Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad side skirt panel damage. Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so I messed up really badly this morning and hit a curb taking a uturn..

Anyways the damage looks to be pretty bad. I'm not sure whether a whole replacement would be needed or if a body shop could fix it.
Just wanted to get peoples opinion on it and any estimated cost.

Car still drives fine btw

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 2,597
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 1,769
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 1,732
Last edited:
Sorry to see. Looks like you have not just rocker panel cover (plastic), but also sheet metal damage That whole lower runner is a single piece with the skin of the rear door frame, the rear quarter panel, and the arch above both doors).

Good news is: most likely no battery or structural damage.

Bad news: if Tesla SC or Certified Body shop get this, they will attempt to replace the whole lower section and potentially part of the quarter panel. $$$

I would recommend a quote from a good/trusted repair shop and an even better paint shop (or a repair shop with a great paint booth) and simply have them replace the plastic rocker cover and repair the rest of the damage. Repaint and call it a day.

Cost? Depending on who pays and who does the work - anywhere from $2-6K, maybe even more if Tesla or a certified body shop, in going by the book, replace more than is really needed and then weld it all in place, repaint, etc.

I did the same thing and have similar side skirt panel damage to my model 3.

My main concern is the battery. When it rains or even a car wash, water will go inside the opening. Will it damage the battery or do any other serious damage to the car?

Thank in advance for any help and insight.

Attachments

• IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 1,579
  • IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 1,655
  • IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_2899.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 1,537
The plastic bottom piece is just a cover. No it won't damage your battery.

If it's not too bad, you can probably cover that with aftermarket sideskirts. I know I would.

The plastic bottom piece is just a cover. No it won't damage your battery.

If it's not too bad, you can probably cover that with aftermarket sideskirts. I know I would.
Thank you for replying back and reassuring the safety of the battery! Also, I didn't know there was a side skirt kit for Tesla model 3. I'll check that out!
Love the Tesla family / community! Again appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I did the same thing and have similar side skirt panel damage to my model 3.

My main concern is the battery. When it rains or even a car wash, water will go inside the opening. Will it damage the battery or do any other serious damage to the car?

Thank in advance for any help and insight.
Yeah you should be fine. I would not get it repaired, costs a lot. Was close to over $7k for me, used an insurance claim.
Although mine is worse, I'm sure they would take the same steps. For some reason, they had to remove the seats, carpet, top glass (which every time they do, they crack the front glass, so had to pay for that), and so much more. i was planning to get the side skirts as well, but I got rear-ended and decided to get both repairs done at the same time to save money for my own insurance covering the curb damage.