Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bah! Ran over a ladder and damaged the undercarriage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the autopilot cameras will ever be able to detect road debris in time to avoid them? Waze warnings might be the key but the reporter would have to state what lane is blocked and the Tesla would have to identify this and switch lanes. Of course by then, the object could have been hit and knocked into a different lane.
That's something I wonder about too - ie how AP would handle such kind of debris/obstruction in the road. I'm guessing it might just drive right over it?

A couple years ago I was driving on a hilly/twisty stretch of I-5, and suddenly came upon a ladder on the road just as I rounded a curve. I was using AP in my Model S most of that trip, but I had disengaged it a bit prior since I was uncomfortable with the way AP was rounding some of the tighter curves at full highway speed. Luckily there were no other cars on that stretch of road and I had time & space to manually swerve. I'm not confident AP would have reacted the same way...

Reactions: Achilles
I wonder if the autopilot cameras will ever be able to detect road debris in time to avoid them? Waze warnings might be the key but the reporter would have to state what lane is blocked and the Tesla would have to identify this and switch lanes. Of course by then, the object could have been hit and knocked into a different lane.

This is one of the larger challenges for autonomous systems. They can detect objects but determining the difference between a large rock or a harmless plastic shopping bag hasn't been solved yet. In loads of videos where companies demonstrate collision mitigation systems they always use an inflatable "car" as the object. Everyone is so impressed by the system that few realize the dangerous flaw. A system slamming on the brakes in snow/rain because it thinks it see's an object. On tractor trailers this is especially dangerous. Even involving a deer it's safer to strike the animal vs swerving or jamming the brakes when loaded to 80,000 lbs. Yet almost weekly large heavy haul truck manufacturers tout the safety advantages of these horrible systems. They're not ready and drivers lives are being put at risk to sell a feature.

Reactions: Achilles and e-FTW
if it's just tears in the cloth, I don't think i would bother fixing it. Bad luck comes in 3's right so keep your eyes peeled!

ON the freeway in LA I once saw a lug-nut fly off a truck, bounce once then into the drivers side window opening of my car(window was down). I saw it out of the corner of my eye and ducked forward and the lugnut struck me in the back.

I have plowed into boxes falling off cars in front of me in my truck, and smashed into packages with my car that trucks in front of me straddled while jumping onto an Interchange. New cars sure don't stay new for long. There is not always something you can do about it.

Last edited:
Picked up the car today - they had the part, so were able to replace it on this trip!

Screenshot 2018-03-24 16.13.04.png

Not too bad for someone used to Model S prices. ;)

Looks like fiberglass :) Just repair it yourself! I know lots of people who used to repair their fiberglass canoes back in the day. Same principle surely :D

LOL, I am sure I could have done that, however by the time I jacked the car up, removed the part, repaired it, cured the resin (making a big mess - I am not good with adhesives), I would rather just pay the $200 and be done.

Besides it was an opportunity to get a software update, although I didn't get 10.1, which is what I was hoping for. Boo.

I did not stop as it was on the freeway. Too dangerous to move myself. Folks who weren’t so lucky dodging the sawhorse that probably fell of the same truck had stopped to asses the damage to their cars. They hopefully got a company name or something.

Years ago I had a contractor pickup truck lose a full 5 gallon bucket of random tools, nuts and bolts right in front of me. Took out the VW emblem on my Jetta. And once I had just changed lanes when the pickup truck who was in front of me lost a still-in-the-box new refrigerator. It looked a bit dicey so I got out from behind him just in time. It got so bad the local news (DFW area) did a story about all the lost loads and had my favorite “man on the street” quote ever. Fellow with a strong East Texas accent said “I had to dodge a MATTRESS!”

The craziest thing I ever saw on the road, although not loose debris, was a fellow who was hauling his horse on a low-boy trailer. Horse just tied up to the front with a lead sitting out in the wind on the freeway. Too bad there weren’t dash cams back then. That fellow did get pulled over.

About 15 years ago, a battered old Astro minivan dropped his spare in front of me (like a lot of pickups, it's under the rear load floor on the outside, horizontal.) A guardrail on one side, a car on the other, and I'd grown up driving full size pickups, so I straddled it - and it crushed the oil pan flush with the block on my already ancient diesel Mercedes. I'm just lucky the block was deep-skirted enough to leave the crankshaft room to spin.

The worst one I saw I was fortunately a couple hundreds yards back when it happened. A flatbed semi locked up his brakes in the next lane over - and a second or two later, the steel bands broke and he threw a couple dozen 8 foot square half inch thick steel plates across three lanes horizontally. If I'd been five seconds earlier, I'm pretty sure it would have decapitated me (there was no one between me and the truck, either.)

This is one of the larger challenges for autonomous systems. They can detect objects but determining the difference between a large rock or a harmless plastic shopping bag hasn't been solved yet. In loads of videos where companies demonstrate collision mitigation systems they always use an inflatable "car" as the object. Everyone is so impressed by the system that few realize the dangerous flaw. A system slamming on the brakes in snow/rain because it thinks it see's an object. On tractor trailers this is especially dangerous. Even involving a deer it's safer to strike the animal vs swerving or jamming the brakes when loaded to 80,000 lbs. Yet almost weekly large heavy haul truck manufacturers tout the safety advantages of these horrible systems. They're not ready and drivers lives are being put at risk to sell a feature.

If a FSD car came across the scenario the OP did, it has to decide whether it's going to swerve into another lane in a possibly illegal and dangerous fashion or try to straddle the debris. That's at least as big a problem as identifying the objects - deciding which rules to break and when. It's similar to the "who do you kill" problem that folks are using to spread FUD about autonomous cars, but more realistic.

Of course, Tesla may be able to reduce the probability of this, too. One of the things I'm expecting to come out of AP2 in due course is Tesla's own automated Waze type service, where the AP cars are automatically contributing data on traffic conditions and hazards to a database for the other cars to use. The conditional shots verygreen got from his car show that AP2 already has a solid understanding of things like construction and of course all the cars know where they are and how heavy the traffic around them is. In principle, a car could quite easily add a "debris on the road at x location in lane y" to the list, and the second Tesla to encounter it will already be in another lane (and if it changes lanes as someone suggested above, the third car will update the server with the new location.)

Reactions: mongo
If a FSD car came across the scenario the OP did, it has to decide whether it's going to swerve into another lane in a possibly illegal and dangerous fashion or try to straddle the debris. That's at least as big a problem as identifying the objects - deciding which rules to break and when. It's similar to the "who do you kill" problem that folks are using to spread FUD about autonomous cars, but more realistic.

No, the FSD car just needs to stop to avoid an accident. There's no need to break a single road rule here.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Picked up the car today - they had the part, so were able to replace it on this trip!

View attachment 288968

Not too bad for someone used to Model S prices. ;)

Thanks for the detail @Az_Rael. A very similar thing just happened to me yesterday. Although I was on a surface street and I ran over what looks like a muffler. I had 1 second to react so rather than swerve or hard brake, I just hoped the lump metal I saw in the road was shorter than my clearance. Nope. Damn ICE cars and their extra parts! :) My fiberglass undercarriage cover was torn in two places and a 12" long gouge down the battery case. I was wondering what this would cost, so thank you very much for all the info!

Thanks for the detail @Az_Rael. A very similar thing just happened to me yesterday. Although I was on a surface street and I ran over what looks like a muffler. I had 1 second to react so rather than swerve or hard brake, I just hoped the lump metal I saw in the road was shorter than my clearance. Nope. Damn ICE cars and their extra parts! :) My fiberglass undercarriage cover was torn in two places and a 12" long gouge down the battery case. I was wondering what this would cost, so thank you very much for all the info!
$15k + 4.5hrs labor if you need a new battery. Hopefully the gouge is superficial.

Reactions: scottlawson

Yeah, it’s not too bad for just the fiber thingie. Keep an eye out for fluid leaks though, there are a lot of coolant hoses just under the fiber part. Battery coolant is blue supposedly.

Well from watching the video I am not sure that I would have done anything differently in the moment ...

I like to keep a mental note if anyone is on either side of me at all times. Just so I know immediately if I'm able to swerve into an ajacent lane or not should the need arise.

In this situation, the shoulder is on the left, so that was always an opening for him. But yeah... usually the safest route is not to jerk the car around. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.

I hate road debris! You end up playing chicken with last minute decisions to straddle or swerve. I chose “straddle” after seeing one car clear it then saw it was a dang construction ladder! Ssssccccrrrrraaaaaaaappppeee!

Sigh. Drove home and checked out the underside. Nothing leaking, and to looks like just the cover is damaged (hopefully). Booked an appointment next week with the Service Center to see how much this is gonna cost me. Would rather pay out of pocket than file for insurance at this point.

Will keep folks updated with repair costs.

View attachment 287036
I didn't see this thread when it was posted in March 2018, but this was is what I came across today.