Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad XPEL Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Today I got my new MYP back after paying $3k for XPEL front clip PPF and XPEL tint by an XPEL certified installer. I’ve noticed a lot of dust related bubbles on both the PPF and tint and am wondering if this is normal, or if I should be contacting the installer. I also had the mirror caps and emblems done satin black and I already know that they’re unacceptable. The pictures attached below do not show all the bubbles, there’s probably 20-30+ of these little bubbles, not counting the ones I haven’t noticed. Zoom in on red circles to see them.

Also, if I should be contacting the installer, should I be getting a refund? How should I proceed about this?

Attachments

• C91D1494-D86B-4591-9335-B15E00C2D934.jpeg
    C91D1494-D86B-4591-9335-B15E00C2D934.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 0A99DD83-F953-412F-B168-480000F4DED0.jpeg
    0A99DD83-F953-412F-B168-480000F4DED0.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 589
  • 359A0236-0D39-4E47-B511-AB5ACC82FFA3.jpeg
    359A0236-0D39-4E47-B511-AB5ACC82FFA3.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 2C6C93D8-4E83-4BF8-B748-948795CEDF6E.jpeg
    2C6C93D8-4E83-4BF8-B748-948795CEDF6E.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 572
  • B29F021E-928C-4280-A15D-E8756921536C.jpeg
    B29F021E-928C-4280-A15D-E8756921536C.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 560
  • 1C375999-AA54-4592-96BF-D3484765D10B.jpeg
    1C375999-AA54-4592-96BF-D3484765D10B.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 742
  • CCE533AC-984B-4D2D-A43A-BEF991FBC8DB.jpeg
    CCE533AC-984B-4D2D-A43A-BEF991FBC8DB.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 598
  • Funny
Reactions: Vin_L
They were an XPEL authorized installer. I actually need some advice y’all. I texted them two days ago and they didn’t respond, after replying to all my other texts when I was booking fairly quickly. I’ve tried calling in today and texting multiple times and have received no response.

At this point should I just be contacting XPEL. I think it’s pretty shitty that they aren’t responding. I know people tend to be busy, but in this case I’m fairly certain they’re ignoring me. Lol also just 2 days in and the mirror cap wrap is peeling.

Attachments

• BA1D459C-5A76-4914-A75B-18477171138A.jpeg
    BA1D459C-5A76-4914-A75B-18477171138A.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
I’m honestly pretty shocked by this experience. They have a 5 star rating on yelp with 282 reviews and are certified by XPEL. I was fairly certain I was going to have a great experience. If I don’t receive a response by tomorrow, I’ll likely be contacting XPEL and asking for the services to be done at another shop. I’d rather not deal with a shop ignoring me. Shitty part is I have an absurd amount of work to do and this is distracting and stressing the hell out of me.

Upvote 0
I’m honestly pretty shocked by this experience. They have a 5 star rating on yelp with 282 reviews and are certified by XPEL. I was fairly certain I was going to have a great experience. If I don’t receive a response by tomorrow, I’ll likely be contacting XPEL and asking for the services to be done at another shop. I’d rather not deal with a shop ignoring me. Shitty part is I have an absurd amount of work to do and this is distracting and stressing the hell out of me.
Maybe an honest yelp review will get them to respond.

Upvote 0
It looks like they were hurried to finish the job and move onto the next one. Those air bubble needs to be popped with sharp needle or syringe.
I am not sure about the wrap on the mirrors since they look very un-natural (cheap looking) with that black wrap, and you can tell it was wrapped even without those flaws.

Upvote 0
2 days meh I would give them a day or so more $3k for a full cover car is a pretty good deal tbh. keep us updated on what happens im hoping they are just busy with appointments.
He said they did the front clip, which is not a whole car wrap... $3K sounds pretty spendy for just the front clip. Did they do the rocker panels as well?

Oh they did tint as well, I missed that. Depending on how much tint they did, maybe the front clip was cheaper than I've seen :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He said they did the front clip, which is not a whole car wrap... $3K sounds pretty spendy for just the front clip. Did they do the rocker panels as well?

Oh they did tint as well, I missed that. Depending on how much tint they did, maybe the front clip was cheaper than I've seen :)
It wasn't a full vehicle PPF job. So the $3k was their "VIP-Tesla Package" and included the following:
  • XPEL Ultimate Plus front clip (Full bumper, full hood, fenders, lights, and mirrors)
  • XPEL Prime XR+ window tint on all windows
  • XPEL Fusion full body ceramic coating
  • Additional $75 to have the mirror caps wrapped with satin black wrap instead of XPEL
  • Additional $150 for satin black badges
Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have cared if there was just bubbles in the PPF; however, there was issues with pretty much every service they charged me for. I'm especially disappointed in the mirrors and badging. They seriously turned out horrible and they had the audacity to charge me for those services. I mean mirrors are peeling and it's only been 2 days. I also don't even know if they applied the ceramic coating, as the car doesn't seem to have the same reflectivity/luster I've seen in images of ceramic coated cars.

If they don't respond to me by tomorrow, I'll be exposing their name on here as well as on yelp and will also be contacting XPEL. Also never done this to any business before, but may consider charging back on my CC. I'm actually really bothered that they're ignoring me when I know for a fact they're seeing my texts. Horrible business practice, not sure how they have 5 stars on yelp across over 280 reviews.

Reactions: SirSycho
Upvote 0
I had some similar issues getting front end PPF installed recently on my Model 3 at Concours Auto Spa (Marina Del Rey location) in SoCal... 15-20 dirt bubbles, air bubbles underneath the bumper, and peeling film (mirror cap, bumper opening, etc.). They told me to bring the car back and that they'd "take care" of it.

3 weeks later I drop the car back off, and the next day they call me saying the dirt bubbles are actually paint defects in the car. They could either remove the film and I could take the car to Tesla to get them fixed, or they would leave it as-is. Their explanation was suspicious to me, as they completed the paint correction and should have alerted me ahead of time if there were any paint issues (as they specifically told me they'd let me know about any paint issues when I first dropped the car off). I can also see white specs under the bubbles against the dark blue paint, so I know it's just dirt/debris, and the rest of the car's paint (without PPF) is also perfectly fine.

They did replace/fix the film on the mirror cap and some areas that were peeling, and I ended up using a syringe to fix the air bubbles underneath the bumper (I've done this before as this isn't my first car with PPF). So the main issues now are the dirt bubbles, which I can live with as I don't really see them once the car gets a little dusty and I don't trust them enough to bring the car back for a third time.

I think a lot of these shops seem to be rushing cars through (especially if they work on a lot of Teslas), and the prep work is being sacrificed.

Upvote 0
Yeah wouldn’t recommend the shop I went to either. So Cal Tint in Chino, CA. They finally contacted me back telling me they weren’t open Sunday or Monday. They then told me that they’ll check my car when my 30 day inspection date comes up. Not sure if this is a good or bad response. As I’ve notified them of peeling, which should be addressed immediately. I’m just hoping when the 30 days comes up, they take responsibility.

Reactions: oghowie
Upvote 0
I would find that unacceptable for the peeling we dont need to wait 30 days to know that its peeling. Even if its to see if bubbles dry up because of liquid trapped I would think maybe a week 7 days would be enough. Ask to talk to a manager or the owner. Generally I go to G5 Tint shop in Alhambra and has not failed me once.

Upvote 0
Yeah wouldn’t recommend the shop I went to either. So Cal Tint in Chino, CA. They finally contacted me back telling me they weren’t open Sunday or Monday. They then told me that they’ll check my car when my 30 day inspection date comes up. Not sure if this is a good or bad response. As I’ve notified them of peeling, which should be addressed immediately. I’m just hoping when the 30 days comes up, they take responsibility.

My inspection was only 7 days later, and I brought up the issues via text and at that check-up appointment. I wasn't expecting perfect, as I have had PPF'd cars before, but I also wasn't expecting to be able play connect the dots with the bubbles or the dishonest excuse.

Hopefully the shop you went to actually makes things "right." 🤞

Upvote 0
Sounds like they're skirting responsibility and hoping you go away after 30 days. How did you pay? If by credit card, you may want to alert your bank to put a hold on that charge or start a dispute.
Agreed. Thinking to just contact XPEL and see if they can just have another shop fix it. Don’t really wanna deal with this shop anymore. And yes payment was made via Visa CC. Don’t want to go to the extreme route of disputing the charge yet. If they continue with the slow replies or fail to resolve issues, 100% starting a dispute.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Thinking to just contact XPEL and see if they can just have another shop fix it. Don’t really wanna deal with this shop anymore. And yes payment was made via Visa CC. Don’t want to go to the extreme route of disputing the charge yet. If they continue with the slow replies or fail to resolve issues, 100% starting a dispute.
Just let the shop know if you don't hear back from them within 24 hours you'll begin the charge back process. That usually gets a business, especially a small one moving. They can't afford the lost revenue and don't have the resources to fight a large credit card company. You can also use that as justification to your credit card company that you gave them warning and and ample amount of time to respond prior to beginning the charge back process.

Upvote 0