Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad XPEL Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Today I got my new MYP back after paying $3k for XPEL front clip PPF and XPEL tint by an XPEL certified installer. I’ve noticed a lot of dust related bubbles on both the PPF and tint and am wondering if this is normal, or if I should be contacting the installer. I also had the mirror caps and emblems done satin black and I already know that they’re unacceptable. The pictures attached below do not show all the bubbles, there’s probably 20-30+ of these little bubbles, not counting the ones I haven’t noticed. Zoom in on red circles to see them.

Also, if I should be contacting the installer, should I be getting a refund? How should I proceed about this?

Attachments

• C91D1494-D86B-4591-9335-B15E00C2D934.jpeg
    C91D1494-D86B-4591-9335-B15E00C2D934.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 612
  • CCE533AC-984B-4D2D-A43A-BEF991FBC8DB.jpeg
    CCE533AC-984B-4D2D-A43A-BEF991FBC8DB.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 597
  • 1C375999-AA54-4592-96BF-D3484765D10B.jpeg
    1C375999-AA54-4592-96BF-D3484765D10B.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 742
  • B29F021E-928C-4280-A15D-E8756921536C.jpeg
    B29F021E-928C-4280-A15D-E8756921536C.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 559
  • 2C6C93D8-4E83-4BF8-B748-948795CEDF6E.jpeg
    2C6C93D8-4E83-4BF8-B748-948795CEDF6E.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 359A0236-0D39-4E47-B511-AB5ACC82FFA3.jpeg
    359A0236-0D39-4E47-B511-AB5ACC82FFA3.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 0A99DD83-F953-412F-B168-480000F4DED0.jpeg
    0A99DD83-F953-412F-B168-480000F4DED0.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 588
  • Funny
Reactions: Vin_L
Of course you should contact the installer. They are literally the only people who can help you. Explain to them calmly and politely that you’re displeased with the quality of work and see what they say.
What do you think the proper recourse is? Also, what should I be expecting with a ppf install? I’m assuming no bubbles at all. I’ve seen plenty of posts of people saying they’ve had no bubbles at all in their installs.

I’ve contacted them and am waiting on a reply. Hopefully, it gets resolved with no issues. The bubbles for the most part wouldn’t be too noticeable, but when I’m spending $3k, I expect a lot better.

Upvote 0
What do you think the proper recourse is?

Generally I think a good company would say “let us try to make this right” and then I think you give them that shot. I mean, that’s what I’d do. Then evaluate where you are from there.

I generally agree with your assessment of the quality and would be disappointed if I paid top dollar for those results.

Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0
What do you think the proper recourse is? Also, what should I be expecting with a ppf install? I’m assuming no bubbles at all. I’ve seen plenty of posts of people saying they’ve had no bubbles at all in their installs.

I’ve contacted them and am waiting on a reply. Hopefully, it gets resolved with no issues. The bubbles for the most part wouldn’t be too noticeable, but when I’m spending $3k, I expect a lot better.
Your not getting a refund, and not likely getting a discount…if they make it right. Just a bit of an inconvenience.

Upvote 0
Generally I think a good company would say “let us try to make this right” and then I think you give them that shot. I mean, that’s what I’d do. Then evaluate where you are from there.

I generally agree with your assessment of the quality and would be disappointed if I paid top dollar for those results.
Well that’s unfortunately not how it’s going down thus far. Before booking, they were replying to all my text within single digit minute. I texted them yesterday about the bubbles and wrinkles yesterday and they haven’t replied yet. Hopefully this goes well. Don’t want to deal with a hassle at all, I’ve been so busy

Upvote 0
From my experience from a recent xpel installation, a few small air or water bubbles are okay. I even had one the size of a quarter that was concerning but it eventually go away after a few weeks. I called my installer and they were very understanding and said if it doesnt go away, bring it back and we'll redo it. With that said, if you have dust particles or hair, I would bring it back immediately to get them fixed. Good luck!

Upvote 0
They didn’t remove the emblem to wrap???? That’s atrocious.
Yeah the emblems and logos are particularly bad. Luckily I have images of everything with the date and time stamp. I’m actually really surprised by the lack of prep work done. I went to them because they had 5 stars on yelp, around 300 reviews, and are xpel certified. This is particularly bad work though. I’ve seen none professional wraps that look much better as far as the mirrors and emblems go.

Upvote 0
I had a couple of air bubbles in my Xpel similar to your first picture and dark lines along the edge of the front wheels similar to your second photo, though both were smaller areas. I took the car back a couple weeks later to the installer and he was nice about it and fixed them with no issues by "steaming them out" as he described it.

My installer did not remove the hood emblem and instead did a cut out around it which came out fine. He gave me a choice of the cut out or removing/reinstalling the emblem and I just left it to him to decide.

Upvote 0
Yeah the emblems and logos are particularly bad. Luckily I have images of everything with the date and time stamp. I’m actually really surprised by the lack of prep work done. I went to them because they had 5 stars on yelp, around 300 reviews, and are xpel certified. This is particularly bad work though. I’ve seen none professional wraps that look much better as far as the mirrors and emblems go.
I had the same installer for 20 years (SunTek). He retired and I had to find someone new. I researched a number online then visited and chatted with my short list. Though it is a film I hadn’t used before (Xpel), I chose based on work, shop practices, and their passion.

Very happy with the work. They did wife’s MYP. Full body PPF, tint, and ceramic. They removed all trim and emblems to do the PPF.

My Plaid will go to same shop as soon as she arrives.

Upvote 0
I had a couple of air bubbles in my Xpel similar to your first picture and dark lines along the edge of the front wheels similar to your second photo, though both were smaller areas. I took the car back a couple weeks later to the installer and he was nice about it and fixed them with no issues by "steaming them out" as he described it.
Were they dust bubbles or normal air bubbles? I have a lot of dust bubbles on my car, implying a lack of prep work

Upvote 0