Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badly repaired 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am stuck with a conundrum. Last May I got into a car accident, pretty bad and I was recommended a shop by an acquaintance. It took them months to repair the car and gave it back with minor issues here and there. Didn’t think much of it. A few weeks ago I got in a small fender bender. Light damage to the rear bumper. I took it to Tesla to have it repaired when they opened it up they found BAD damage from the previous accident. Like think of the sloppiest repair/cover up repairs you have ever seen. But anyways, Apparently the ship pocketed over $20k in repair costs and parts and pretty much just put the outside back together and replaced some parts. I have reported the shop to the NCIB, the TDI and I’m in the process of doing a OAG complaint for fraud against the shop. I still have $39k that I owe and the car is SUPER depreciated. I am looking into options including selling the car AS IS or borderline salvage. My concern would be that whoever buys it at a steep discount may sell it to an unknowing buyer who is unaware of the structural damage and endanger their lives. How much could I sell the car as salvage? It’s a 2017, black model S, AP 2.0, grey slipstreams and white interior with 78k miles on it

PLEASE dont knock on me for my dumb mistake of taking it to a small unauthorized shop. I learned my lesson and won’t do it again.

If you have started an adverse action against the ship/shop in question, you may position yourself to lose that claim against them if you sell the car before that action is settled. You need to check with a lawyer before you do anything else. At least get something in writing and maybe from the OAG.

Inform your insurance company who may take care of the legal aspect, and if the other driver was at fault for either accident, look into an appraisal from a Diminished Value appraiser - if the accident was "pretty bad" as you describe, there may still be significant damages you could pursue.