Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad time to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 will probably be a big year for autopilot updates. You probably won't see meaningful battery updates until 2024.

CyberTruck also supposed to be releasing 2023, which may suck up most of Tesla's engineering attention, potentially delaying planned 3/Y updates.

But really, noone knows. If you value increased range/battery check no harm in just waiting and seeing what comes down the pipe of the next few years. But not a bad move to buy the car now either.

Reactions: jayely1
There always be a better tesla. You can wait forever like that.
Just get it and enjoy the car.

Talking about 4680 - it does not look like it will have any significant range improvements. It's mostly improvements for Tesla's business - cheaper manufacturing cost and as result improved profit margin. So you as an end user will not feel the difference. Maybe those batteries will last longer, but I doubt you will keep this vehicle for more than 5-8 years...

Reactions: Mullermn
There always be a better tesla. You can wait forever like that.
Just get it and enjoy the car.

Talking about 4680 - it does not look like it will have any significant range improvements. It's mostly improvements for Tesla's business - cheaper manufacturing cost and as result improved profit margin. So you as an end user will not feel the difference. Maybe those batteries will last longer, but I doubt you will keep this vehicle for more than 5-8 years...
Speaking of which. I find it amazing that you can't officially buy a 4680 Y yet on the website.

Speaking of which. I find it amazing that you can't officially buy a 4680 Y yet on the website.
Right.. this trim is/was randomly offered only to customers not far from the Austin factory.
I had this offer from Tesla, but declined and got a delivery of a regular Long Range model instead of 4680 aka "Standard Range" model. 50 miles of range difference is more important for me than the battery type.

Reactions: cdub
They're building a bunch of the 4680 Ys... Where are they going? Why can't you order one?
They probably don't/can't produce "a bunch" so do not add to the price list as probably will not be able to keep up with the demand. So they quietly offer those options to the customers who ordered Model Y and waiting for the delivery

Reactions: KJD
Well, in theory the $7500 credit comes back in January. However, Tesla may also raise prices when it comes back -- they dropped them when it went away. So you have many things to juggle. However since I think the credit is based on delivery, it might be possible to order now, get delivery next year, pay this year's price and get next year's credit. I presume there is a thread about this somewhere.

Reactions: Yelobird and cdub
Well, in theory the $7500 credit comes back in January. However, Tesla may also raise prices when it comes back -- they dropped them when it went away. So you have many things to juggle. However since I think the credit is based on delivery, it might be possible to order now, get delivery next year, pay this year's price and get next year's credit. I presume there is a thread about this somewhere.
Are you referring too Cali or IL? Assuming CA since it's only 4k here and I haven't seen anything on 2023.