Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baptism by fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's a mid-life crisis but I LIKE it because it includes a new Tesla 70S. Took delivery mid-February and my cheeks hurt from smiling. About to do a cross country trip to move to Texas from Santa Barbara in about three weeks. West Texas is completely devoid of Super Chargers so will take the Northern route which adds about 400 miles to the trip Any tips for a newbie on this drive? Also, I have heard Tesla and Texas are a bit at odds, hoping that this Californian will not be run out of town with my non-gas-needing purdy pony.

If you’re taking the Supercharger-enabled route, then I don’t think many tips are needed.

I guess I have a couple if this is your first long trip. I don’t recommend trying to skip a Supercharger, because it looks “doable” at around 200 to 220 miles. It may be really tight, and you will be worrying, plus, if you are trying to fill up really full to make the longer jump, it gets really slow at the top end of the battery. Most of the long-timers recommend what we call “splash and dash”. Stop at each one, unless they are ridiculously close, like 30 miles apart or something. When you plug in, set the navigation for the next one, and then look at the “Trips” tab in the energy application on the screen. It will be showing a projected battery percent at your arrival. Target that for a remaining buffer you like. Around 15-20% is pretty good for me. Then, you can keep an eye on that remaining buffer as you drive to see whether you may need to slow a little, or have room to speed up.