Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

Balloon Squeal Gone in 'Ds'?

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Yeah, I had a P85D loaner, and didn't hear the squeal once. On the flip side you do hear the front motor constantly now under normal acceleration (under hard acceleration, you can't hear anything above the passenger screams). Under normal acceleration, you hear a quiet electric motor startup sound.

No balloon squeal in my P85D. As has been noted by others, all I hear in my P85D is front motor noise under heavy acceleration.

Also, I noticed there is no balloon squeal in the new high VIN S85 loaner I got today. In addition, I couldn't hear any noise from the motor (rear) at all under full throttle on the S85. They've really quieted things down.

Get er for a birthday gift...:wink:

For what it's worth, no squeal in our P85D, but we didn't experience a squeal in our P85 either...

It's good to get the sense that this has been dealt with. It's not a big deal but I love the quiet of my car. Anything that that detracts from it, is a negative. On that note, I had my winter tires removed today :smile:
Dancing with the notion of moving to a 'D'!

I had the ballon squeal sometimes in my P85. Then the DU was replaced, and it was even more frequent in the beginning, but then, the last months I haven't heard it at all. I suspected that a firmware updated fixed it.

But yesterday I got my P85D, and I hear a slight balloon squeal sometimes when launching.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC