Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad PR on the way???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to be consistent with its principle: Sell higher ones first in order to fund lower priced cars.

Critics do not like that principle and pressure Tesla to do the reverse.

The more vocal they are, the more shorts they bet, the worse they suffer.

I am a current Model X owner who reserved the 3 on launch date. I have a Dec-Feb window for the base $35k model.

I don't see anything wrong with delivering the more expensive model first. When I configured my X, I initially opted for the 70D but later got a call from Tesla that I can receive my car next month instead of (6 months) if I opt for the 90D. That was a successful tool but Tesla still allowed me to order the 70D...they didn't limit my options to only 90D

@KMTG looks like you're getting a similar response over on this forum as well. The Model 3 has an entirely different momentum than Model X did. Model 3 is the game changer. I realize it is not Motor Trend or other automotive outlets that concern you, but some negative stories by financial analysts will not stop what is happening here.

Are they any pros for delaying the configuration of the base-line model? (For Tesla or the customer) Like they did for the employees?

If anything, I would assume Tesla would want to lock in orders with a $2500 deposit as soon as they can

Are they any pros for delaying the configuration of the base-line model? (For Tesla or the customer) Like they did for the employees?

If anything, I would assume Tesla would want to lock in orders with a $2500 deposit as soon as they can
They can't build them fast enough. So while they are limited in how many they can produce, they will make more money by producing the more expensive model first. This will allow them to recover their capital investments faster. So yes, there is a pro for delaying the base configuration.

Reactions: gambit48
You are totally correct and it is just like anything else in life, if you are serious about something (especially spending this kind of money) do the research and make an educated decision. I know, I know why would you bother to do that!

Unfortunately most 3 buyers won't come to the forums, I have friends/family that reserved the 3 and most of them didn't even know about the launch event on the 31st. Most, at the very least, just read the CNN article that followed after the event.

Tesla gets special media attention...if Tesla gets a recall...it's headline news!

I currently own two other Acura's and a Cadillac and I don't visit the Acura/Cadillac forums.

I saw a different article the other day where investors were thrilled the average sales price was more expensive then initially announced because it means more profits for Tesla.

There's usually more than one way to look at things.

I saw a different article the other day where investors were thrilled the average sales price was more expensive then initially announced because it means more profits for Tesla.

There's usually more than one way to look at things.

I hope so but I think some investors will lower the estimated deliveries due to the higher cost.

I hope so but I think some investors will lower the estimated deliveries due to the higher cost.

Since they have enough pre-orders to last them for the next 12-18 months you may get some long term naysayers but in the short term the stock has gone from about $320 to $365 in the last week so investors seem fine with the pricing as announced. Guys on the forums are bitching a bit (maybe rightly so to some extent) but no one listens to them except other forum members :)

Unfortunately most 3 buyers won't come to the forums, I have friends/family that reserved the 3 and most of them didn't even know about the launch event on the 31st. Most, at the very least, just read the CNN article that followed after the event.

Tesla gets special media attention...if Tesla gets a recall...it's headline news!

I currently own two other Acura's and a Cadillac and I don't visit the Acura/Cadillac forums.
It is amazing that even people who are familiar with Tesla have never heard of the superchargers.

I don't see any problem with what Tesla is doing. I do see a problem with what the media does... I still thought the Model X had a ~120,000 base price even until a few days ago because of their reporting.... now I actually looked and saw they start at a much more reasonable price for the 75D model. I might have even considered one last year when I was in the market for a seven seater SUV, but I thought I was completely priced out of target.

Since the design studio still didn't open for anyone (except employees). Do you have any ideas what the roll out would entail??

Do you think employees will be given the opportunity to order base line models before the design studio even opens for us? Or do you think Tesla will open the studio later this month for all models?

Maybe Elon is planning to roll out the design studio during Apple's Keynote or when the pre-order window opens for the iPhone's so we can focus on our priorities....:)