Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banging Sound Beneath The Car - While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

G.D.H

Aug 29, 2021
NJ
I took my first road trip with my 2022 Model Y which I‘ve had for 6 weeks. I went from NJ to Vermont. Along the way, I heard an occasional ”bang” sound from beneath my feet, where I assume the batteries are. Is this common? I think I heard it once while at a Super Charger in Albany too.

Other than the occasional “bangs” the car did great and the range was as expected - even with the heat on the entire trip.

This is common on the 3 and Y.... It's the metal casing over the batteries flexing when the car twists and also during extreme temperature changes. Some people have had success getting it fixed with foam padding. The new structural battery packs coming out of Austin should not have this issue as they will have no casing.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and G.D.H
This is common on the 3 and Y.... It's the metal casing over the batteries flexing when the car twists and also during extreme temperature changes. Some people have had success getting it fixed with foam padding. The new structural battery packs coming out of Austin should not have this issue as they will have no casing.
This is very helpful. Thank you.