TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Badly repaired 2017 Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ghouston87, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ghouston87

ghouston87 Member

I am stuck with a conundrum. Last May I got into a car accident, pretty bad and I was recommended a shop by an acquaintance. It took them months to repair the car and gave it back with minor issues here and there. Didn’t think much of it. A few weeks ago I got in a small fender bender. Light damage to the rear bumper. I took it to Tesla to have it repaired when they opened it up they found BAD damage from the previous accident. Like think of the sloppiest repair/cover up repairs you have ever seen. But anyways, Apparently the ship pocketed over $20k in repair costs and parts and pretty much just put the outside back together and replaced some parts. I have reported the shop to the NCIB, the TDI and I’m in the process of doing a OAG complaint for fraud against the shop. I still have $39k that I owe and the car is SUPER depreciated. I am looking into options including selling the car AS IS or borderline salvage. My concern would be that whoever buys it at a steep discount may sell it to an unknowing buyer who is unaware of the structural damage and endanger their lives. How much could I sell the car as salvage? It’s a 2017, black model S, AP 2.0, grey slipstreams and white interior with 78k miles on it

PLEASE dont knock on me for my dumb mistake of taking it to a small unauthorized shop. I learned my lesson and won’t do it again.

2. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

sounds like fraud, which means, lawyers. get one.

3. ghouston87

ghouston87 Member

I am looking for one. It has been super bad given the stay at home order or whatever and nobody is working and courts are closed.

• Like x 1
  4. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

good luck. its not your fault. don't feel to blame.

shoddy repair places exist; but lawyer up and go after them.

don't give up. take your time finding the right lawyer; that will matter, the most.

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

If you have started an adverse action against the ship/shop in question, you may position yourself to lose that claim against them if you sell the car before that action is settled. You need to check with a lawyer before you do anything else. At least get something in writing and maybe from the OAG.

6. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

Inform your insurance company who may take care of the legal aspect, and if the other driver was at fault for either accident, look into an appraisal from a Diminished Value appraiser - if the accident was "pretty bad" as you describe, there may still be significant damages you could pursue.