TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bad Pearl touch-up paint?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BerTX, Mar 26, 2017.

1. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Due to an unfortuante run-in with a pole at a mall charger, I needed to touch up a small scratch on my rear bumper.

I ordered the touch-up paint from Tesla, but it is really very odd looking. There is almost no pigment in it (yes, I shook it until my arm was sore). I thought maybe that was so that the clear would rise to the surface and try to give it a clearcoat look.

After 6 coats of the stuff, all I have is a mess that looks worse than the black gash on the bumper. The paint has no body to it, so it just runs and I have to wipe off the drips. So now I have a glob of semi-transparent paint at the bottom of the scratch, and almost no coverage of the booboo at the top.

Is this the way the Pearl touch-up paint is supposed to be? If so, I guess I'll have to go another route. A piece of white plastic tape would look better.

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

3. kdday

kdday Member

Agreed. I tried the exact same repair on some rock chips on my front bumper. It's like a white watered down liquid, not a thick pearl white gel.

It turned out so bad I wiped it off and left the rock chips.

• Like x 1
  4. JPP

JPP Active Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1