Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad speed limit sign recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit sign recognition is not working at numerous locations on US Hwy 285 in Colorado (a major 2 lane highway). The signs are quite obvious and clear. It seems to be missing several 65 speed signs where internal navigation data with wrong speed limit data is overriding the clear signs. This is quite frustrating since it makes autopilot much less useful......

I run into something similar here. We have car, bus, semi speed limits and they appear on the road in that order so the AP sets 70 then 65 then 60. Going 60 on the highway is a death sentence. Makes AP useless...

That isn't the real speed limit. It's more of a suggestion or warning. The true speed limit is always posted in white.
No bueno. While Virginia calls them “Advisory Speed” they clarify, “This sign indicates the maximum safe speed for a highway exit.” I anticipate Tesla will add them, flying into a sharp 35mph safe exit at 65 is scary.

It seems that any white background sign with black digits is incorrectly recognized as a speed limit. In Chicago, there are signs for Route 50, white background and black letters and digits. My car always changes the recognized speed limit to 50, even though it’s a 30 MPH zone. This has happened for the nearly 2 years I’ve had the car. I don’t rely on my Tesla showing the correct speed limit. There are many speed limit signs that have different speeds for different vehicles and my car seems to always default to the slowest speed. I emailed Tesla to inform them of the issues, but I never heard back. It seems like this should be easy to fix, but maybe I’m wrong.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, Tesla was developed for California drivers and made available to the 49 states purely for profit. 😂😂 happy to live in CA where we don’t have <0°F temperatures or multiple speed limit signs. It does recognize auto with trailer speed limits.

• Funny
Reactions: 101dals and cstork
Note: This is NOT FSD beta... even with the Christmas update, this is STILL happening... for a couple years now.

Set AP to 65, and then I pass by one of these NOT speed limit signs... AP drops to a max of 47...

highway-sign.png

The rest of my daily trip, I have to switch to cruise.

speed-limit-sign.png

I mean, they are close to the same thing... :confused:

We have speed limit for cars and trucks, side by side... you can watch the car bounce from one speed to the other for a few seconds before it decides on one.

Hello,
Has anyone found a way to get this if to Tesla? I travel to a town about 100 miles from me. There are two stretches of highway that the posted speed limit is 65 and my 22 m3 thinks it is only 45. This is for 20 and 25 mile stretches of highway at a time. The speed limit has been 65 for at least the last 5 years.

Hello,
Has anyone found a way to get this if to Tesla? I travel to a town about 100 miles from me. There are two stretches of highway that the posted speed limit is 65 and my 22 m3 thinks it is only 45. This is for 20 and 25 mile stretches of highway at a time. The speed limit has been 65 for at least the last 5 years.
Where is this? To determine the speed limit, Tesla uses a combination of a speed limit map dataset and the car's vision system which reads speed limit signs. When the two sources conflict, problems arise. Rumor has it that Tesla uses TomTom for its speed limit mapping dataset, so I can check the location for you. There's really not much you can do about it until Tesla issues another map update. Note: the map background used for navigation in the car's UI is Google Maps.

For me, AP never adjusts the speed that I'm traveling to match the speed limit signs on the road. I have to manually adjust my max speed with the scroll wheel. Or am I missing something? (New Tesla owner, still getting used to the car).

No bueno. While Virginia calls them “Advisory Speed” they clarify, “This sign indicates the maximum safe speed for a highway exit.” I anticipate Tesla will add them, flying into a sharp 35mph safe exit at 65 is scary.
Update. With 2021.44.30.21 the car slows down to an appropriate speed at interstate exits where it used to fly into them at high speed. Much better. The display still doesn't show the exit speed limit, still shows 65 or 70 from the interstate, but it is dramatically improved.

Reactions: mangrove79
Can someone please educate me, on what takes precedence, a physical posted speed limit sign that the car should see and read, or what's hardcoded in the GPS Nav database? On long dives, my 2020 Y seems confused.
From what I've experienced it's what the car can see. I've had times where on the highway it's posted 70 for cars then 60 for trucks. If there's a truck in the right lane blocking the 60 sign the car won't change the speed limit to 60. If there is clear line of sight to the 60mph sign it drops my speed.

Reactions: mangrove79
When my car sees a lower speed limit sign, the display updates with the new speed limit, but Auto Pilot never lowers the speed that I'm traveling at. I have to lower my speed manually with the scroll wheel, or by tapping on the speed limit sign shown on the display. Is there some setting that I haven't found yet to make AP automatically follow the posted speed limits?

When my car sees a lower speed limit sign, the display updates with the new speed limit, but Auto Pilot never lowers the speed that I'm traveling at. I have to lower my speed manually with the scroll wheel, or by tapping on the speed limit sign shown on the display. Is there some setting that I haven't found yet to make AP automatically follow the posted speed limits?
Check here: Choose whether you want Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to engage at the detected speed limit, or your current driving speed. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed.

Also, my preferred method of adjusting my set speed to the current speed limit (and whatever offset you have) is to hold the right stalk down on first detent for 1".

Way more efficient than scroll wheel or tapping screen.

Check here: Choose whether you want Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to engage at the detected speed limit, or your current driving speed. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed and choose either Speed Limit or Current Speed.

Also, my preferred method of adjusting my set speed to the current speed limit (and whatever offset you have) is to hold the right stalk down on first detent for 1".

Way more efficient than scroll wheel or tapping screen.
My "Set Speed" is set to "Speed Limit", but the car still never changes speed when the speed limit changes.

I didn't know about holding down the right stalk to adjust to the current speed, so thanks for that info.

Can someone please educate me, on what takes precedence, a physical posted speed limit sign that the car should see and read, or what's hardcoded in the GPS Nav database? On long dives, my 2020 Y seems confused.

My experience is that it will go with the last speed limit sign it has seen for around 5 miles, and then it defaults to what ever speed limit is coded into the Navigation database. For example, when leaving the town I live in I pass a 55 mph speed limit sign... 5 miles later (without passing any new sign) my "speed limit" drops to 25 mph... this is on a state highway, not some city street or gravel country road. I looked into the data on TomTom and it shows the entire road as 25 mph. So it looks like a physical sign takes precedence over the navigation data, but after around 5 miles it decides to default to the navigation system data. I just did a bunch of updates to TomTom for my local roads in hopes that it will eventually filter down to our cars. I suspect that crap loads of the data in TomTom is incorrect, but in the past nobody gave a crap because they didn't have a car that would limit their driving speed based on incorrect data.... we will be making corrections to this crap for years to come!

Keith