, but somehow forgot about the big ugly paint blotch on the hood.

On 3/21/2022 they brought it to their third-party paint shop in Fremont. Now instead of a blotch, it had big sparkling paint swirls all over the hood. I then went through a long struggle to get another appointment, but I'll spare you that story.

On 10/4/2022 they again sent it over to the same third-party shop, which did another terrible job. Half as many paint swirls, but still unacceptable. And this time, they also forgot to reattach the "T" emblem.

At that point an SA ordered a new factory-painted hood, believing it would arrive within about two weeks. But they've postponed the appointment three times so far now, because they haven't received it. My next appointment is scheduled for 12/28. Wish me luck.

Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG).
Yikes. Giving you all the good luck vibes I can because that's some crazy timeline. This is the Fremont Tesla or a different service center?

Reactions: EV_Dad
Upvote 0
Yikes. Giving you all the good luck vibes I can because that's some crazy timeline. This is the Fremont Tesla or a different service center?
  • 12/31/2022 — delivery at the Fremont factory
  • 1/24/2022 and 3/21/2022 — Delivery Center in Fremont (now closed)
  • 10/4/2022 and next appointment — Factory Service Center in Fremont (same Service Advisor, mostly)

Upvote 0
Ah okay, asking because I took delivery in Nov and had to do some paint work. They did an okay job but missed a spot so the car was with the repair team, back/forth with the body shop for around 4 weeks. They also slightly scuffed some other parts but I'm not going to keep sending the car in there. They already pulled the "It's been over a month" since I had the card but I reminded them that 3-4 weeks of that was with them, lol.

Upvote 0
As I expected, my frunk hood replacement has been rescheduled to January. As of 12/31 it will be a year since delivery, with three attempts to repaint it (the last time, I got it back with the "T" emblem missing and swirls in the paint) and then three rescheduled appointments because they can't get a new hood. On the positive side, this is the last of a long list of defects and most were fixed within three months of delivery.

Upvote 0
I asked why they have to approve it since it was a defect from Tesla. The reply was "that's the way Tesla does it". We scheduled another appointment for service since we haven't heard back from them because you can't talk to a live body, you must go through the app.

This is my biggest complaint about Tesla - you cannot talk to a live body with a question and it takes forever to get anything done. Anyone have a better way, besides the app, to get our vehicles taken care of?
This is why we will never buy another Tesla. We are a bit old-fashion folks and like the idea of calling the service center and getting someone on the phone right away and scheduling to fix issues right away. Doing things through an app is not my idea of customer service.

I am not sour on Tesla. After all we have had a good experience in the last 6 years and almost no issues of any importance, and I do consulting for them. Yet, that doesn't mean I have to keep buying the cars. Maybe they will tell me to take a hike too.

I hope these issues get resolved so the company will get better reviews and improve the image.

Upvote 0
As I expected, my frunk hood replacement has been rescheduled to January. As of 12/31 it will be a year since delivery, with three attempts to repaint it (the last time, I got it back with the "T" emblem missing and swirls in the paint) and then three rescheduled appointments because they can't get a new hood. On the positive side, this is the last of a long list of defects and most were fixed within three months of delivery.

Rescheduled twice more since the above post. But they promise the replacement order is in process now, and I may have it by the end of the month.

All other factory quality issues were handled within three months. Sloppily in many cases, but handled. This paint issue though, it's jinxed, lol.

Upvote 0
I found a fisheye in the paint on one of my fenders. I decided I didn't want a repaint and decided to live with it... The paint on my MY is way better than my 2018 Tahoe which was horrible.. Dust nibs, fisheyes everywhere. Nothin is perfect that is mass-produced but GM is terrible

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to TMC as I recently took delivery of my Austin built model y long range. The vehicle was delivered to my house and arrived over 1.5 hours after the estimated delivery time (at this point it was dark). The delivery driver parked the car on the street and left. When I went outside and looked at the car I noticed paint issue on the right lower fender near the frunk gap. I reported the issue on the Tesla app along with other panel gap issues and clicking pedal when the car is regen braking. The car has been at the service center for almost 2 weeks and now they told me that the panel needs to be repainted. When I purchased the Tesla, I was very excited to own. However, now I am a bit disappointed that a brand new car needs to be repainted. I recently saw a YouTube video of us very similar issue with another Austin built model Y. I wonder if this is something that is happening a lot at the Austin belt model Y’s. Has anyone else experienced the same paint issue? Tesla said since I accept the delivery of the vehicle, I cannot return it and they will not compensate me for the damage. They said they can start a claim for Tesla to buy the vehicle back, but the result would be very unlikely for Tesla to approve a buyback for this issue.
A4219897-C1BD-4C0C-B462-E21864A388E3.png
63BC0574-2D6E-4D34-9317-3F71EDD4645E.jpeg
BB0BF294-7086-40AE-9FBF-D087B8C30CDA.jpeg

Upvote 0
Has anyone else experienced the same paint issue? Tesla said since I accept the delivery of the vehicle, I cannot return it and they will not compensate me for the damage. They said they can start a claim for Tesla to buy the vehicle back, but the result would be very unlikely for Tesla to approve a buyback for this issue.

Paint issues are common. Tesla has a responsibility to fix your car, but does not have to refund your money unless your situation qualifies under your state's "lemon law". That law defines how many times a car manufacturer is allowed to try fixing a problem, and how serious the problem must be to qualify. In general, no matter how clueless their service can be, Tesla mostly manages to muddle through and avoid getting dinged by lemon laws. For now I'd just cross my fingers and not bother filing claims anyway yet.

Upvote 0
Hope I'm not jinxing this by posting, but I may finally have my new repainted frunk hood within a week. This morning I got the service center manager involved, and he seems to have pulled some strings to get this done for me.

That was after I'd been forced to show up for a yet another appointment this morning, because although I knew they probably hadn't received the hood, for the first time nobody would answer several messages I sent via the app trying to confirm. That center can't be reached by phone, either. So that's another two hours I'll never get back, lol.

But now I have the manager's mobile number, and the app says a hood is being painted for me at the region's collision center. This has been a uniquely stupid situation (I hope), and it may finally be over soon.

Upvote 0
Paint issues are common. Tesla has a responsibility to fix your car, but does not have to refund your money unless your situation qualifies under your state's "lemon law". That law defines how many times a car manufacturer is allowed to try fixing a problem, and how serious the problem must be to qualify. In general, no matter how clueless their service can be, Tesla mostly manages to muddle through and avoid getting dinged by lemon laws. For now I'd just cross my fingers and not bother filing claims anyway yet.
I was scheduled to pick up the car on 1/28 after over 15 days at the service center. When I arrived the repaint was terrible. The car is in worse shape now than it was when I dropped it off. After the fender has been painted it still has defect inside plus the hood has a bunch of clear coat runs. The car wasn’t even cleaned and there were bunch of white paint stains on the plastic covers under the frunk cover and bumper.

I did not pick up the car and left it with the service center. I am scheduled to meet with their manager to discuss the situation. They said they have to send the car to the body shop again for a 2nd repaint. This is so unacceptable, brand new car has to be repainted twice.

Attachments

• 5112218C-7E4E-4ECE-941F-F832BABF39E2.jpeg
    5112218C-7E4E-4ECE-941F-F832BABF39E2.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 1FA33052-1EE2-4AF1-9229-E22E052722F3.jpeg
    1FA33052-1EE2-4AF1-9229-E22E052722F3.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0