Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Balloon squeal" acceleration whine gone with 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine comes and goes. I haven't been able to discern anything with which it correlates. The car didn't do it for the first month, then starting doing it one day (it's rather alarming the first time you hear it), then it went away again. Doesn't seem related to SOC, motor temp, or external environment.

Has anyone figured out what that sound actually is?

It's something about the maximum current is flowing and it makes that sound. There's another thread about it.

It only happens for me if it's fully floored at 320... if I'm even slightly hesitant, I don't get the sound.

Savor it, it's all we got for sound! :)

-m

I never had it and Tesla had to change my drive unit. Now I have it and HATE it. It occurs every time I have to pass someone quickly - especially on 2 lane roads, or when I briskly accelerate. A load in the car does not matter, as most of the time it is just me. I checked with Tesla, and they said it is normal. I will be contacting them again as it sounds awful, and passengers when in the car always want to know what it is and what is wrong with the car!!

My Sept.2014 build car has the balloon squeal sound. Since it only happens when pushing really hard... we think of it as a "turbo" whine and is feedback from the car telling you it's doing its best. Treat it as a characteristic noise of EV drive.

If you hear that sound a lot, you are driving too fast!

If you want absolute silence driving your EV, earplugs are the quickest route to success.