Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badly needed changes to Navigation and Energy apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Big Brother aspect of owning a Tesla kinda creeps me out, their ability to monitor energy utilization between map points would suggest that the data is already available to fairly accurately predict the distance that is likely to be traveled with a given level of charge. Yes, I know that load weight and wind are not collected and am aware that driving habits will vary, but info like speed, acceleration patterns, time, GPS coordinates, and heater/ac use could be collected (and probably are). I'd imagine that it would be easy to predict the energy needed between most any two coordinate within the navigation system and the accuracy would improve as more Model S owners travel any given route. For that matter, the driving patterns of individual users could become a variable in a prediction algorithm that further enhances accuracy.

Spartha | AUGUST 9, 2013

I got my metallic green Tesla S today.
On the plus side, besides what is written often, is that it synchronizes effortlessly with iPhone (including music). I am also pleasantly surprised by the fairly dark windows (I may not have to tint but I live in Florida!)
I am a little puzzled that the navigation doesn't have route preferences, such as avoid Toll road, avoid freeway etc (In Florida, they are a must!). I am also puzzled that while Google map could identify my address in a new subdivision, Tesla-Google map doesn't. I had to give a fake nearby address in an older neighborhood to get going. The lack of saving "Home" "work" etc is also of my concern.
Could anyone verify that there is no alternate route preference etc? I vaguely remember something about a "short" and "long" route.
A Tesla navigation "simulation" would be great!

Tesla's navigation system is one of the most rudimentary in the world. It has no POIs, no way to save custom favorites, and no HOME/WORK presets.

Hopefully, once the Euro roll-out is underway, the coding team will have time to address this.