Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually just the opposite. The handles are designed the way they are for a functional purpose: to reduce drag. Tesla would remove the mirrors too if they could get away with it.

Disagree. They’re flush to reduce drag - you’re right. But the design - the “backwards L” is 100% for looks. Nobody sane would design a handle that way for functionality - it’s awkward as all get out.

Exactly. I’ve got 19s and it’s the same thing. Look at the door handles - Tesla DEFINITELY chose form over function there!

Again, that doesn’t make anything right or wrong or good or bad. It’s just what the priority is ... some things one way, some the other. Balance in all things is the key to happiness.
Their function was to reduce drag....

12003932_899854616718479_659574336450732068_n.jpg

Their function was to reduce drag....

But they chose the silly “backwards L” FORM over FUNCTION - a door handle that works, doesn’t stick in the ice and is actually operable by people who don’t know the secret handshake.

yes; flush handles are to reduce drag. But this specific form is designed for looks and looks only.

Reactions: holmgang
But they chose the silly “backwards L” FORM over FUNCTION - a door handle that works, doesn’t stick in the ice and is actually operable by people who don’t know the secret handshake.

yes; flush handles are to reduce drag. But this specific form is designed for looks and looks only.

The customization world has been using very similar door handles long before Tesla was. And no it wasn't done for aerodynamics before but a sleek look. I am sure it saves on drag also so a great combination for Tesla. But let's don't give Tesla all the praise for this stolen design.
bfd078301c7d44db8f508fc507453672.jpg

Their FUNCTION was to also reduce costs and be simple to use. It takes a person using it literally once to figure it out...

Fair enough, but can you drive anywhere with the car lowered ? And if not, what is the point ?

I grew up in San Diego and remember hispanic kids cruising the neighborhood in 'low riders.' All I know is that they drove a lot slower than a kid on a bicycle.
I have a controller that easily adjusts my height for any road condition.

I don’t drive at this height. This is completely aired out.

Because there isnt any function to lowering the car like that (or putting the "tesla" logo on the back of the car, or many other things people do to change the look of their car, just as @dmurphy said).

Just like he said, that doesnt make it bad. My car has 20 inch rims from the factory, and thats also "form over function", since 18 inch wheels with the aero caps provide better range, and less potential for damage. So, my rims are also "form over function" and it came that way.
My suspension is fully adjustable.

Your stock suspension is not.

You’re telling me your suspension has more function?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I have a controller that easily adjusts my height for any road condition.

I don’t drive at this height. This is completely aired out.
If not driven at this height, why show it to everyone at it?

Just comes across as a useless modification when shown like that.

Showing it at a drive-able height while still showing off the custom suspension would have gotten a much better reception from everyone.

Reactions: MarsOrBust
Well done, OP. The bagged look is certainly not my style, but I like seeing some variety in a sea of cookie-cutter Model 3’s!!
Despite many of the light mods I’ve made (and continue to make) to mine, it still pretty much looks like all the other 3’s on the road.... and that’s OK to with me.
Please post some pics after you get your new wheels! I’m one who would like to see it!

If not driven at this height, why show it to everyone at it?

Just comes across as a useless modification when shown like that.

Showing it at a drive-able height while still showing off the custom suspension would have gotten a much better reception from everyone.
You think I care about “a better reception from everyone”. Lol

I do what I want. If you like it cool.

If you don’t cool.

You know how they use to say don't knock it till you try it? I'm actually surprised by how close minded everyone in here is about this... You'd think we are all kind of outliers in our own ways opting for an EV when the majority of the world is still ICE. Try to accept new and different things maybe?

I don't need to eat glass to know I won't like it.

What everyone don't understand is picture of aired-out look, it is just for photos or car events. You cannot drive the car that way as the suspension is completely out of air for looks. With air suspension there is a ride height which could be anywhere from .1inch drop to 2inch drop. If you look at signature wheel post of same car which seems to be the ride height about 1.5inch drop.

Lot of people negative post and confusion is they don't realize that parked aired-out/slammed look is just for parking not driving.

You know how they use to say don't knock it till you try it? I'm actually surprised by how close minded everyone in here is about this... You'd think we are all kind of outliers in our own ways opting for an EV when the majority of the world is still ICE. Try to accept new and different things maybe?

I think some dislike it maybe because Tesla strives to be mentioned in the same class as MB, BMW, Audi... with regards to public perception. The bagged looks definitively relegates this vehicle to another category altogether. I have never seen any of those other marques bagged, though I'm sure one exists, Lol.