TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Balloon Squeal Gone in 'Ds'?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Forty Creek, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Just curious to know if anyone in possession of a new 'D' hears the balloon squeal when accelerating?
    It seems to have returned on my car, perhaps as the temperatures became a bit milder.
    I know the sound is supposed to be harmless, but wondered if Tesla found a way to get rid of it with the latest cars?

2. krisg81

krisg81 Member

I just went from a P85 to a P85D. Maybe because the D is new, but I've noticed the rear motor is almost completely silent and the front motor is all I hear now. The squel was present in my P85 which I didn't mind at all. The D just sounds cooler though.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, I had a P85D loaner, and didn't hear the squeal once. On the flip side you do hear the front motor constantly now under normal acceleration (under hard acceleration, you can't hear anything above the passenger screams). Under normal acceleration, you hear a quiet electric motor startup sound.

4. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Interesting. Thanks for the responses. Perhaps Tesla has remedied this. Yes, I guess there are other squeals coming from the D now. Still triggered by acceleration though. :biggrin:

5. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

No balloon noise on my 85D. I had it on my S85. Now we just have a different front motor noise that seems to vary somewhat from D car to D car.

6. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

I thought the balloon squeal was being reported as being removed when owners got their contactors replaced (in older non-D cars and packs)? So if true this is perhaps just because newer packs have the new contactor build.

7. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I would have expected my September 2014 built S85 not to have had the balloon noise then, but it did.

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

No balloon squeal in my P85D. As has been noted by others, all I hear in my P85D is front motor noise under heavy acceleration.

Also, I noticed there is no balloon squeal in the new high VIN S85 loaner I got today. In addition, I couldn't hear any noise from the motor (rear) at all under full throttle on the S85. They've really quieted things down.

9. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

It's good to get the sense that this has been dealt with. It's not a big deal but I love the quiet of my car. Anything that that detracts from it, is a negative. On that note, I had my winter tires removed today :smile:
    Dancing with the notion of moving to a 'D'!

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Another one bites the dust! :)

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Get er for a birthday gift...:wink:

For what it's worth, no squeal in our P85D, but we didn't experience a squeal in our P85 either...

12. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

My P85+ had a good squeal, no squeal in my D.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

My P85 had the squeal since delivery, but then my drivetrain was replaced and it's not returned. Perhaps it's a solved problem for new cars rolling off the line.

14. Torpedo Ted

Torpedo Ted Member

I had the ballon squeal sometimes in my P85. Then the DU was replaced, and it was even more frequent in the beginning, but then, the last months I haven't heard it at all. I suspected that a firmware updated fixed it.

But yesterday I got my P85D, and I hear a slight balloon squeal sometimes when launching.

15. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Trouble maker :smile:

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Yes, I've heard the balloon squeal in a production P85D at full throttle during a ride-along. It didn't seem as pronounced, however, because of all the motor noise.