Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banging noise over bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had rescheduled my appointment yesterday, but for some reason it never updated in the system and reverted back to the 26th when
I will be out of town. I am not sure if it will be covered under warranty since I am now outside of the first year of ownership, but does not seem to be anything too major at the moment. I might rotate my tires and look for anything that needs to be tightened, but otherwise I am not sure if it is the strut or some other part popping when the frame flexes going over bumps.

I won't get it checked out until next year it looks like. The Dallas Service Center was totally slammed through the end of the year. They also said they have only been installing HW3 for the S and X so far.

So my issue with noises over bumps was a super simple fix. It was coming from the trunk going over bumps and they just adjusted the rubber twist bumpers to remove the slack on it. I was hoping it would be something a little bigger so I could borrow the 100D, but oh well. 22k miles and the rubber may move out of place. They have the same bumpers on the frunk also and they can help with alignment when the trunks are closed or vibration if it makes noises.

The tech recognized the noise on my drive with him and fixed it in the parking lot. It was the 4th time he had to do that so is pretty common on this issue of random banging noise going over bumps. IMO it should be a slightly better design, but is an easy fix. One of the front bumpers fell out the other day and I screwed it in more so it won't unscrew it self. It just seems like it could fall out easily, but is probably less than $5 if it does.

I have a similar noise. It sounds like large marbles rolling around or creaking, and initially only happened on bumps, but now I hear it pretty much everywhere.

I took it into Tesla 3 times before they finally acknowledged the sound and would even take a look. Once they did that, they discovered that a piston in the rear suspension was leaking, and ordered a replacement. I've been waiting since August, and they've stopped responding for emails. At this point I'm waiting for the rumored Renton service location to open up before trying again. It's incredibly frustrating.
Did replacing the piston solve the problem? I have a creaking noise coming from the rear of the car. I’ve been to the service center four times and they can’t identify the cause. Last time they replaced the sway bars.