TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bad wrecks: #1007 & #1412

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by TEG, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Can people please stop wrecking these cars so that 1) there might be some left to show our grandkids and 2) second hand value might equal dpeilow bank account level someday... thanks.

2. Bearman

Bearman Member

Hehe, was thinking the same thing.

3. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Was thinking the opposite - come on value appreciation!

4. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

A bad thought occurred to me: can the owners of these two cars actually buy a replacement?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So, TEG, can you tell us how many Roadsters have been totaled, to date?

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if Roadsters have an extremely high crash percentage, or if it's just because it's the only vehicle that TEG keeps track of and I notice it more.

7. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I guess not... maybe we should start buying up the bits to keep our cars running in the future :wink:

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Would need to compare to other cars that can accelerate 0-60 in under 4s.
    The quiet and smooth way it accelerates can also catch someone by surprise.
    Also, the carbon fiber + aluminum design tends to result in salvage status from any major accident that intrudes into the chassis.

9. user497

user497 Member

It could also be that more people use the Roadsters as daily commuters (like I do). I doubt many people use Ferraris and the like as daily commuters. It would be interesting the know what the story is for these 2 crashes. My wife and I are pretty concerned about crashing the Roadster now that there are no new ones. Do you know what insurance would pay for? Since there are no new ones would they look at the used car prices? Or pay back the original price?

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, you have to be very aware of that risk when driving the Roadster. People don't expect your acceleration capabilities, and they also assume that cars make a lot of noise when accelerating. If they think they're alone then they don't bother looking. I've become very attuned to drivers who might not be aware of my presence.

I think that's the bigger problem. A minor accident is repairable... a moderately severe crash will result in a write-off.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You have to call your insurance company to double check. I can't remember the actual terms but one kind of insurance (more common, cheaper kind which is the only one my insurance will provide) will pay what 'fair market value' for the used car is. I think it's possible to get insurance for full, new car price but it seems to be tough to get and likely much more expensive.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Do (non-cf) Elises end up with the same issue? Perhaps our carbon fibre guys should start getting into whole panels.

13. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

VIN 1007 was a test drive car in Menlo Park for quite a while. When I was configuring mine, it was the last one available with black/red rally seats.

All wrecked Roadsters are saddening, but when it's one you've actually sat in....

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Re 1007:
    How could that much damage occur and not trigger the airbags? Kinda scary. It must have been side-swiped (from the passenger's side?).

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

To some degree, yes, I think so.

Help with a total loss claim (victoria insurance) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
    Evaluating the frame of my salvage Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
    Lotus: Aluminium Extrusions and Adhesives

16. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

#1007 is up for auction tomorrow and the pics on copart are nowhere near as bad as the pics on that link. Could this poor car have been wrecked twice?

17. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

A colleague has seen the vehicle and said it's 'in a real mess'. We bid in last weeks auction and thought we won it at $14,000 only to be told later by the broker "the email syas that you are the highest bidder. the lot 20707392 has a sales status On Minimum bid, that means that the car has a reserve price. as the reserve was not met, the seller relisted the car for another sale". We challenged Copart because we could find no such sales status but they don't answer any emails and we can't get to the bottom of this by phone. We don't plan to bid again....

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator