Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery chemical reaction. It's normal.... for now; unless a model 3 explodes. lol
The noise itself certainly doesn't come from a chemical reaction, unless you're referring to just the heat generation from the chemical reaction. As mentioned farther upstream in this thread, the noise is from a piece of sheet metal expanding or contracting from changes in temperature or air pressure, and the flex/curve shape finally pops to be curved in the other direction. It is sometimes referred to as "oil canning", since some people are familiar with metal cans of oil or gasoline that are sealed and will make this same metallic pop sound if they heat up or cool down a lot.

Hey everyone,

Excited to say I finally take delivery of my M3 on Wednesday at the CHI location. It's going to be a long 5 days...

I've seen an increasing number of videos of weird noises coming M3's while they're charging. To me, it sounds like the battery pack expending as it charges, but I wouldn't think that's a good thing. Has anyone else heard these noises? Anyone have any factual input as to what it is? I'll link a couple of the videos below....

The second video here is the contactors engaging. There is a separate sound for them releasing. Unrelated to the noises when Supercharging.

Reactions: Robipad
My 3 makes a BANG whenever it wakes up.

If you're talking about the 'clunk clunk' noise that happens a few seconds after opening a door, that's the high voltage contractors powering up the car. This is by design and won't go away. The "bang" noise can be MUCH louder, and is not intended to happen. Its supposedly caused by a pressure imbalance inside the battery that causes expansion/contraction of the metal that causes the bang sound. This is more likely to happen when its cold outside and the battery is generating heat from being supercharged.

The TSB makes it sound like the issue doesn't affect reliability or safety. Is there any reason to think that Tesla is downplaying the seriousness of the issue? If so, I'll probably get mine fixed; but if it really isn't a concern for anything but the annoyance of hearing the sounds, I don't think I will, since I'm rarely in my car when I Supercharge it, so it really doesn't bother me. (I can't even be 100% certain that my car is affected, in fact, although given that it's six months old, I assume it is.)

The TSB makes it sound like the issue doesn't affect reliability or safety. Is there any reason to think that Tesla is downplaying the seriousness of the issue? If so, I'll probably get mine fixed; but if it really isn't a concern for anything but the annoyance of hearing the sounds, I don't think I will, since I'm rarely in my car when I Supercharge it, so it really doesn't bother me. (I can't even be 100% certain that my car is affected, in fact, although given that it's six months old, I assume it is.)
The sound is from releasing excess pressure via breather valves. I personally think it’s more than just the sound to be concerned about (this does not happen in Model S or X) and worth the time to do the fix to me.

It is probably not an very serious issue but at the same time Tesla has reasons enough not to overload an already much to small service organisation with less serious issues. The sound itself is not a problem but material fatigue may become an issue in the long run. See the probably cause this video:

Reactions: webbah
Wow. I just was sitting in my car during a 20% to 75% supercharging session and holy cow those thumps scared the crap out of me. They’re not the “subtle” ones when waking the car from sleep or anything, these are full on metallic BANGS.

Does anyone know how long the change takes and if a mobile ranger can do it? I’ll be at a service center in a couple hours to pick up some TPMS but I didn’t have them schedule an actual appointment since nothing needed done with the car... however I might try to push they do this service bulletin if it’s 15 to 20 minutes worth of work since I’m 3+ hours away from a service center...

Wow. I just was sitting in my car during a 20% to 75% supercharging session and holy cow those thumps scared the crap out of me. They’re not the “subtle” ones when waking the car from sleep or anything, these are full on metallic BANGS.

Does anyone know how long the change takes and if a mobile ranger can do it? I’ll be at a service center in a couple hours to pick up some TPMS but I didn’t have them schedule an actual appointment since nothing needed done with the car... however I might try to push they do this service bulletin if it’s 15 to 20 minutes worth of work since I’m 3+ hours away from a service center...
TSB says its a 25 minute job...