Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badly missing the lane change feature in Y (with no FSD package)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
When the lane changes were introduced, I didn't think it was a big deal. Anyway I need to press the indicator stack, so in my mind I had minimized the value addition it brought. But over the period of years and tens of thousands miles driving in highways and city roads in Autopilot, I had always used it to change lanes. It worked great as long there were semi decent lanes.

I did not realize how much it added value and enhanced AP, until I started driving my new Model Y (with no FSD package) and boy how annoying it is to cancel AP, change the lane and wait for the steering wheel icon to show up and then engage again. So I end up using AP less when frequent lane changes are needed.

I don't begrudge Tesla for reducing the basic AP capabilities, as they have also reduced the price. I bought my Model Y for less price than the base cost of Model 3 LR (without the $5K AP package when Model 3 was released).

I’m worried about this.

I have FSD on our model 3 and just picked up a Y to go with it, but no FSD since my wife doesn’t even use regular cruise control. Figured for how irregularly I’ll driver her car, I won’t mind. But time will tell.

I may subscribe occasionally for long trips as we will likely take the Y.

Trust me...you're not missing much, at least not in Toronto. I've actually turned off the auto-lane change feature; I have it set to requiring confirmation as It makes a lot of weird lane changes, and often illegal ones. I'm often driving on the left side of the highway and it will try to make a left lane change into the shoulder. Or I'll be driving in the HOV lane and it will want to try to make a lane change out of the double hatched white lane markers. Definitely needs some significant improvement :confused:

My understanding is that it used to be part of Autopilot, but when FSD ramped up, Tesla moved the lane change feature to the FSD upgrade. It makes no sense to have Autopilot and not be bale to change lanes without disabling. I would even be willing to pay some amount to have this feature, but not the $10K for FSD.

Trust me...you're not missing much, at least not in Toronto. I've actually turned off the auto-lane change feature; I have it set to requiring confirmation as It makes a lot of weird lane changes, and often illegal ones. I'm often driving on the left side of the highway and it will try to make a left lane change into the shoulder. Or I'll be driving in the HOV lane and it will want to try to make a lane change out of the double hatched white lane markers. Definitely needs some significant improvement :confused:
I am not referring to the Navigate on Autopilot lane change capability where it automatically changes lanes as needed. I don't like that feature.

What I loved so much in my M3 and now missing in MY is the ability to change the lane by pressing stalk, without cancelling AP.

But again remember, I paid $5K more specifically to get AP (with lane change feature ) in 2018 for my M3. For MY I paid nothing and got AP (minus the lane change). So Tesla put the basic AP feature into the base price of the car, which is great.

My understanding is that it used to be part of Autopilot, but when FSD ramped up, Tesla moved the lane change feature to the FSD upgrade.

It was part of the EAP package. But when Tesla eliminated EAP and made AP standard, they only included TACC and single-lane Autosteer in AP, everything else moved to the FSD package. (Other than for the limited time last quarter when they made EAP available again.)

Right - it was part of paid autopilot and has never been part of the built in free autopilot.
A few years ago there was a whole slew of folks complaining about AP being an add-on and how it "wasn't worth it" for the one feature they each wanted. Of course they all wanted a different single feature.
Snap back to today, where they got their wish and basic AP was included - now we have a different set of folks complaining that the first set of folks were wrong. Alway someone unhappy that their pet feature isn't there.

In my previous 3 Tesla's I had EAP/FSD but the price was more reasonable. I do miss the auto lane change on AP but there's no way in hell I'm spending $10K for FSD in it's current form. Especially since Tesla got my money for FSD on 3 different occasions.

I'm hopeful that the FSD subscription option will arrive in 2021 sooner than later. This will be a huge benefit for those leasing vehicles.

Reactions: StarLog and Ol'Blue
In my previous 3 Tesla's I had EAP/FSD but the price was more reasonable. I do miss the auto lane change on AP but there's no way in hell I'm spending $10K for FSD in it's current form. Especially since Tesla got my money for FSD on 3 different occasions.

Did you not get any value back from the EAP/FSD you had on your prior 3 Teslas? It isn't like that option/value just went away when you traded-in/sold them.

I'm hopeful that the FSD subscription option will arrive in 2021 sooner than later. This will be a huge benefit for those leasing vehicles.

I don't see how it will be. Elon/Zach have made it very clear that the subscription will cost more than adding it to your loan/lease. Currently adding FSD to a three year lease costs ~$160/month. So the subscription has to cost more than that. (Which is why I figure $200/month is the lower end, and even that is assuming that they don't raise the price beyond $10k once they release the "feature complete" FSD version to the public.)

Now if you had leased a vehicle and didn't include FSD at the time and now want to add it, then yes I could see where the subscription could be a benefit. (Or if you only want to subscribe for the occasional month. Though we have heard rumors of a significant install fee for the subscription, but maybe that will only be for people that need the HW3 upgrade.)

Did you not get any value back from the EAP/FSD you had on your prior 3 Teslas? It isn't like that option/value just went away when you traded-in/sold them.

I don't see how it will be. Elon/Zach have made it very clear that the subscription will cost more than adding it to your loan/lease. Currently adding FSD to a three year lease costs ~$160/month. So the subscription has to cost more than that. (Which is why I figure $200/month is the lower end, and even that is assuming that they don't raise the price beyond $10k once they release the "feature complete" FSD version to the public.)

Now if you had leased a vehicle and didn't include FSD at the time and now want to add it, then yes I could see where the subscription could be a benefit. (Or if you only want to subscribe for the occasional month. Though we have heard rumors of a significant install fee for the subscription, but maybe that will only be for people that need the HW3 upgrade.)

If I were to keep a car long term, then yes. Because I buy and sell about every 2 years, purchasing FSD for every single car then losing when I sell makes ZERO sense! ;)

If I were to keep a car long term, then yes. Because I buy and sell about every 2 years, purchasing FSD for every single car then losing when I sell makes ZERO sense! ;)

Do you lose more value on the FSD with each sale than the extra the subscription will cost?

Figure the subscription costs $200/month, you are paying the full cost of FSD every ~4 years. If you got 60% of the FSD value back with every sale, that would only cost you ~$166/month for the car that you own for 2 years. (And in some case you could come out ahead, for example if you had paid $5k for FSD but didn't sell the car until it was valued at $10k, then even at 60% you come out $1k ahead.)