TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Banging noise over bumps

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ZapM3, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ZapM3

ZapM3 Member

Has anyone experienced or learned about a banging noise coming from the rear of the car when going over bumps? It seems to happen almost exclusively under hard acceleration. It happens on my M3 (26xxx) anytime I encounter a fairly minor road imperfection while flooring it. My main theory is that it was from the motor quickly cutting power from a sudden loss of traction. My secondary theory is that is from the rear suspension when it is compressed from the weigh shift to the rear and then gets compressed further by the bump.

I can't seem to find other reports of this on-line so I am about to make a service center appointment. But I figured I would check here first. I've taken all personal items from the car, including the charging adapter, and it still happens. It is not a minor noise. It is fairly loud.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

See what is in your trunk. Is it may the charging cable?

• Like x 1
  3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Those darned pedestrians

• Funny x 6
  4. LBusDoor90

LBusDoor90 Member

I have it too. I have just assumed it is the lid over the trunk well getting a little airborne and then slamming when it comes down.

• Informative x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

OP already said the UMC was removed. But yeah, remove everything to see if it’s a built in issue or not!

6. ZapM3

ZapM3 Member

I tried removing everything and the noise remained. So it’s definitely coming from the car itself.

The noise doesn’t bother me much. I love the car. I’m just worried that something is getting stressed in a way it’s not designed for and may eventually fail.

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Are you sure it's not your tow hook stashed somewhere. In our MS it was in the rear in a side compartment I think. Not sure about the Model 3 as I don't have mine yet. If you know where the hook is and it's not that, then definitely call service to have it checked out.

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I believe the 3 is the only current car that actually has a built in storage spot for the tow hook (under the mat in the frunk). You’re right, though, it could be rattling around somewhere. Could also be noise radiated from the front, but unlikely.

Is the sound system subwoofer in the trunk area and that could be loose? Thinking of largish items that are ‘built in’ here... :D

9. dduffey

dduffey Member

Yes has happened to mine twice, both times during hard acceleration over a bump. Also happened to friend's. In all cases the bump in the road was pretty minor (a manhole cover and cracks).

I assumed it was a combination of high impact torque the suspension bottoming out and I now pay more attention to the road when accelerating.

I never got out to investigate the road itself but did check the car because it was louder than I would expect for that speed/size.

10. effinb

effinb Member

Haven't experienced that with mine, but a friend did with hers and it turned out to be a loose rear sway bar. Simple and quick fix at service center once they figured out that's what was causing it.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. ZapM3

ZapM3 Member

The cause of the noise was a sub-frame bracket that needed to be tightened.

Concern: #VSC [CAT1]:Hard acceleration and hitting a bump, Customer hearing a pretty loud
    bang.
    Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
    Technician verified concern with customer. Technician identified re-torquing of subframe
    bracket needed to be performed. Technician performed. re-torquing of sub-frame bracket.
    Verified no abnormal noise on validation test drive post re-torquing.

• Informative x 2