Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badges & Their Meaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "P85" is probably intended to serve the same purpose as "M5" would on a BMW or "AMG" on a Mercedes, for example, because other than the CF accents and gunmetal rims, it would be the only way to know that a car was a performance (and only aficionados would know those other things). No one will know what it means (and we're only guessing now!) at first, but over the next few years I'm sure the hope is that it will turn into something where people actually know the difference between a Performance Model S and a regular.

I've always told dealers that if they put a badge on my car then they need to pay me for the advertising.

I've done the same thing, and the first thing I do with every new car is to take all the dealer marking off. Plate holders and those temporary paper plates that they put where the plates will go.

I probably won't do that with the Model S. :)

I am pretty sure this is the pinnacle of badging. Every car needs one, regardless of actual displacement (or if it even has 'displacement)!

501badge.jpg

I had one of these on my Dodge Neon for a few months. And interestingly enough every car I have owned has been a 2.0L.

I wouldn't want to take my badges off strictly for Tesla's advertising. :)

Support the cause and such.

Yup. I'd do the same. Wonder if we'll all get the Tesla license plate frame for free as Jurvetson did?!

tsframe.png

Otherwise, the word TESLA itself is missing from the exterior of the car. The frame above has the website URL as well.

The only frame available for buying today in the Tesla online store is this:

Tesla License Plate Frame - 'My Next Car is Electric!' Tesla Motors

*EDIT*: There's the T E S L A on the chrome strip under the logo above the license plate; forgot about that. Busy, busy, busy rear...

What's with the badge hate? I guess I would leave mine on strictly so other people can google "Model S".

How else are people going to know how to find "That sweet car" they saw? Never know you may convert people just by driving it and luring them in to all the benefits via google research.

True, but I'm not driving the car to convert people, I'm driving to enjoy it. I usually have no problem with badges, but from the pics, the two seem a bit much on that rear end. We have the Tesla T, the word TESLA on the strip, a Model S badge on the left, and P85 on the right. I'd settle for the T and perhaps Model S back on the bottom right as seen on some of the betas.

No one will know what it means

A true sleeper! No engine growl, just woooosh.

I am pretty sure this is the pinnacle of badging. Every car needs one, regardless of actual displacement (or if it even has 'displacement)!

That'll be on 4 Model S revisions from now :)

Yup. I'd do the same. Wonder if we'll all get the Tesla license plate frame for free as Jurvetson did?!

I hope so! Would be cool with red TESLA letters, I bet that could be painted later.

Otherwise, the word TESLA itself is missing from the exterior of the car.

Nope, it's engrained in the silver strip above the plate.

I don't mind the "Model S" badge, in fact I'm all for advertising the car. However, I'm not a fan of the badge indicating the type of Model S. I've got a few nosy co-workers and their first question will be, "How much did that car cost?" My plan was to respond with "The base Model S starts at $49,900." I'll probably be buying the Performance 85, which as we all know is double, and I wouldn't put it past the majority of them to google how much a "P85" costs. The problem here is that I make considerably more than my coworkers, but I don't think many of them know that...

...so, what kind of fishing line works best? :smile:

I always use the 'well the base is...' line when answering that question for my Roadster (Sport, cf accents, and misc other options). If someone has zero'd in on it with 'well that car isn't base', I mumble about the real estate I sold in Santa Monica and spending my son's inheritance.

[Mustang 5.0 logo image]
I had one of these on my Dodge Neon for a few months. And interestingly enough every car I have owned has been a 2.0L.

SF bay area the equivalent "yuppie" motorhead badge was more like this:
Bmw_M_logo.png