Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ball mount for towing a U-haul trailer

gfb107

Sep 3, 2015
Cary, NC
I want to rent a u-haul trailer to tow with my Model X. I'll be driving about 40 miles, hauling a 400 lbs power wheelchair on a motorcycle trailer. I'll easily be able to center it directly on the load line over the tires.

U-haul trailers have a coupler height of 18", according to U-Haul: Tips: How To Install A Ball Mount ON Your Vehicles Hitch

The Model X's hitch height is 14" (suspension at standard, measuring to the inside-top of the hitch opening).

That tells me I should use a ball mount with a 4" rise.

The manual for the Model X specifies a maximum rise of 3/4".

Which is more important, staying within the 3/4" maximum rise, or getting the trailer level with a 4" rise mount?

Or would it make sense to split the difference at 2 3/8" rise?

Also I already have a ball mount with 1" rise.

Thanks for any advice.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
I want to rent a u-haul trailer to tow with my Model X. I'll be driving about 40 miles, hauling a 400 lbs power wheelchair on a motorcycle trailer. I'll easily be able to center it directly on the load line over the tires.

U-haul trailers have a coupler height of 18", according to U-Haul: Tips: How To Install A Ball Mount ON Your Vehicles Hitch

The Model X's hitch height is 14" (suspension at standard, measuring to the inside-top of the hitch opening).

That tells me I should use a ball mount with a 4" rise.

The manual for the Model X specifies a maximum rise of 3/4".

Which is more important, staying within the 3/4" maximum rise, or getting the trailer level with a 4" rise mount?

Or would it make sense to split the difference at 2 3/8" rise?

Also I already have a ball mount with 1" rise.

Thanks for any advice.

The suspension is auto-leveling, so while the X is measured at 14" it will adjust accordingly. With that said, I'm not sure what the limits are in terms of the amount of height adjustment.

For a tandem trailer, proper levels will matter more than a single axle trailer. The u-haul motorcycle is single axle and weighs 800lbs empty. With the wheelchair, it's a total of 1200lbs and should have a tongue weight of about 120lbs.

If it was me, for such a short distance with such a light load, either option really would work. If we look at having it tilted forward, just rearset the load to reduce overloading the tongue. The X is also heavy enough that you're not going to jack the front up into the air. I'd personally stick a .75" (or 1") rise and do the tow.

If you decide to use a 4" rise, the 120lbs on the tongue; I don't see how this would be any worse than having 120lbs of bike on a bike carrier (that's within spec) on a much bigger rise.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC