Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banned from Parking Garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled into a parking garage in Manhattan yesterday morning and was stunned to be turned away by the attendant. He was very apologetic, but said he had been instructed by the company not to accept Model Ss. When I asked why, he said he was told they were too expensive, and the liability and repair costs were too high. I had to get to a meeting (and find another parking spot), so I wasn't in a position to stay and debate the matter. The next parking garage was very happy to take the car. Indeed the attendant made a point of putting it in a prime spot and engaging me in conversation about it. That is more my usual experience.

Has anyone else been turned away from a parking garage before?

I pulled into a parking garage in Manhattan yesterday morning and was stunned to be turned away by the attendant. He was very apologetic, but said he had been instructed by the company not to accept Model Ss. When I asked why, he said he was told they were too expensive, and the liability and repair costs were too high. I had to get to a meeting (and find another parking spot), so I wasn't in a position to stay and debate the matter. The next parking garage was very happy to take the car. Indeed the attendant made a point of putting it in a prime spot and engaging me in conversation about it. That is more my usual experience.

Has anyone else been turned away from a parking garage before?

Sounds like a bit of confusion between allowing them to park and allowing them to charge.

I pulled into a parking garage in Manhattan yesterday morning and was stunned to be turned away by the attendant. He was very apologetic, but said he had been instructed by the company not to accept Model Ss. When I asked why, he said he was told they were too expensive, and the liability and repair costs were too high.

NJS would you mind mentioning which garage you were turned away from? Do they have an EVSE for charging too or were you just parking there for convenience/pricing reasons?

I worry that as BEVs become more common they will be turned away because garages don't want to deal with BEV issues. They put up with it now b/c there are not so many BEVs on the road, but as the number increases, it becomes more problematic.

NJS would you mind mentioning which garage you were turned away from? Do they have an EVSE for charging too or were you just parking there for convenience/pricing reasons?

I worry that as BEVs become more common they will be turned away because garages don't want to deal with BEV issues. They put up with it now b/c there are not so many BEVs on the road, but as the number increases, it becomes more problematic.

What issues are those? Are we talking ICEing? or BEVs that burst into fl*** when plugged in, or other such unsubstantiated rumors. Some of these issues are based purely on ignorance of fact and stories written up in auto mags as supposed humor, or printed in newspapers as a reporter's experience. I wonder. The owners of these parking garages are often the older investor trying to make a buck, don't understand the technology and don't want to be bothered. Oh, and they failed physics in high school, too. I know. They were in my class.

Am wondering if they've found that a leeetle ding that costs $X to fix in a Jaguar costs $4X in an aluminum-skinned Model S????????

I have a nasty little chuckle every time I think of all the F-150 drivers who are going to be hit with that bit of news the next time they bring their svelte new truck in to fix a ding.

This is outrageous, how can he ban you like that!??! Sue him for discrimination! I have never heard of such a thing before.

Yeah, you'd think this would throw up some civil rights flags. I can see turning someone away due to lack of space or something but not due to the car they drive.

Do they only accept rusted-out ****boxes that are cheap to repair in their garage? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: