Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Balancing NEM buckets over the year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You pay the Minimum Charges and Non-Bypassable Charges every month on your blue bill. The true-up is a separate transaction. PG&E does not pay out any credit balances from the true-up statement. If you are a net consumer of kWh over the year, your credit balance simply disappears. If you are a net exporter, the credit balance is replaced with the Net Surplus Compensation of ~$0.03/kWh. CCAs have their own rules about their Generation Charges and their credits for surplus exports and TOU credits. If you are on a CCA, you are not eligible for PG&E's Net Surplus Compensation. By the same token, if you are on a CCA, you will never get any credits paid out from PG&E at true-up.
I pay nothing each month. I am a huge exporter. Each month my bill goes more negative. :)

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
that would be ~500 kWh extra production each month!
I for summer have sent back 1 to 2 Mwh to PGE. :)

use.JPG

what? There aren't any credits on the Blue Bill
There is so much stuff on that bill, not sure what words mean what. I first get a bill per month, one is a few pages. It is now like a 87 buck credit.
I then get a long, which I assume is the blue bill, which has all the details, like how much credit or bill do I have towards my true up.

Am I using the wrong words?

There is so much stuff on that bill, not sure what words mean what. I first get a bill per month, one is a few pages. It is now like a 87 buck credit.
I then get a long, which I assume is the blue bill, which has all the details, like how much credit or bill do I have towards my true up.

Yes you are.

The long bill (10+ pages) is all in black and white and is nicknamed the "black bill" for your "NEM PAIRED STORAGE ACCOUNT". The regular PG&E bill is in color and has the PG&E blue logo on it and is nicknamed the "blue bull".

The "blue bill" should have you paying at least the Minimum Daily Charge * the number of days in the month, so somewhere between $9.50 and $10.60 a month. The "black bill" is how your annual true-up is calculated and gets reconciled once a year.

• Informative
Yes you are.

The long bill (10+ pages) is all in black and white and is nicknamed the "black bill" for your "NEM PAIRED STORAGE ACCOUNT". The regular PG&E bill is in color and has the PG&E blue logo on it and is nicknamed the "blue bull".

The "blue bill" should have you paying at least the Minimum Daily Charge * the number of days in the month, so somewhere between $9.50 and $10.60 a month. The "black bill" is how your annual true-up is calculated and gets reconciled once a year.
Okay, because of the all the true up changes, we paid money they now with the adjustments, they still owe us money, so no payment at all. We just got the credit thing so the net of the bill went from -72 to minus 84.

The long black and white, yep, is where I have recorded like a 3200 buck credit now for all I have been sending back to PGE for the last few months.

Still waiting for one more true up, so things are still a mess.

Thanks

Okay, because of the all the true up changes, we paid money they now with the adjustments, they still owe us money, so no payment at all. We just got the credit thing so the net of the bill went from -72 to minus 84.

The long black and white, yep, is where I have recorded like a 3200 buck credit now for all I have been sending back to PGE for the last few months.

Still waiting for one more true up, so things are still a mess.

Thanks
As the posts above mention, if you are a net producer at True-Up, those dollar amounts will go out the window and you will be compensated at ~$0.03/kWh for your surplus production.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. But it appears the way PG&E defines it, if the sum of your monthly Energy charges is negative, you get compensated for surplus energy at ~$0.03/kWh. If the sum is positive you owe that amount. Am I missing something?
You can have negative NEM without being a net producer. In fact, I had that last year. I got solar before PWs. My NEM without PW was positive (~$150.) and not a net Producer. Added PWs and used Cost Savings. Got NEM of -$900, but still not a net producer as Solar was the same. Now, I've scaled back Cost Savings to have Reserve at 60%

But it appears the way PG&E defines it, if the sum of your monthly Energy charges is negative, you get compensated for surplus energy at ~$0.03/kWh. If the sum is positive you owe that amount. Am I missing something?
No, that's correct.

The point is that say you arrange to do your energy exporting during Peak hours (via load shifting with PWs). Then the marginal value of your kWh exported goes like this, as you export more and more (compared to your load):

- While you have a positive true up, each exported kWh is worth the Peak rate.
- When your true-up hits $0, you are still a net kWh consumer, so your marginal exported kWhs are worth $0.
- Once you become a net kWh exporter for the year, your marginal exported kWhs are worth ~$0.03 each (per an earlier post).

Cheers, Wayne

No, that's correct.

The point is that say you arrange to do your energy exporting during Peak hours (via load shifting with PWs). Then the marginal value of your kWh exported goes like this, as you export more and more (compared to your load):

- While you have a positive true up, each exported kWh is worth the Peak rate.
- When your true-up hits $0, you are still a net kWh consumer, so your marginal exported kWhs are worth $0.
- Once you become a net kWh exporter for the year, your marginal exported kWhs are worth ~$0.03 each (per an earlier post).

Cheers, Wayne

for the 3rd scenario (net kWh exporter), they simply look at annual generated vs consumed without regard to time of day anymore?

A picture is worth a thousand words, right?
You should see something like this every month. These are the Minimum Charges.

PG&E Min Charges Monthly.jpg