Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ball Joints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my 3rd year annual service completed by the team at Richmond. As usual very happy with with the service and response to my concerns, yellow screen and charge door not fully closing. However in response to my report of a squeaking noise from front suspension was informed the left upper ball joint requires replacement. Fortunately still covered by warranty, l am disappointed that it is worn out after only 70,000km. Yes this is a heavy vehicle, but I would suggest some under design / engineering of this ball joint. Only highway driving over reasonable road surfaces by a careful driver.

Just had my 3rd year annual service completed by the team at Richmond. As usual very happy with with the service and response to my concerns, yellow screen and charge door not fully closing. However in response to my report of a squeaking noise from front suspension was informed the left upper ball joint requires replacement. Fortunately still covered by warranty, l am disappointed that it is worn out after only 70,000km. Yes this is a heavy vehicle, but I would suggest some under design / engineering of this ball joint. Only highway driving over reasonable road surfaces by a careful driver.
I havnt noticed other cars experiencing this on the australian threads, so maybe the part is faulty rather than under-designed. Great that tesla are dealing with it though. Richmond has stolen Adelaide’s head tech, so you are now in exceptional hands.

At my last service I noted rattling from the front suspension And they said it was a lower control arm at $1500 each. They replaced one arm but the rattle remained, so they kept it overnight. In the morning they rang to say they had replaced the copper grease behind the brake pads and the rattle stopped. They even put back the original lower control arm and all was still quiet. In the end they charged for a couple of hours labour. My car was at 120,000Km at the time. if your rattle sounds like money in a tin can it may be the same issue.