Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad Service Center Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the second time I've had to deal with my local Service Center (Austin, TX), and it's 0 for 2 now.
I just bought a brand new Model 3, about 2 months ago (this is my 4th Tesla). and I had to contact them once for a weird Vibration/Buzzing that was occurring under the front console. I came into the center, on the day of my appointment, and was sent home, without inspecting the car, because I was not able to replicate the sound on command.
So, my car might be broken, but just because they can't see it on their computers, or because I can't replicate it - it's not broken, and they won't inspect it.

Strike one.

Today I noticed that the spoiler that I paid them $865.00 for, installed, is coming off from one side. It's not that bad, but enough to notice. The other side is fine. So, I took some pictures and tried to talk to them by scheduling an appointment. They responded on the app by practically saying "It's not so bad. If we take it off, it'll damage the trunk lift gate. So, contact us again WHEN it get worse."
So, not only is this bull-***, it's unsafe. If it's so bad that it's coming off, there's a likelihood that it will come off while driving 70mph on the freeway, and go flying into someone else's windshield and impale them like Medieval times. But what's even worse is that before I could even respond, he canceled the appointment, and won't respond to my questions anymore.
I asked "honest question, HOW MUCH does it need to come off in order for you to come and re install it?" I wasn't trying to be snarky, or anything. But he just didn't respond at all after that.
So, not only did I overpay for the stupid spoiler by going the "officially from and by Tesla" route (which is widely considered unnecessarily expensive), but they didn't even do a good job at that "unnecessarily expensive" work.

In all my years dealing with Tesla, the main reason why I've seen their Service Center and overall Customer Service decline in quality is because they're not matching the cost of their products and services with the quality thereof. Things were pretty great pre-2016 or so, for me. I got my first Tesla in 2014. The service was INCREDIBLE. Like nothing I had experienced before. And I guess at one point, they thought that it was costing too much to provide that level of quality of service, so it took a dive, for the worse, increasingly so over the years.
I've owned lots of cars. I've owned a lot of BMWs, and one thing that they have, down pat, is that they KNOW their vehicles are expensive, so they KNOW they have to meet the Quality of the Service with how expensive their products are. I know Mercedes Benz is the same way. My girlfriend owned Cadillacs for a while, and they practically roll out the red carpet for ANY service center appointment.

I wish Tesla took into consideration that lots of us care about the fact that we're spending exorbitant (relatively) amounts of money for the love of these products, and I know a big number of owners are at a point, financially, where the most expensive Model X is chump change. I get that. But lots of us are not in that position - so it matters a little more when we're paying for something that we deem "expensive". We expect the quality of the service, and the way they deal with the products under warranty, to match the "cost" for us.

-R.

DSC_2311.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the second time I've had to deal with my local Service Center (Austin, TX), and it's 0 for 2 now.
I just bought a brand new Model 3, about 2 months ago (this is my 4th Tesla). and I had to contact them once for a weird Vibration/Buzzing that was occurring under the front console. I came into the center, on the day of my appointment, and was sent home, without inspecting the car, because I was not able to replicate the sound on command.
So, my car might be broken, but just because they can't see it on their computers, or because I can't replicate it - it's not broken, and they won't inspect it.

Strike one.

Today I noticed that the spoiler that I paid them $865.00 for, installed, is coming off from one side. It's not that bad, but enough to notice. The other side is fine. So, I took some pictures and tried to talk to them by scheduling an appointment. They responded on the app by practically saying "It's not so bad. If we take it off, it'll damage the trunk lift gate. So, contact us again WHEN it get worse."
So, not only is this bull-***, it's unsafe. If it's so bad that it's coming off, there's a likelihood that it will come off while driving 70mph on the freeway, and go flying into someone else's windshield and impale them like Medieval times. But what's even worse is that before I could even respond, he canceled the appointment, and won't respond to my questions anymore.
I asked "honest question, HOW MUCH does it need to come off in order for you to come and re install it?" I wasn't trying to be snarky, or anything. But he just didn't respond at all after that.
So, not only did I overpay for the stupid spoiler by going the "officially from and by Tesla" route (which is widely considered unnecessarily expensive), but they didn't even do a good job at that "unnecessarily expensive" work.

In all my years dealing with Tesla, the main reason why I've seen their Service Center and overall Customer Service decline in quality is because they're not matching the cost of their products and services with the quality thereof. Things were pretty great pre-2016 or so, for me. I got my first Tesla in 2014. The service was INCREDIBLE. Like nothing I had experienced before. And I guess at one point, they thought that it was costing too much to provide that level of quality of service, so it took a dive, for the worse, increasingly so over the years.
I've owned lots of cars. I've owned a lot of BMWs, and one thing that they have, down pat, is that they KNOW their vehicles are expensive, so they KNOW they have to meet the Quality of the Service with how expensive their products are. I know Mercedes Benz is the same way. My girlfriend owned Cadillacs for a while, and they practically roll out the red carpet for ANY service center appointment.

I wish Tesla took into consideration that lots of us care about the fact that we're spending exorbitant (relatively) amounts of money for the love of these products, and I know a big number of owners are at a point, financially, where the most expensive Model X is chump change. I get that. But lots of us are not in that position - so it matters a little more when we're paying for something that we deem "expensive". We expect the quality of the service, and the way they deal with the products under warranty, to match the "cost" for us.

-R.

View attachment 783427
not sure what is the update.

But I would respond it is not their call to diced is it bad or not. Also say then Tesla will be liable if the spoiler flew off while you are driving on the highway and hit someone? ask they to give you this in writing which they will never do but that's how you escalate the issue. speak with a Manager and be clear that they need to fix this and it is not your problem if they damaged the paint as they need to fix, that's why we have warranty bumper to bumper or you will be talking to your lawyer.

It sucks but this happens with all car dealers even the expensive one, I had similar issue with my old RS7 and the shark fin antenna that was slightly damaged during a service visit, it was never sealed probably and the dealer refused to fix it because the kit was $1800 to replace and the risk if they took down the headliners which is needed with f**king Audis to access the mounting screws of the antenna they might brake some clips and the whole Alcantara headliners is another couple of Gs.

Tesla build quality issues and service system is a very frustrating combination that people do not realize they would need to deal with when they buy the car. Unfortunately, when you end up needing to deal with the service for the 10th time (to fix the quality issues), it is too late. This would not need to be so: Tesla service was pretty good a few years back, but has been going downhill since that.

Now I cannot recommend Tesla any more.

This is sad - Tesla cars are very good when they work. Not sure what car to replace my Model S with next, but all the hassle I have had to go through with Tesla - it needs to be another brand.

Does Toyota even have a BEV in the pipeline, or are they still hitching their wagon to Hybrids?
Toyota is releasing their smallish sized "BZ" series SUV EV. China told them if you don't make us an electric, then take your sales and get out. So yes they had to capitulate. Doesn't mean it won't be a great car. doesn't mean it'll be more efficient than a comparable model Y either. Asian countries and Europe will get it first. What with chip shortages though? Don't hold your breath for US deliveries.

Well chalk up another sh**ty experience at the Austin service center, this time the one on S Elmo. I took the car in because the trunk is not seated correctly, there is a huge gap on the left side near the rear window and you can tell the trunk is not aligned with the body panels. Long story short tech basically told me too bad, it's within spec and we aren't going to do anything for you. If you want it moved we can but we're charging you and if you have any issues in the future it's on you, with a snarky, condescending attitude. He wouldn't even acknowledge whether or not it looked right and I asked him to compare it to others that were sitting there and he just kept saying it's within spec. This has really soured what has been a great experience thus far with the car.

Is there a way to escalate the issue? I tried calling and it just tells me to use the app, and emails/tweets have gone nowhere...

Reactions: Maric
Man, am I glad I learned to drive a wrench and a screwdriver when I was a teen. I have little doubt that I'd have the spoiler fixed in ten minutes. So many people are simply at a loss when it comes to simple repairs, and it's sad.

Being able to handle small repairs means I don't have to deal with my service center.

Man, am I glad I learned to handle a roll of duct tape when I was a teen. I have little doubt that I'd have the spoiler fixed in ten minutes. So many people are simply trying not to use duct tape when it comes to simple repairs, and it's sad.

Bring able to use duct tape means I don't have to deal with my service center.

Yeah I am not going to read through every post. I'm simply giving my opinion and experience on the matter. Simple solution, if they are refusing to even take your money to look into it, which i'm going to side with Tesla on this one since there is no way to actually get their side of the story, demand that they do it. If they don't, take legal action since it's under warranty and they are refusing service for a reoccuring problem.

Also I've never twisted your words, you just expect me to read through every post when I am just not going to. I've used the information that you've put in your original post and the replies that you've given to me, and I don't care whether you've given other information in replies to other people when I was merely giving my opinion on the matter.

On a side note, kind of strange to have 25 years of BMW ownership where you took cars into shops for problems that couldn't be recreated. Either you mean that it's happened rarely in 25 years and at that point there is no reason to mention 25 years and you could say "it's happened a few times" or you've done this a lot over 25 years and it would make you look like a car owner version of a hypochondriac. Kind of like one of the Tesla reddit groups where people post non issues like they are serious problems, such as a very recent post about someone setting their car to charge to 90% but then it charged to 91% without their permission.

Actually in case your problem is not a problem at all. is it not possible that the vibration is coming from the road? I know lots of areas near me that have rumble strips near the edge of the road that cause a loud vibration for about a half a second if you hit even part of one.
Maybe not twisting, but you were interpreting what I was saying in a different way that I meant.

About the 25 years, I have owned BMWs on and off, and the experience has been that, when there HAS been a strange noise, where I had to take the car in, they never turned me away. In fact, it was almost taking advantage of that, and pushed to have an inspection for something that I didn't know what it was. But the point of me bringing this up was to say that in almost 3 decades of owning BMWs and using their dealership shops to diagnose and fix issues, periodically that I may have had, I have never been turned away for something that sounded like nothing and that I couldn't recreate.
I'm definitely not a mechanical hypochondriac. But if something sounds like something I've never heard before, I won't shy away from bringing into the shop - better safe than sorry - type of thing.

No, as I've mentioned before, the sound is only made when the car is sitting still, or when I've backed up going less than 1 mph.

Fortunately, it hasn't made the vibration again. But I drive my car every day, twice. I'm not going to take 60 videos a month, just to see if I catch it - like they are suggesting I do. So if it does it again in the future, I'm going to have to have this battle with them again.

Thanks for your insight.

It sounds like bad customer service. At the same time if you already tried 23 times to try and catch the issue, has the sound gone away? Having owned a couple of M3s they can make all sorts of small electronic/mechanical noises when you initially sit in them. It makes me think I'm sitting in a Transformer, although I imagine teslas would more likely be the decepticons rather than the good guys lol.
I thought about that as I typed it. The second time it made the vibration, I had already made 13 videos. I just didn't catch it because I was late for an appointment. I continued to make 10 more videos after that, just before my appointment.
And yes, as I explained before, I've owned a 2019 Model 3,and 2 model s before - so I'm very familiar with all the weird electronic sounds they make.
This sound was like playing a hip hop song at 80% Volume... The way your trunk vibrates, that's how it sounded. And that loudly too.
So definitely not normal at all.

not sure what is the update.

But I would respond it is not their call to diced is it bad or not. Also say then Tesla will be liable if the spoiler flew off while you are driving on the highway and hit someone? ask they to give you this in writing which they will never do but that's how you escalate the issue. speak with a Manager and be clear that they need to fix this and it is not your problem if they damaged the paint as they need to fix, that's why we have warranty bumper to bumper or you will be talking to your lawyer.

It sucks but this happens with all car dealers even the expensive one, I had similar issue with my old RS7 and the shark fin antenna that was slightly damaged during a service visit, it was never sealed probably and the dealer refused to fix it because the kit was $1800 to replace and the risk if they took down the headliners which is needed with f**king Audis to access the mounting screws of the antenna they might brake some clips and the whole Alcantara headliners is another couple of Gs.
As a matter of fact I DO have an update on the spoiler. I got a message from someone, and they said that if it does start lifting off more, to set up an appointment for replacement. Two days after that, I get a call from someone else, asking me if I wanted to replace it. I told him that someone had already messaged me and if he was aware of that. He said no, and that I could send him more pictures to show him, and he would take a look. I said that it's bad enough to see it if you're looking at it, but not so that I think it'll fly off on the free way.
So, currently I'm waiting on word from him to see if he's going to set up an appointment for replacement.

They said "try to get it on video". I said "are you kidding?you're asking me to vote a 30 second video EVERY TIME I get in my car, to see if i 'catch it'? Think about that for a second." All he had to say was "unless we can witness it, or you can record it, there's nothing we can do."
Maybe they really are shitty employees and I have no stake in it either way, but I think your response to them was equally bad, if not worse. It probably would make even the best of service people not want to help you any further.

"Try to get it on video" doesn't sound rude to me. It sounds like he wants to help you if he can.

Sadly, we can all mother F Teslas DOG S customer service here at TMC all day long and nothing will change. Our 2021 Model 3 Performance quality was SO BAD and the non existent service was SO POOR that we traded out of it with only 630 miles on it. I couldn't stand to walk into the garage and look at the ill fitting doors, hood, headliner falling down, misfit rear spoiler, driveline vibration, etched stains in side windows, loose rear bumper coming undone, we can go on and on......

So why do we still post here?, because I hope to read here that things have changed over time because crazily enough if they did change or I could be assured of a flawless car and excellent customer service, we would order another.

This all seems to be a diminishing pipe dream

Tesla build quality issues and service system is a very frustrating combination that people do not realize they would need to deal with when they buy the car. Unfortunately, when you end up needing to deal with the service for the 10th time (to fix the quality issues), it is too late. This would not need to be so: Tesla service was pretty good a few years back, but has been going downhill since that.

Now I cannot recommend Tesla any more.

This is sad - Tesla cars are very good when they work. Not sure what car to replace my Model S with next, but all the hassle I have had to go through with Tesla - it needs to be another brand.
Sadly, we can all mother F Teslas DOG S customer service here at TMC all day long and nothing will change. Our 2021 Model 3 Performance quality was SO BAD and the non existent service was SO POOR that we traded out of it with only 630 miles on it. I couldn't stand to walk into the garage and look at the ill fitting doors, hood, headliner falling down, misfit rear spoiler, driveline vibration, etched stains in side windows, loose rear bumper coming undone, we can go on and on......

So why do we still post here?, because I hope to read here that things have changed over time because crazily enough if they did change or I could be assured of a flawless car and excellent customer service, we would order another.

This all seems to be a diminishing pipe dream
I think its all about American workers doing a pathetic job, the technology and tools are there, attention to detail isn’t. Sad days for USA. I believe #45’s pathetic leadership destroyed our countrymen’s ability to give a damn.

My X Plaid was delivered new with a cracked windshield, a bumper that needed to be replaced, a door which wouldn't open, among several other issues. They did a contactless delivery and when I noticed all these things I texted the delivery person before she left the neighborhood. She simply replied, "service center will take care of it, make an appointment." Yeah right. I paid $130k for a car in this condition. Six weeks later, I still don't have my car. There are no windshields for replacement for the X in the US they said. After replacing the bumper there is now an error code regarding the suspension, so that will further delay the car's return to me. No apologies from anyone regarding the delivery experience. The service center employees could care less. If you need service for these cars, set your expectations very low. With regard to Ron's rattle, every other car I have owned with an intermittent problem would be kept at the service center for a couple of days, and the mechanic might drive it home to try an replicate it. They wouldn't just say get lost like they did to you.

• Informative
Reactions: Rodney! and DFW_MVP